sync synced backwards and lost all my new data

Options
elh
elh
Community Member

1password was not syncing properly between my desktop and laptop. I thought it might be because dropbox was full. I deleted most of my files from dropbox and it synced but in the wrong direction. Everything recent that I had added that I have no other back up for is completely gone! It replaced all my new info with the old outdated stuff. Is there any way to get it back? I should never have trusted this program! The computer with the current info that it deleted was running 5. The laptop was running 4 because it's not on Yosemite. It seems to have synced even to an earlier version than I had on the laptop -- really old stuff.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Both versions of 1P that you use should have been making automatic backups. Have you tried to restore one of those backups from the time before the problem? (Go to 1P > Preferences > Backup and you'll be able to highlight a backup to restore.)

Stephen

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@elh

Its not 1Password, its Dropbox that caused your issues.

Dropbox has a rare known issue where it will often sync old documents over new, if one of the computers has been off for an extended period of time. That computer totally confuses the sync mechanism when it adds in the old data.

This could occur in situations where you had Dropbox full for a long period of time. I myself have seen it in the forums (Dropbox) and the staff also recommend not allowing the program to go for extended periods of time not syncing. The key to preventing it is not let Dropbox go without syncing for long periods of time. I make sure and not let mine go past 1 week. I shoot for every 3 or 4 days. 2 Weeks makes me nervous personally.

I seldom worry thought as now almost always I am connected. As @Stephen_C said restore from a backup is your best solution. I urge you to check other documents you have some of them may also have reverted.

If you find lots of issues you can ask the staff for a rollback. Dropbox Support Ticket

• When you get an automated reply from Dropbox make sure and reply saying yes I still have the issue. If not you will not get help. Unless you are a Pro or business customer. Which Dropbox treats differently as they are paid accounts.

~thightower 1Password and Dropbox moderator.

• Hi @elh,

You should be able to restore from the backup that 1Password automatically creates for you daily and it is not related to the data stored in Dropbox, it is stored elsewhere. To restore, open the main 1Password app on the right Mac and go to the File Menu > Restore and select the backup created the day before your data was reset to the previous version.

Please let us know if you managed to get it restored.

This discussion has been closed.