Upgrading from 1Password v3 to v5

Options
scottcave
scottcave
Community Member

Hello,

I downloaded the new version 5.01 to my iPhone 5S tonight. I am trying to migrate the date from v3 to v5 but v3 never completes the export. I have deleted v5 several times and then redownloaded it, but every time I tell it to upgrade from an earlier version it opens v3, asks me if I want to migrate data, and then it doesn't do anything to migrate data. It never asks for a Master Password or anything.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

Comments

• Hi Scott,

Try this:

1. Reinstall 1Password 5 for iOS but don't open it
    2. Open 1Password 3 for iOS, it should detect a newer version of 1Password is installed and if you'd like to import the data into the new 1Password. Tap on that and then tap on Open in 1Password in the Share View that it pops up.
    3. It should then take you to 1Password 5, go through the setup, make sure you use the same master password as the one in 1Password 3 for iOS.
    4. Unlock 1Password 5 and it should then start migrating data. You'll see the import status show up on top of your screen. It might take a while to finish.

Does this work?

• scottcave
    scottcave
    Community Member
    Options

Mike, no this does not work. 1Password3 no longer asks me if I would like to import data. One time when I was entering my passcode into 1Password3, the screen popped up about the import and I clicked on the Never Ask button accidentally. How can I get my data into 1Password5? I have exported the data file to my Mac, although I do not own 1Password for Mac.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @scottcave,

If you tapped the Never Ask option, the only way to get 1Password 3 to give the import option again is to delete & reinstall the 1Password 3 app. Before you do that, you'll need to backup your 1Password 3 data first. It sounds like you may have done that, but please follow the steps at this link to make sure: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

You should now have a .1ptbackup file saved on your Mac - make sure you know where this file is, and keep it safe! When you're ready, continue with these steps:

• On your iPhone, go to App Store > Updates > Purchased and search for 1Password there. Make sure version 3 appears in your purchase history. If it does not, stop here and let us know!
    • If 1Password 3 is listed in your purchase history, close the App Store, then delete 1Password 3 from your iPhone.
    • Go back to App Store > Updates > Purchased, find 1Password 3, and tap the cloud icon to reinstall it.
    • Open 1Password 3 and set up the Unlock Code and Master Password (if it prompts you to import, tap Later).
    • Restore your data to 1Password 3 by following the steps for Restoring Data from a Backup here: https://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

At this point your data should be restored to 1Password 3. If so, continue with the following steps:

• Double-click the Home button on the device and swipe up on 1Password 3 and 1Password 5 to close those apps.
    • Open 1Password 3 again, and this time choose to import data to the new version.

Let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.