WiFi sync won't work since the update

Options
Tezcatlipoca
Tezcatlipoca
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

I'm running 1Password v 5.1 (Mac App Store) on an iMac with OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, and 1Password v 5.2 on an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.3.

WiFi syncing always used to work fine before the recent 1Password for OS X update, but now I can't get it to work at all.

If I bring up the WiFi sync window on the Mac version and then go to WiFi sync on my iPhone, no Mac is listed and no passphrase is listed. There is nothing to sync with, and refreshing does nothing.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Tezcatlipoca,

We made a lot of changes to WiFi sync in 1Password 5.1 for Mac and 1Password 5.2 for iOS. Could you please make sure your Mac's WiFi server is setup per this guide?

Thanks!

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Yup, it's set up correctly, and I've not changed anything.

It just does not work anymore...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tezcatlipoca,

If your Mac and iPhone are on the same Wi-Fi network, and you're following these steps to set up Wi-Fi sync, but your Mac doesn't show up in 1Password on your iPhone, here are a few things you can try:

• Disable and re-enable Wi-Fi sync on your Mac and iPhone, then try again
    • Reboot the Mac and each iOS device and try again
    • Restart your router and try again

Also, when you have the issue, check to make sure your iPhone is still connected to the Wi-Fi network. If the Mac still doesn't show up in 1Password for iOS, it could be a firewall issue. Please check this setting:

• Open the System Preferences app on the Mac
    • Select Security & Privacy
    • Choose Firewall

Is this enabled? If so, please disable it, then try setting up Wi-Fi Sync again.

Let us know how it goes up to this point, and if it's still a problem we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Disabling/re-enabling didn't help, but I've just rebooted my iPhone and my iMac and it's started working again :)

Don't know why it died, but at least it's OK now.

Thanks for the help! Maybe I should have tried that first, lol.

One question, though - with the new OS X version, how do you generate a new secret? There doesn't seem to be an option, anymore.

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

@Tezcatlipoca right click on the secret it pop's up a dialog box saying;generate new secret.

• Hi @Tezcatlipoca,

I'm glad to hear it's working now. :)

Like venos mentioned, right click on the existing secret and you'll be shown the generate new secret option.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• jsoo
    jsoo
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue as OP, using same versions of OS X and 1Password on both the Mac and device (iPad in my case). Restarting both machines, generating a new secret, turning off firewall -- will not sync. Error message is:

Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=61 "The operation couldn't be completed. Connection refused"

• Ben
    Options

Hi @jsoo,

Please try using an AdHoc WiFi network to eliminate the connection as a possible source of trouble:

Thanks.

• jsoo
    jsoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you -- using an ad hoc network I get a Code=60 ... operation timed out error. After generating another new secret and trying again, I get error 51 "network is unreachable".

BTW, under Yosemite there is no longer a WEP option when generating an ad hoc network.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jsoo,

If the operation is timing out, it sounds like their might be something blocking communication. Could you have a read through our article on how to Configure a proxy server or firewall - does this help?

• jsoo
    jsoo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Enabling and configuring a proxy server as per the linked instructions did not help. However, I was able to sync using an ad hoc network with the firewall disabled. I am pretty sure I had tried this before, but anyway this time it worked. Not the most convenient way to sync so I suppose I shall have to look into Dropbox.

• jsoo
    jsoo
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox will not be a good solution for me. Comparing notes with my wife, she is having no problems with wifi sync on our home network. We're using the same versions of 1Password on iPad and Mac. Different hardware, but another difference I noted is that I have purchased the Pro features and she has not. I haven't set up multiple vaults, but I'm wondering if this could be a factor?

• @jsoo, another thing to try is to check the Sharing name in System Preferences under Sharing. Make sure the computer name doesn't have a (2) (or another number) after it. If it does, remove it and try again. There's a known issue in Yosemite where the computer name gets changed under some circumstances and it can mess up local network connections.

• jsoo
    jsoo
    Community Member
    Options

That wasn't it, but that helped me find it. I hadn't realized my firewall settings were reset after upgrading to OS X.10, nor had I noticed this on looking at the configuration as per earlier suggestion. Seems to be working now. Thanks for all the help.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @jsoo. Glad to hear setting the firewall up correctly resolved the issue for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.