New Products

BoogieStik
BoogieStik
Community Member
edited November 2010 in Lounge
Suggestion for new product direction
As an inveterate listmaker, since the earliest days of the Palm Pilot I have found personal database apps to be among the most useful. Dedicated, non-general-purpose personal database apps fall in three primary categories: security, shopping lists and to-do lists.

1Password is unquestionably the ultimate personal security database application, particularly on the Mac platform. Personal database apps in the other two categories are problematic, and even after many years of refinement the ultimate solution remains elusive.

Part of the problem stems from individual customer preferences and valuations of the tradeoffs involved with features and complications that arise from associated feature sets. More than anything else, though, the big problem with personal database apps lies with the difficulty in syncing the apps with their associated host applications.

As Agile is the developer of the most elegant and trouble-free syncing solution for a personal database app in my experience, I implore Agile to consider writing software for these other categories also. Code that was used for 1Password should be usable for them as well, and since security is much less an issue with them, further development should be much easier than developing for 1Password.

Having tried literally dozens of shopping list apps and dozens of to-do list apps, I know exactly what I want in them, and would be happy to offer suggestions. Individual preferences are highly subjective, however, even if only due to lack of experience—my experience has led me to prefer targeted simplicity over extensive feature sets—and so the key element might be "flexibility." That wouldn't be a difficult thing to implement; it might well be easier than the alternative.

Don't let the fact that there are dozens of these apps out there deter you. It's a testament to the fact that people are frustrated with what exists, and still hungry for better solutions. Even after buying dozens of these apps, I don't forget that I used to pay as much for a year's refill for my DayRunner. Wise people will always seek ways to be more productive, and will be willing to pay to do so.

Comments

• BoogieStik
    BoogieStik
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Hi BoogieStik,

Thanks so much for the kind words about 1Password, we really do appreciate them.

We're always open to new ideas here at Agile, but right now our focus for development is on 1Password, Knox and AllBookmarks. Believe it or not, we're a fairly small team and so our resources are somewhat limited and I think it's fair to say that Dave and Roustem have a real passion for creating great software, but it has to be something they'd use themselves.

We'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind, but I can't promise if we'll ever go into the to-do list or shopping app market.

Thanks again,

Stu,

I appreciate your considerate reply.

Have to wonder: why wouldn't such apps be something Dave or Roustem would use themselves? If neither is using a to-do list or shopping list app currently--apps which, at their high end, merge to become project management software--then what do they use ? Do other people manage their agendas, and do all their shopping for them?

Each of these apps/programs is, at heart, nothing more than a custom database. 1Password primarily answers a specific user question: now that I am at this site, what security information do I need? Likewise, to-do list apps primarily answer a specific question: given that I am at this point, what should I do now? Shopping list apps similarly answer a specific question: now that I am at this location, what should I buy? To-do list apps and shopping list apps are far simpler than 1Password, being less automated, more user-driven, and requiring little or no encryption. Piece of cake.

Thanks for listening, Stu.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    As much as I'd love to see Agile head in that direction, I don't blame them for wanting to get sleep and spend time away from their computers now and then.

And with their families! :-)

This is one of the few companies I have ever worked for where family time is not just given lip service but practically "enforced." It really is a beautiful thing.
This discussion has been closed.