1Password, is it really for me? I hope so.

ItsAdventureTime
ItsAdventureTime
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Mac

Hi,

I used to be a LastPass user and I was trying to evaluate them while they gave me a free 6 months premium because I used my school's email address. Now, because of too much issues with LastPass I became really lazy to inform them about it.

Right now, I am evaluating Dashlane but looking forward to do the same with 1Password. I hope that the issues that you will be seeing below does not exist in 1Password or feature requests that should, can or currently exist in 1Password.

1. When accessing my Dropbox account, the said password manager prompted me to save my password. After which, I entered the wrong password. So, I logged back in and it asked me to save the login details. I was expecting it to ask me to replace the current saved password. I still used the same email address though.

2. This issue happens with other sites, when you entered a wrong password and tried to enter the right one, the new password is not saved in the password manager.

3. When the password manager asks to save the login info for a specific site, it does not have the right category. A real time update feature would be great.

These are the sites that does not have any categories at all:

a. Change Detection (changedetection.com)
b. Cloudflare (cloudflare.com)
c. Crissic (crissic.net)
d. Flavors (flavors.me)
e. imgUR (imgur.com)
f. Mediafire (mediafire.com)
g. oDesk (odesk.com)
h. Online OCR (onlineocr.net)
i. OVH UK (ovh.co.uk)
j. OVH US (ovh.com, ovh.us)
k. OVH Ireland (ovh.ie)
l. Ramnode (ramnode.com)
m. revu (re.vu)
n. TestMyNet (testmy.net)
o. Versionista (versionista.com)
p. Vultr (vultr.com)
q. WooThemes (woothemes.com)
r. Xisto (xisto.org)
s. Zoho (zoho.com)

1. A feature that automatically updates and adds new categories.

2. A feature that will auto-login to all websites or various websites. Also, the ability to make multiple logins set to "automatically login".

3. Retina support.

4. I have to click the actual form field in order for the menu or popup that shows info about me, which is annoying. It should automatically appear when a specific form field is on focus. For example, my usernames or email addresses.

5. I have no idea the meaning of the icons on the password manager app and the extension. There should always be tooltips.

6. For the password changer feature, I was actually happy with the feature that allows me to adjust a few things and save it as default. However, what if I really wanted to make it the factory default settings? The original settings that came when I installed the password manager. There's no way to do that. It's lost.

7. A feature to remove and update duplicate site entries and password entries would be great.

8. The icons of the passwords/websites does not properly appear using the password manager's browser extension.

9. Password Generator length should be up to 100 characters. Just like this site (https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm).

10. The web version of the said password manager is read-only. What if I suddenly have to change or update my password for a specific website, how can I update it? Why not create a "light" version of the password manager for web yet it should be productive too. It would be useful if people are using public computers.

11. The ability to generate passwords using the desktop client, just like what browser extensions do.

12. The ability to identify if a website is basically the same but with different domain extension. Example, the website OVH has different regional sites each with different domain name extension. Regardless, they only accept the same username/email and password. Dashlane is confused with it and has to continuously saves new passwords and form fill details.

13. When the password manager prompts to save a login info, it saves the wrong info. For example, the website requests to enter a username, an email and a password. It prompts to save the email address and the password instead of the username. However, there is no way to change the prompted email address or username in order to replace it with the correct one.

14. This is regarding the form fill feature, there should be a “Nickname” field not just usernames. Also, the ability to add multiple usernames would be great.

15. When I am trying to enter my router info (192.168.x.x), the password manager prompts me to save the login info which I accepted. The problem is, it does not auto login.

16. A way to organize form fills and logins just like in LastPass. There should be multiple profiles. For example, logins and form fills for Work and for Home.

17. By default, I am not automatically logged in with PayPal and I don't know why. You should have a site that shows up databases of websites that should be automatically logged in by default, vice-versa with an explanation.

18. Just like what I said with the previous number, a list of sites that automatically logs in a user upon saving the login info by default and the reason why that feature is disabled in a specific website.

19. Can it be used when logging in to OS X and Windows-based apps?

20. Network admins or System admins who uses Proxmox to manage their multiple number of VPS clients are not able to save their login details using Dashlane. No prompt to save info appears.

