Changing the Secondary Vault Password [Not Possible ATM]

slipangle
slipangle
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

In the past, I read that the secondary vault had to be deleted and re-created in order to change the password of the secondary vault.

Is this still the case?

Is there a way to change the secondary vault password?

Thanks for the help all!

Comments

• Hi @slipangle,

It is not yet possible to change the master password to any of your secondary vaults, this is something we plan to add in a future update, and I've added you to our list of requests on this.

You might also find this article helpful if you need to change the master password to prevent someone from getting into your secondary vault: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/revoking-access-to-a-shared-vault

Request ID #: OPM-1646

• tranceme
    tranceme
    Community Member

Add me the list of requestors. I really wanted to use this to share vaults with my team at work. But, we need to rotate the password on the vault often. Be nice to be able to do this.

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tranceme‌,

I just added you to our list of requests :smiley:

Cheers!

Rad

• klaas
    klaas
    Community Member

As far as I understand secondary vaults are a very new feature of one password and one cannot change their passwords. Can we expect to get an option to change the password of a secondary vault until 2019 or at least in "1Password 9"?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @Klass,

Hopefully much sooner than that. :D

We do have plans to make it flexible, we're just getting started with multiple vaults as you correctly pointed out that it is a relatively new feature of 1Password.

• garrettoreilly
    garrettoreilly
    Community Member

I'd also like to be added to the list of requesters!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Hi @garrettoreilly‌

Thanks so much for adding your vote here!

I do want to mention that, while it isn't easy to change the password of a secondary vault, if it's absolutely necessary to do so, there is a 'hard way', which essentially involves re-creating the vault, as the original poster suggested.

Here's how I'd suggest doing this:

• Use File > Backup (just in case)
    • Create a brand-new secondary vault with the password, colour, icon and name that you wish to use
    • In the 'old' secondary vault, select all items.
    • Right-click on the list view and select the Share > 'new vault-name' > Move
    • Once all your items are safely stowed in the new vault, switch back to the old vault and use 1Password > Delete 'old' vault.

I hope this helps!

• srfrgrl1
    srfrgrl1
    Community Member

This drove me crazy too, because I keep vaults for my mother (in her late 70's) and a couple of family members, so when I installed my mom's vault on her computer, it was a real challenge to change the PW to an easier one for her. Anyway, I inadvertently discovered that there is a workaround.

If you sync with Drop Box and share the vault backup file with a remote computer, the file on the remote computer becomes the primary vault (on remote computer). Of course the remote has to have Drop Box and 1 Password installed. Here are the steps:

1. Share the vault from your Drop Box to the remote person's Drop Box account. You must allow sync and edit capabilities for the file.
    2. They have to accept the invitation to view file. The file will show up something like: user.(1)agilekeychain. I change the file name to user.agilekeychain, i.e., delete the "(1)" so it becomes the original vault name. You'll get a message saying you're no longer sharing "user.(1)agilekeychain"…that's fine.
    3. Now you can change the Master Password on the remote computer. This change will automatically sync to the original computer as well.

This is a great feature, not only for the PW issue, but the syncing allows my mother's vault to always be in sync with my computer if she makes changes, adds new accounts, etc, and vise-versa.

Also, if you don't like syncing your vaults through Drop Box, you can just take the file out of Drop Box after the PW change is made, and sync to your computer. I used to only sync to my computer, but had to start using Drop Box to have 1 Password on my iPhone. Wasn't sure at first, but think it's OK.

Agile Bits, please don't change this!!

• MichelMorat
    MichelMorat
    Community Member

+1
    Please let us change uncritical vault data (ring color, photo), and secondary vault password
    Thanks a lot.

Cordialement,

Michel

• MikeT
    edited January 2015

Hi guys,

@srfrgrl1, that works as well. It's just that it is difficult to do it when you don't have access to other computer(s), like sharing with friends and co-workers, they're certainly not going to let you remotely access their computers. We do plan to make this easier, I think you're going to like what we have planned for.

@MichelMorat, that's already on the list and I've added your vote to our list.

Thanks!

ref: OPM-900, OPM-1646

• bjoerker
    bjoerker
    Community Member

Hi @Megan

+1 as well.

Meanwhile I tried to change the password from my secondary vault according your instructions. It says: Here’s where you can make all your changes, giving it the name, colour, icon, and password you want.
    The thing is: when I open the local copy of the .agilekeychain and 1Password wants to create a new vault out of this it asks me the original password (as it should) but no way to change it and I'm back to where I started from. Indeed I can define color and name but cannot find a way to change the password.
    Did I overlook something?

Thanks and regards,
    Martino

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Martino ( @bjoerker ),

My apologies! I'll edit my post above to fix that.

Really, the simplest way to change the details of a secondary vault is to create a new vault with the password (and name, colour, icon) that you want, and then select all the items in the 'old' vault, right-click to bring up the menu and select Share > 'new vault' > Move. When all the appropriate items are in the new vault, simply delete the old and empty one.

I'm sorry for the confusion - I hope this helps!

• bjoerker
    bjoerker
    Community Member

Hi @Megan

Thanks for your clarification; your suggestion with creating a new vault is exactly what I was planning to do.
    As always – great customer support! Thanks a lot.

Cheers
    Martino

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Martino ( @bjoerker ),

Happy I was able to help! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

• guitarman21
    guitarman21
    Community Member

+1 to be able to change secondary vault settings and password.

This been an issue since 2013. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16603/change-master-password-of-a-secondary-vault-will-be-improved

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @guitarman21,

I have some good news for you! You'll be happy to know this is something our developers have recently added to the beta version of 1Password 5 for Mac, so (barring any unforeseen circumstances) that feature will hopefully be available in the next stable release. I don't have a timeframe for that, and there's always the possibility that a new feature in a beta version won't be included in the very next stable version, but I do hope the testing goes well so we can have that available as soon as possible.

If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.