MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility (mrc-converter-suite)

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@kf0s,

Bump. Are you still interested in the Modified Date being set? I don't know if you saw my reply / question in post #151.

• jcadona
    jcadona
    Community Member

Dear MrC,
    I'm a little confused about which version should I use:
    convert_to_1p4_1.02.zip or convert_to_1p4_1.03.zip
    Thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2015

Hi @jcadona,

No worries!

Use the 1.03 version in the _testing folder if any of these changes are useful or necessary for you:

Version 1.03:
    - New: EssentialPIM converter now available.
    - New: Password Depot converter now available.
    - New: Folder creation is supported, but disabled by default. Password managers that support folders or groups are:
    ewallet, handysafe, keepass2, keepassx, lastpass, msecure, safewallet, splashid. Include the --folders option on
    the command line to enable folders. Tags will still include colon-separated folder hierarchies. See the README
    for caveats when using this option.
    - Fix: The 'location' field was not being set - it is required for 1Password for Window's extension to see the entry.
    - Fix: Typo in README file that left an extra directory level in the conversion command.
    - New: Added Secure Notes export to Keychain converter. Also, added an entry to the table of ignored svce names.

Edit: the 1.03 version has been promoted as stable and is posted.

• jcadona
    jcadona
    Community Member

Thank you very much.

• LamboHT
    LamboHT
    Community Member

1Password Version 5.1 (510027)
    Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 on MacBook Pro (mid 2014)
    Lastpass ver 3.1.89

I exported the Lastpass passwords using the Safari extension which opened up a new tab. I copied the contents and pasted/saved them in a text file and named it pm_export.txt.

I downloaded and unzipped the folder from Dropbox. I put the convert_to_1p4 folder on the desktop. On the desktop now are the convert_to_1p4 folder and the pm_export.txt file.

Here is the Terminal command response

I also included screenshots of my desktop to show you what it looks like and what the convert_to_1p4 folder looks like when opened. For some reason it contains the entire desktop contents.

The problem is that the Terminal Perl command will not work as you seen in the screenshot. What's next ?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2015

Hi @LamboHT,

Remove one set of ../ from the export file pathname on the command line, and try the command again.

Edit: the 1.03 version corrects this issue.

• LamboHT
    LamboHT
    Community Member

same error.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

You want convert_to_1p4.pl with a 1 (one), not an l (letter L).

• LamboHT
    LamboHT
    Community Member

Glad I got a picture ! I got a little farther. Here is what I got this time.
    Pats-MacBook-Pro:convert_to_1p4 Patrick$ perl5.16 convert_to_1p4.pl lastpass -v../pm_export.txt

*** Unknown option: v../pm_export.txt

Usage: convert_to_1p4.pl

converters:
    clipperz ewallet handysafe keepass2 keepassx keychain lastpass msecure safeincloud
    safewallet splashid

options:
    -d or --debug # enable debug output
    -e or --exptypes # comma separated list of one or more export types from list below
    -h or --help # output help and usage text
    -i or --imptypes # comma separated list of one or more import types from list below
    -o or --outfile # use file named ofile.1pif as the output file
    -v or --verbose # output operations more verbosely
    --nowatchtower # do not set creation date for logins to trigger Watchtower checks

supported import types:
    bankacct creditcard database driverslicense email healthinsurance identity instantmessage
    insurance login membership note passport server socialsecurity software sshkey wireless
    supported export types:
    bankacct creditcard database driverslicense email identity login membership note passport
    server socialsecurity software wireless
    Pats-MacBook-Pro:convert_to_1p4 Patrick$

I got the same message when I used -v../../pm_export.txt and -v../pm_export.txt.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Add a space between the -v and the ../pm_export.txt .

• LamboHT
    LamboHT
    Community Member

YES ! Making a space, changing the "l" to a "1", removing one of the "../". Thanks for taking the time to carefully look through this process for me. I never would have know to do any of those things to troubleshoot it. I got the import file created and hopefully smooth sailing from there.

• kf0s
    kf0s
    Community Member

Hello @MrC . Sorry for the delay in replying back to you. A few projects around here have prevented me from accessing the computer too much. For the date copying mentioned in comment #151, I have been using my Mac up to this point for my testing. Again, thank you for the great work. I've seen some posts online with various people wanting to convert to 1Password and certainly the pointer to your utility is the best answer. And thanks for the video. It helps them understand what to do.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@kf0s - No worries. I should be able to get it done for you today or tomorrow.

• kf0s
    kf0s
    Community Member

@MrC Thanks.

Also trying to find the best way on a Widows machine to share Dropbox between users. Need to create a new post for that.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015

@kf0s,

Sorry, I ran into a showstopper.