So, what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

Thanks for taking the time to write this down and for considering 1Password next. I've split out my reply into three posts here, be sure to read the next two as the forum has a limit of how long your reply can be.

When accessing my Dropbox account, the said password manager prompted me to save my password. After which, I entered the wrong password. So, I logged back in and it asked me to save the login details. I was expecting it to ask me to replace the current saved password. I still used the same email address though.

In the auto-save dialog, you can select the option to update the Login instead of changing it, like so:

You can do this either for updating an existing Login or if you're changing your email address, you can use that option to update the Login. There's also the option to manually update the Login here.

This issue happens with other sites, when you entered a wrong password and tried to enter the right one, the new password is not saved in the password manager.

This will happen on some sites regardless of which password manager you're using because of the way the site designs their Login forms. Some of them don't do it properly and that confuses the password manager. You will have to update your Login manually for some sites.

We're always working on our browser extensions to improve compatibilities with sites that have been reported to us.

When the password manager asks to save the login info for a specific site, it does not have the right category. A real time update feature would be great.

We do not have categories for Logins. We do support tags and folders and when you click on the down arrow in the auto-save prompt, you'd be able to tag and/or put it in a folder like so:

A feature that will auto-login to all websites or various websites. Also, the ability to make multiple logins set to "automatically login".

We do not support auto-login, we consider it as a security risk, which has been validated in a security research paper submitted last year.

We are hearing from many former LastPass customers they'd like to have this option after getting a warning, so we might consider this for the future.

Retina support.

We definitely support Retina, we were one of the first to adopt the support for it when the first Retina Macs came out. We are generally quick to adopting new Mac and iOS technologies when it comes out.

I have to click the actual form field in order for the menu or popup that shows info about me, which is annoying. It should automatically appear when a specific form field is on focus. For example, my usernames or email addresses.

With 1Password, you just press Command + \ keyboard shortcut and it automatically populates your data. If you have multiple Logins for the same site, it'll give you a menu to select from. If you set the auto-submit to be on, 1Password will also automatically fill and submit the form for you when you press CMD+.

I have no idea the meaning of the icons on the password manager app and the extension. There should always be tooltips.

In 1Password, we do try to avoid use of icons without any text next to it in order for the app to be accessible. Here's a view of the extension:

You can find out more in our guide here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/1password-mini

For the password changer feature, I was actually happy with the feature that allows me to adjust a few things and save it as default. However, what if I really wanted to make it the factory default settings? The original settings that came when I installed the password manager. There's no way to do that. It's lost.

We do not have that feature in 1Password, we plan to support such a feature in the future.

A feature to remove and update duplicate site entries and password entries would be great.

We have a redundant cleanup tool: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/4/en/topic/security-audit-includes-generated-passwords-when-reporting-duplicates

We also have a feature called Security Audit that'll show you all duplicates, age-related filters, and compromised items via our service called Watchtower:

You can find out more about Watchtower here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/1password-watchtower

The icons of the passwords/websites does not properly appear using the password manager's browser extension.

The icons depend on if the site has an icon for us to download. Many sites don't have one and we have to create one manually or the user can manually add it as a custom icon.

Do you have a few examples where it doesn't have an icon? Here's what it looks like when the list of sites do have an icon:

Password Generator length should be up to 100 characters. Just like this site (https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm).

Right now, it is limited to 50 characters. Expanding beyond 50 characters does not increase security, you'd gain more benefits by increasing the hashing strength instead. The other problem is that there's a very small amount of sites that even supports more than 50.

In most cases, the issue isn't the length of your passwords but the way the sites stores your passwords and reusing the same password, both of which are a much bigger problem than the length of characters.

The web version of the said password manager is read-only. What if I suddenly have to change or update my password for a specific website, how can I update it? Why not create a "light" version of the password manager for web yet it should be productive too. It would be useful if people are using public computers.

It is extremely difficult to securely encrypt/decrypt your data via the website alone, especially with our security design. There are security risks such as MITM attacks that can be performed to grab your master password as you log in. Even attempting to unlock would take several minutes because the browsers are not yet at that stage where it can do this natively. For now, you'd still have to manually download the data into the extension and decrypt it locally, which is not what we do.

