Problem syncing Windows to Android

Options
DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
edited November 2014 in Android
This discussion was split from the Dropbox sync not working between Windows desktop and laptop thread in the 1Password for Windows forum.

Comments

• mfsaltz
    mfsaltz
    Community Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

I have a similar problem. I'm a new user. I installed 1Password on my windows desktop. After installing, I realized I wanted to use Dropbox so I could sync my Android device (Galaxy S5) I had a few passwords already generated, and I already had a Dropbox account. I followed these directions from the website:

You’re ready to set up Dropbox so you can share and sync your 1Password data with other computers and mobile devices.

Follow these steps to put your 1Password data under Dropbox sync control:

1. Launch 1Password for Windows, and click on the Preferences tool.

2. On the General tab, click on the Move to Dropbox button.

3. Wait for Dropbox to finish copying your data up to your private dropbox.com web site.

The problem is with the last step. It never copies my data to my private dropbox, and never creates the 1Password.agilekeychain vault. I created a folder for the vault, but that didn't help. It remains empty. The vault in 1Password is C:\Users\XXX\DropboxApps\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain: after I clicked
    "moved to Dropbox"

So on my Android device I have my original Dropbox account, and I downloaded the app. When I chose I already had 1Password, it asks for my Master Password, and it doesn't recognize it.

I'm sure it's user error, but some direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance

-Mick-

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yes, 1Password for Android has (if I understand it correctly) specific requirements for where your 1Password vault is saved and what it's named.

I think it needs to be [Dropbox-root-folder]\1Password\1Password.agilekeychain, but I'm moving your question to the 1Password for Android forum where it will get the expert attention it deserves.

Thank you for using 1Password, @mfsaltz‌!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

If you click on the Dropbox icon in the systray and select Open Dropbox Folder, does the folder that it opens contain your vault?
    From what you said I'd expect the opened folder to be "C:\Users\XXX\DropboxApps". Is it?

• mfsaltz
    mfsaltz
    Community Member
    Options

Yes...the vault appears to be there, but nothing was ever migrated there, and no password I save goes there.

• Hey @mfsaltz‌! 1Password for Android does allow you to select the 1Password data folder from any location within your Dropbox account. You may need to locate the data folder manually if 1Password does not find it in the default locations. If you are prompted to enter the master password without the choice of selecting a data folder, you might have already selected one previously. In this case, you will need to reinstall 1Password for Android and reconfigure sync to the new location. Let me know if that works.

• EuForisch
    EuForisch
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

From observation: There is a text file in the root of your drop-box by the name ".ws.agile.1Password.settings"
    It contains the real location of the 1password data in the form: (just one line)

Directory/Directory/repositoryfilename.agilekeychain

This file is hidden by default in the local drop-box copy, you can see it via the drop-box web interface.

BRG Martin
    Ps: You probably never want to make that file shared/publicly visible

• saad
    Options

1Password on Android does read the .ws.agile.1Password.settings file to locate the data folder but it does not depend on it. If the path to the folder in the file is valid, the user may see a prompt asking them if they would like to use the vault. From here, the user can choose the vault or browse their Dropbox account to locate another vault.

This discussion has been closed.