I wrote the code to set the modified time. However, when the required field is present in the 1PIF, it causes 1Password to crash when there is no UUID field also. And the converter does not create the UUID field; rather, 1Password does this on import.

I'll ask the 1Password folks to look into this, but we may be at a dead end...

Edit 2015-03-08: version 1.04 of the converter was posted in the _testing folder. It requires minimally 1Password 5 Version 5.3.BETA-17 (530017).

• kf0s
    kf0s
    Community Member

@MrC Thanks for trying. Hopefully the 1Password team can make things work.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

The bug was reported and reproduced. Let's wait a few days to see if it's resolved. When it is, I'll send you an update.

• Hendie
    Hendie
    Community Member

Just a quick word of thanks from a brand new 1PW user. Reporting why I converted from SplashID will probably be like preaching to the choir here, but this just to thank you MrC for your conversion utility. With 585 records to convert, you have saved me a whole lot of trouble!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I've promoted version 1.03 to the stable version. The changes from 1.02 are as follows:

Version 1.03:
      - New: EssentialPIM converter now available.
      - New: Password Depot converter now available.
      - New: Folder creation is supported, but disabled by default.  Password managers that support folders or groups are:
        ewallet, handysafe, keepass2, keepassx, lastpass, msecure, safewallet, splashid.  Include the --folders option on
        the command line to enable folders.  Tags will still include colon-separated folder hierarchies.  See the README
        for caveats when using this option.
      - Fix: The 'location' field was not being set - it is required for 1Password for Window's extension to see the entry.
      - Fix: Typo in README file that left an extra directory level in the conversion command.
      - New: Added Secure Notes export to Keychain converter.  Also, added an entry to the table of ignored svce names.

• vikram
    vikram
    Community Member

hi MrC

thanks for this, but i seem to be running into an error. Im currently using the following

Mac OSX Yosemite, 1Password 5 (Version 5.1 (510035)), KeePassX 0.4.3

When i run the conversion tool, i get the attached error message..

Any idea what is going wrong please?

vikram

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015

Hi @vikram,

Is that a TXT file export, or an XML export? Your error looks like the error you get when a .TXT file export is tried (instead of the XML export file).

The XML export would begin with the lines:

<!DOCTYPE KEEPASSX_DATABASE>
    <database>
     <group>

You can see these lines in TextEdit.

• vikram
    vikram
    Community Member

Hi @MrC

Many thanks for your quick reply. I had indeed used the .txt file export, since that is what the ReadMe file refers to, please see screenshot attached. I changed it to the .xml file export, and your utility is working great! I have started using 1Password 5, and yeah, it rocks!

vikram

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Great!

i think you might have missed this section in the README:

• KeePassX

Launch KeePassX, and export its database to a text file using the File > Export to > KeePassX XML File... menu. Navigate to your Desktop folder, and save the file with the name pm_export.txt to your Desktop. You may now quit KeePassX.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015

@kf0s,

I have posted a test version (1.04) to the _testing folder. It includes a new --modified option for the SplashID converter to set the modified date. This requires using minimally 1Password 5 Version 5.3.BETA-17 (530017). Prior versions of 1Password will crash when importing a generated 1PIF file when this option is specified.

Version 1.04:
      - New: Option --modified will set the 'last modified' field for a 1Password entry based on the exported modification
        date provided by a password manager's export data.  See 'Option: --modified' in the README file.

Please give it a try when you have a chance and let me know how it works for you.

• kf0s
    kf0s
    Community Member

@MrC I am already running Beta-17 and have pulled your test version. I'll give it a try tomorrow evening and let you know.

Thanks again.

• andygarcia
    andygarcia
    Community Member

Using version 1.03 none of the history to my KeePass 2 entries are retained (creation date, previous passwords, etc.). Retaining this information and metadata is crucial for me to make the switch to agilebits (currently using the trial).

Is this possible to import?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @andygarcia,

I didn't not bother maintaining the history of each KeePass 2 entry. How would you envision that history being preserved in 1Password? Unique entries? In the item's plain text notes?

• andygarcia
    andygarcia
    Community Member

@MrC I at the very least need the previous passwords to also be available as that functionality is part of 1Password, right?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

If you've used strong, random passwords in the past, the likelihood of changing an entry's password to one you used in KeePass2 is very, very low.

Each History entry in KeePass 2 has the previous values for the various fields. What cannot be imported in an equivalent fashion is the change of other non-Password fields, such as Username. So an old Password might only correspond to the old Username as well, or an old URL.

That said, if you only want the history of those passwords, I can look into adding them to the Previously used passwords list. The other history entries could be added as part of Notes, delineated by modification date. It's a fair amount of work, so that's why I punted.

• tonyv32
    tonyv32
    Community Member

MrC....YOU ROCK! Your converter is amazing!

This discussion has been closed.