In addition, it is not recommended to unlock your data vaults on untrusted/public computers. You have no way of knowing that the public computers do not have keyloggers to copy your passwords (in addition to copying whatever you entered when you log into the website and typing in your credentials). You also cannot be sure that they don't back up whatever's saved on the drive, especially if you're downloading encrypted data on the drive. SSDs does not perform secure delete properly when you tell the OS to do this.

If you need to use your sites on untrusted passwords, it is recommended you use the least amount of data, such as manually typing in your password that you can see from your smartphone. We still offer 1PasswordAnywhere but we may not in the future due to this issue. There are good news coming via native encryption libraries that browsers will offer for websites/extensions but we don't know yet if or when it'll be adopted by all browsers.

The ability to generate passwords using the desktop client, just like what browser extensions do.

In 1Password, all password fields have their built in generators. Just click on the lock icon next to each field and you can generate a password.

• The ability to identify if a website is basically the same but with different domain extension. Example, the website OVH has different regional sites each with different domain name extension. Regardless, they only accept the same username/email and password. Dashlane is confused with it and has to continuously saves new passwords and form fill details.

1Password does precise matching to only show you the proper Logins on different subdomains. If you're referring to TLDs (.com/.net/.co.uk/etc), that might depend on the TLDs itself. Some URL libraries cannot detect the proper TLD, which is why some password managers will have some issues with it. We have to manually figure if it is a TLD or not and if not, it will cause issues with the automatic saving. If reported to us on a TLD we're not familiar with, we will fix it in a future update. This will happen mostly with new TLDs that comes on the market.

When the password manager prompts to save a login info, it saves the wrong info. For example, the website requests to enter a username, an email and a password. It prompts to save the email address and the password instead of the username. However, there is no way to change the prompted email address or username in order to replace it with the correct one.

That's usually because many times, it is not possible to detect it from the site's form. You'd have to manually tell your manager to select the proper one.

In 1Password, you edit the web form details to select the proper username designation like this:

This is regarding the form fill feature, there should be a “Nickname” field not just usernames. Also, the ability to add multiple usernames would be great.

I'm not sure what you mean by the nickname. You can customize the title of your Login to be the nickname like this:

Multiple usernames isn't supported and not likely to be added in the future because you're reusing the same password for different accounts, which is always a bad idea.

You can create multiple Logins to select the proper username/password for the same site.

When I am trying to enter my router info (192.168.x.x), the password manager prompts me to save the login info which I accepted. The problem is, it does not auto login.

1Password does not support the auto-login, you'd have to press CMD+\ to fill in or click on the 1Password icon to fill in.

1Password also does not support HTTP Auth prompt if your router login page uses that. The HTTP Auth prompt is connected to the browser, not the site, which is why 1Password can't see it and fill it in. We are looking into adding this support in a future update to the Firefox and Chrome extensions as they may have added the right support for extensions to use that prompt but we have to manually add it. Safari does not support this yet. I don't have a timeframe for Chrome/Firefox support.

A way to organize form fills and logins just like in LastPass. There should be multiple profiles. For example, logins and form fills for Work and for Home.

1Password support multiple vaults, you can switch vaults to fit your theme. Here's an example:

• By default, I am not automatically logged in with PayPal and I don't know why. You should have a site that shows up databases of websites that should be automatically logged in by default, vice-versa with an explanation.

This is mentioned above, it's a security risk to automatically fill you in. You have to ask 1Password to fill it in via clicking the 1Password icon or pressing the quicker shortcut, Command + \.

If the site is infected, it can use an iframe window to redirect you to multiple sites very quickly to grab the information from your password manager without you even seeing it. It's called a sweep attack and part of the reason we don't support this.

Again, we are hearing that users still want this as an option with a warning, so we might do this in the future.

Can it be used when logging in to OS X and Windows-based apps?

It is not possible on OS X at the moment but it is on Windows. We have an auto-type feature to let you fill in your data in the Windows apps. Here's more information: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

We'd like to bring Auto-Type to OS X in the future but I do not have a timeframe on this.

Network admins or System admins who uses Proxmox to manage their multiple number of VPS clients are not able to save their login details using Dashlane. No prompt to save info appears.

I'm not familiar with Proxmon, so I can't give you accurate information on this. You can trigger 1Password to manually save new Logins on the same sites if auto-save doesn't show up.

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Hi,

Thanks for the fast response.

