Material design [under development]

Fidler
Fidler
Community Member
edited January 2016 in Android

I would love to se material design come to this app....

Comments

• Nurinai
    Nurinai
    Community Member

what kind of material you want?

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member

A little bit of plastic or candy....just kidding...the whole point of android L is the new flat design...just look at gmail maps and so on...and it's called material design...

• saad
    edited January 2015

Hey @Fidler. We are actually working on a Android Lollipop redesign of 1Password! We mentioned this in our latest beta newsletter and provided some screenshots. If you are not yet registered to our beta newsletters, be sure to sign up here.

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member

Thank you...I will.

• You're welcome! Let me know if you have any questions.

• EquinusOcio
    EquinusOcio
    Community Member

Hi :), i've made this material design concept icon for the upcoming android L app.

https://dribbble.com/shots/2080107-1password-Material-Design

1Password Material Design

• Hi @EquinusOcio. Thanks for getting in touch with us!

This is a lovely design concept--thanks for creating it! We have a Material Design redesign in the works for a future release. I'll pass this along to the team for their consideration. :)

Let us know if you have any other ideas! Thanks again!

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Will you add material design in this beta? Because in the last beta you added lull to refresh witch is a material design feature ;)

• Unfortunately, Material Design is not a part of our latest beta, but we are hoping to be able to add it in the future!

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

Material Design is out since June 2014. Now it's August 2015 and still we have no modern looking app we LOVE to use. Seriously: We don't want to wait any more. Please release the redesign now as a beta!

To be honest: I'm glad to have 1password for Android. But it isn't a really good app, there a so many (already mentioned) UX problems. And it's not really AgileBits. AgileBits was a design driven company, but the app isn't. Change it for your brand and for your users.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Android
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Hey @dmacx. Thank you for your support of 1Password. The Android team has already started working on material design for 1Password. There are few changes Google has made since the initial release of material design, and we are making those adjustments in our design mockups. It’s not yet ready for beta testing, but you’ll be among the first to hear when it is. For a little preview of our design, you can check out our fingerprint implementation that's coming for Android M:

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

Hello, I have to agree that its defently time for a material redesign now. Because I can't wait for it.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

But the old design is also nice in its way. And the Fingerprint mockup looks very nice. I think i will have to buy myself a new Phone with a fingerprint scanner will probalby wait for the new nexus :chuffed:

• Thanks @ntimo. It's best to wait for new devices with fingerprint scanners that will support Android M! :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@saad Is there really still going to be no search field on every screen? That was one of the first popular requests when the very first Android beta was launched.

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@EnerJi @saad +1 for this. That would be amazing like the ios app. Wich is way better :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@saad Is there really still going to be no search field on every screen? That was one of the first popular requests when the very first Android beta was launched.

@EnerJi: For the time being, yes. But we may add something like that in a future version. Thanks for letting us know that this would be an important feature for you! :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@brenty Do you have some information of if the next beta will use the new android 6 Apis? And do you have some more 1Pw Material mockups?

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@brenty I hope you do - I understand that feature is available in iOS, although I could be wrong. The Android auto-fill feature works quite well, but when it doesn't work (and it unfortunately doesn't work for all apps or sites), scrolling through hundreds of passwords to get to the right one seems a bit absurd when it could be solved by a one-tap search feature.

In addition - for those apps that 1PW doesn't detect and auto-fill and has me manually select a password, why doesn't 1PW remember the password I entered and auto-fill next time?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty Do you have some information of if the next beta will use the new android 6 Apis? And do you have some more 1Pw Material mockups?

@ntimo: We don't have anything to share at this time; and while I wouldn't presume to speak for the Android team as a whole, I suspect that they'll be excited to do so once they're ready to! :)

I understand that feature is available in iOS, although I could be wrong. The Android auto-fill feature works quite well, but when it doesn't work (and it unfortunately doesn't work for all apps or sites), scrolling through hundreds of passwords to get to the right one seems a bit absurd when it could be solved by a one-tap search feature.

@EnerJi: Understood. To be fair, we also get plenty of 'constructive criticism' regarding the way that search works in for iOS too (and OS X, and Windows...), so there's plenty of room for improvement in search across all platforms. iOS doesn't have the fancy 1Password for Android Keyboard either, for instance. And I suspect that once we have a 'perfect search solution' (or something close to it, if such a thing is possible) we'll be happy to implement it across all platforms. :)

• dmacx
    dmacx
    Community Member

Today I rated 1password with just two stars in Google Play. This should be a motivation to provide us with a Material Design Version and a excellent usability. Three stars more are waiting...

• I'm sorry to hear that. :(

However, we do have big plans for a redesign which we hope to release very soon. Please keep your eye out!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. :( For some reason I rate apps based on how well they live up to their proclaimed featureset, not on what I imagine I'd like them to be someday. To each his own! :unamused:

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Can't wait to see the redesign hit the Android Beta. Any time frame though? Months? Weeks?

• I'll add your vote, thanks! We try to avoid publicly stating any expected release dates, because you never know, you know? But we're certainly hoping for sooner rather than later. :)

• dermeister
    dermeister
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

@EnerJi
    yeah, that's the MOST important thing.
    1st: easy accessible search
    2nd: fast way to copy password
    3rd: fast way to reveal password

For further inspiration, just look at this nice app of Lastpass :)

• Thanks for the suggestions @dermeister!

• mevans10
    mevans10
    Community Member

Can we get any update on the release of the Material version with Fingerprint support? The original version was teased in May, and it's nearly November now. As an Android developer myself I understand that things take time, but the official communication from September (in this very thread) that a release is coming "very soon", and no beta or anything nearly 40 days later is kind of ridiculous.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mevans10: You may have noticed that Android M(arshmallow) was released just 24 days ago. We're working on it, but I don't have a release date to give you, because...well, considering we never gave one in the first place, just imagine how much more frustrated you'd be if we'd given one and missed it! ;)

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Material Design was released with L and that was 357 days ago though. No offense but you guys are really really slow. Saying "very soon" and then nothing for over a month is just not cool. Also, there is a reason for the beta program, you could at least give us a beta with the new features, that's what betas are for. The last beta release was 25 SEP 2015...

Material Design
    OPVault
    Android M permission system
    Fingerprint support

When?

This discussion has been closed.