We do not have categories for Logins. We do support tags and folders and when you click on the down arrow in the auto-save prompt, you'd be able to tag and/or put it in a folder like so:

Nice features, is there a limit with those?

We do not support auto-login, we consider it as a security risk, which has been validated in a security research paper submitted last year.
    We are hearing from many former LastPass customers they'd like to have this option after getting a warning, so we might consider this for the future.

Yes, an auto-login feature would be great.

We definitely support Retina, we were one of the first to adopt the support for it when the first Retina Macs came out. We are generally quick to adopting new Mac and iOS technologies when it comes out.

Such a relief!

With 1Password, you just press `Command + \` keyboard shortcut and it automatically populates your data. If you have multiple Logins for the same site, it'll give you a menu to select from. If you set the auto-submit to be on, 1Password will also automatically fill and submit the form for you when you press CMD+.

Yes, I hope so. I’m looking forward to use that kind of feature.

In 1Password, we do try to avoid use of icons without any text next to it in order for the app to be accessible.

At last, a dream come true!

We do not have that feature in 1Password, we plan to support such a feature in the future.

There is no “Restore to Default” settings?

We have a redundant cleanup tool: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/4/en/topic/security-audit-includes-generated-passwords-when-reporting-duplicates

At last! Seriously, thanks.

We also have a feature called Security Audit that'll show you all duplicates, age-related filters, and compromised items via our service called Watchtower:

How about a feature that automatically changes the password? Just like in Dashlane?

Do you have a few examples where it doesn't have an icon? Here's what it looks like when the list of sites do have an icon:

Well, those sites actually have icons. I don’t know why some of them are corrupted in Dashlane.

Right now, it is limited to 50 characters. Expanding beyond 50 characters does not increase security, you'd gain more benefits by increasing the hashing strength instead. The other problem is that there's a very small amount of sites that even supports more than 50.

Fair enough. Sounds good to me.

It is extremely difficult to securely encrypt/decrypt your data via the website alone, especially with our security design. There are security risks such as MITM attacks that can be performed to grab your master password as you log in. Even attempting to unlock would take several minutes because the browsers are not yet at that stage where it can do this natively. For now, you'd still have to manually download the data into the extension and decrypt it locally, which is not what we do.

So, what you are telling me is that whenever I use a public computer or somebody else’s computer, there is no way for me to access my data?

In 1Password, all password fields have their built in generators. Just click on the lock icon next to each field and you can generate a password.

Nice feature, awesome interface!

1Password does precise matching to only show you the proper Logins on different subdomains. If you're referring to TLDs (.com/.net/.co.uk/etc), that might depend on the TLDs itself. Some URL libraries cannot detect the proper TLD, which is why some password managers will have some issues with it. We have to manually figure if it is a TLD or not and if not, it will cause issues with the automatic saving. If reported to us on a TLD we're not familiar with, we will fix it in a future update. This will happen mostly with new TLDs that comes on the market.

Thanks for giving me an assurance about this.

I'm not sure what you mean by the nickname. You can customize the title of your Login to be the nickname like this:

Yes, this is one of the features that I am looking for!

Multiple usernames isn't supported and not likely to be added in the future because you're reusing the same password for different accounts, which is always a bad idea.
    You can create multiple Logins to select the proper username/password for the same site.

Yes, perfect!

1Password also does not support HTTP Auth prompt if your router login page uses that. The HTTP Auth prompt is connected to the browser, not the site, which is why 1Password can't see it and fill it in. We are looking into adding this support in a future update to the Firefox and Chrome extensions as they may have added the right support for extensions to use that prompt but we have to manually add it. Safari does not support this yet. I don't have a timeframe for Chrome/Firefox support.

Well, that is just sad. I hope you guys will support it though. My router’s password is really really really long for security purposes.
    ```

1Password support multiple vaults, you can switch vaults to fit your theme. Here's an example:

Yes, this is what I’m also looking for!

If the site is infected, it can use an iframe window to redirect you to multiple sites very quickly to grab the information from your password manager without you even seeing it. It's called a sweep attack and part of the reason we don't support this.
    Again, we are hearing that users still want this as an option with a warning, so we might do this in the future.

I love your security measure! I’m so amazed!

It is not possible on OS X at the moment but it is on Windows. We have an auto-type feature to let you fill in your data in the Windows apps. Here's more information: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/using-auto-type

We'd like to bring Auto-Type to OS X in the future but I do not have a timeframe on this.

Yes, please!

I'm not familiar with Proxmon, so I can't give you accurate information on this. You can trigger 1Password to manually save new Logins on the same sites if auto-save doesn't show up.

No worries. Proxmox is for dedicated servers to have the ability to host VPS(s).

Do you offer trial accounts? How about discounts? LastPass gave me 6 months of premium because I’m a student. I just used my school email. For Dashlane, they have a 1 month trial but the renewal is discounted, I think.

I heard you guys don’t have a subscription-based thing. Everything is based on the actual major versions. Do you offer a discount if ever a new version is available?

If there is a new version of your mobile apps, iOS or Android, do I have to pay for it? Also, is there a different subscription for the iOS and Android versions?

I am also interested in the bundled OSX and Windows versions.

Thanks.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

There is a 30 day free trial period for the full Mac application, after which you will need to buy a license. Download it and give it a try. I think trying it will serve you much better that writing more long forum posts. But obviously, AgileBits folks are willing to go to great lengths to respond to those too.

The iOS and Android applications are both offered on a "freemium" basis. For iOS, you can use the basic option free and long as you wish, but if you want the advanced Pro features, you'll need to pay via in-app purchase. For Android, there is a trial period for free, after which you need to buy a license. If you don't, it becomes a re-only client.

Licenses are sold in a per-platform basis, so each is sold separately.

Finally, for the Mac version, you won't be able to use iCloud for syncing among devices, as Apple removed such access to applications they don't sell themselves. Your free trial thus will be limited to Dropbox, if you want a cloud solution. But there are clear instructions for switching to the Mac App Store version, if you decide to buy your license there.

• Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

Nice features, is there a limit with those?

Yes, there is but it is so large, it is not likely you'd reach that for a long time. You'd have a bigger issue of organizing your tags and folders than to reach that limit.

There is no “Restore to Default” settings?

The automatic password changer feature, we don't have this service at the moment.

How about a feature that automatically changes the password? Just like in Dashlane?

We don't have it at the moment.

So, what you are telling me is that whenever I use a public computer or somebody else’s computer, there is no way for me to access my data?

You can access your data via 1PasswordAnywhere, the web app built into your data file and can be accessed via Dropbox.com.

Your question was how do you change your data via the website, you can't do that with 1PasswordAnywhere, it's a read-only web app. You can only change your data in 1Password apps, either the mobile or desktop apps.

If you trust that person, you can use 1PasswordAnywhere on Dropbox.com or access your data on your smartphone. Again, you can use 1PasswordAnywhere on any computers but you must consider the security risks of doing so.

Here's how 1PasswordAnywhere work: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/1passwordanywhere

Well, that is just sad. I hope you guys will support it though. My router’s password is really really really long for security purposes.

To make it easier, you can anchor your 1Password mini windows, which keeps it on top of the site, making it easier to copy and paste your data into the browser's prompt.

Do you offer trial accounts?

1. For Mac and Windows, you can download the trial versions here: http://agilebits.com/downloads
    2. iOS app follows the freemium model, the basic version is free to download at the iOS app store and you can buy an in-app purchase to unlock additional features.
    3. The Android app is free for up to 30 days and you'll have to buy in-app purchase to keep using it.

We are working on simplifying all of this in the future.

We're not a subscription service, so there are no accounts nor annual fees, just app files that you can always download again at our website here (http://agilebits.com/downloads) or at Apple's App Store if you choose to buy it there. If you buy at our web store, you get a license file you can register the app to remove the trial message. There is no trial at Apple's app store, you just sign into your AppleID account and simply download 1Password from the Purchased section of the App Store.

It's a one time fee for the 1Password version you buy and there are no restrictions on how many computers you can use. The license can also be shared with up to 6 family members in the same household. Note that this depends on the platform license. If you get the Mac+Windows bundle license, you can use it on any numbers of PC and Macs you and/or your family members own. If you get a PC only license, you can only use it on PCs, no restrictions. Also, your family members set up their own vaults, a shared license does not imply shared data, each 1Password install is individually set up and you can enable syncing to share the same data file.

1Password on desktop is free to use with up to 20 items and unlimited for the first 30 days. After 30 days, the app will start to nag about the trial expiring. However at no point will we lock you out of your data and you can export your data.

How about discounts? LastPass gave me 6 months of premium because I’m a student. I just used my school email.

Yes, just use our educational store here: https://agilebits.com/store/educational

Enter your school email address when checking out.

Do you offer a discount if ever a new version is available?

For the web store, yes, we always offer upgrade discounts for all of our current customers. Unfortunately, we can't make any promises for the App Store as Apple does not provide any upgrade pricing support. We do try to make it fair for everyone.

If there is a new version of your mobile apps, iOS or Android, do I have to pay for it? Also, is there a different subscription for the iOS and Android versions?

There are no subscription fees, it's just one time purchase per version but we do not always require an upgrade fee.

For an example on iOS: 1Password 3 was a free update to 1Password 2 customers and 1Password 5 was a free update to 1Password 4 customers. Only 1Password 4 was a paid update.

On Mac, 1Password 5 is a free update for all 1Password 4 customers but we had to remove a feature from our website version of 1Password that can only be available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password due to Yosemite's change that requires certain iCloud sync technologies in the MAS versions only. Unfortunately, there was no way for customers to cross-upgrade to the MAS for free.

I am also interested in the bundled OSX and Windows versions.

Bundle licenses are only available at our web store and yes, educational discount applies to that as well.

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Thanks for the awesome replies! I am so satisfied with the support that I am getting from you guys. Also, I am currently evaluating 1Password and so far, I'm loving it! I just have this issue though, with a specific website. You might want to check this video out. Going back, regarding the "Restore to Default" feature, most users usually change a lot of settings. A feature like that would be great, specifically for the password generator. A "restore to default" feature would be great. :)

I am really loving the app and looking forward to purchase the bundled OS X and Windows versions. For the mobile versions, I hope an educational discount is possible.

EDIT (after a few minutes):

You might wanna check this one out:

One of the best decisions that I did :)
    Btw, where will I send my school ID?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

That's great, thank you so much for your purchases! I'm happy @MikeT and @hawkmoth were able to help you out with your questions.

For the problem with not being able to fill a generated password on Wordpress's Change Password screen, that's because that screen is not actually using a password field. The Strong Password generator only fills fields of type "password", so it's not detecting a field on that screen to fill. You can find a bit more information about that in this post.

As for an educational discount on 1Password for iOS, that's only sold through the App Store, which is controlled by Apple, and we don't have the ability to provide educational discounts there. But keep in mind that 1Password 5 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. You don't need to pay anything for that unless you want to unlock the Pro Features via in-app purchase. You can check with Apple to see if they have some sort of educational discount for in-app purchases, but it's not something we have any control over.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! If you have more questions, we're always glad to help. :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@ItsAdventureTime - I'm unaware of educational discounts for downloaded software from Apple's app stores. I have a .edu email address, and I do know they have an educational store for hardware that provides small discounts for students and educators. Just not for iTunes, etc.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

MikeT's very comprehensive and thoughtful reply alone is reason enough to run and get your credit card!

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member

Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

That's great, thank you so much for your purchases! I'm happy @MikeT and @hawkmoth were able to help you out with your questions.

For the problem with not being able to fill a generated password on Wordpress's Change Password screen, that's because that screen is not actually using a password field. The Strong Password generator only fills fields of type "password", so it's not detecting a field on that screen to fill. You can find a bit more information about that in this post.

As for an educational discount on 1Password for iOS, that's only sold through the App Store, which is controlled by Apple, and we don't have the ability to provide educational discounts there. But keep in mind that 1Password 5 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. You don't need to pay anything for that unless you want to unlock the Pro Features via in-app purchase. You can check with Apple to see if they have some sort of educational discount for in-app purchases, but it's not something we have any control over.

I hope this helps to answer your questions! If you have more questions, we're always glad to help. :)

@MikeT Thanks! By the way, I have another question.

This is according to the page https://agilebits.com/store/educational, at the bottom part of the site there is something that says:

"This is the educational store which allows students and faculty to save 20% on every purchase. Please use your current university email address to purchase. If you do not have one but you have an active student or faculty ID, you can still purchase now and have your ID available in case we contact you."

@MikeT Where will I send my student ID? To which recipient?

@ItsAdventureTime - I'm unaware of educational discounts for downloaded software from Apple's app stores. I have a .edu email address, and I do know they have an educational store for hardware that provides small discounts for students and educators. Just not for iTunes, etc.

@hawkmoth Me too, I have an .edu email address that I forgot to use. I was able to read the notice about using the university email address after purchasing the software. For the coupons, I was trying to use "pencil" in the educational store but it does not work anymore. Good thing that after a few minutes of researching and reading tons of blogs, I saw a coupon from goodshop that gave me a 20% discount. It's "MacPowerUsers" good thing that Knox was automatically offered to me with a huge discount while I'm about to purchase the bundled versions of 1Password.

@MikeT's very comprehensive and thoughtful reply alone :p is reason enough to run and get your credit card!

@MrC exactly :) take a look :p

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ItsAdventureTime ,

Where will I send my student ID? To which recipient?

If you've already made your purchase through the education store, you're all set! If you want to confirm your student status, you can send a scan of your student ID in to support+licenses@agilebits.com (include a link to this forum discussion so we know where it's coming from.) :)

Thanks again for choosing to support 1Password - you rock!

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member

If you've already made your purchase through the education store, you're all set! If you want to confirm your student status, you can send a scan of your student ID in to support+licenses@agilebits.com (include a link to this forum discussion so we know where it's coming from.) :)

Thanks again for choosing to support 1Password - you rock!

Thanks for replying @Megan, I really appreciate it! Yes, I know purchasing all versions of 1Password are worth it! As well as Knox although I was expecting a seamless integration between the two. I thought I can use 1Password to generate the vault passwords and expecting that my software license for Knox will automatically be saved in 1Password, same thing with what happened to my 1Password license. It was automatically saved under the "Software Licenses" category.

And yes, I will be sending you my student ID.

Thank you and you have an awesome day :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ItsAdventureTime ,

As well as Knox although I was expecting a seamless integration between the two. I thought I can use 1Password to generate the vault passwords and expecting that my software license for Knox will automatically be saved in 1Password, same thing with what happened to my 1Password license.

Some more integration between Knox and 1Password sounds like a pretty awesome idea! I'll be sure to let our team know about your suggestion. :)

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Some more integration between Knox and 1Password sounds like a pretty awesome idea! I'll be sure to let our team know about your suggestion. :)

Thanks @Megan and please do keep me updated! I would love to use Knox ASAP :) I cannot use Knox because it looks like a completely new app to me :(

• Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

On behalf of Megs, you're welcome.

Knox is different, it's meant for a different job. Knox doesn't try to get in your workflow, it will simply let you create an encrypted virtual drive (what we called a vault) on your Mac for you to put your data in. You can eject it anytime and it'll require a password the next time you want to open it.

It's meant to be transparent to any apps, so you can configure your apps to store files in the vaults and to them, it looks like any of your regular drives. The only difference is that the vault are encrypted with the vault password.

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Hi @MikeT :)

Knox is different, it's meant for a different job. Knox doesn't try to get in your workflow, it will simply let you create an encrypted virtual drive (what we called a vault) on your Mac for you to put your data in. You can eject it anytime and it'll require a password the next time you want to open it.

I agree, but for the password of the vault itself, it would be great if we are able to take advantage of 1Password. After all, avoiding the memorization of passwords is the main purpose of it.

It's meant to be transparent to any apps, so you can configure your apps to store files in the vaults and to them, it looks like any of your regular drives. The only difference is that the vault are encrypted with the vault password.

Reminds me of the BitLock drive thing on Windows :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

While not the integration you're currently looking for, unlike OS X and it's encrypted disk images, you can copy a password from 1Password and paste it into the password field of Knox when you're mounting an image (if memory serves me correctly from my last testing). So you could keep the Knox passwords stored in say a Password item to assist. A bit of keyboard jujitsu and it could become quite second nature (possibly).

Certainly Know and 1Password are very different beasts but depending on your usage they can both be very useful.

• ItsAdventureTime
    ItsAdventureTime
    Community Member

I see. I was actually thinking that if it is possible for 1Password to automatically fill the password(s) required by Knox because it would have been a lot easier. Plus, I was expecting my license for Knox to be automatically saved to 1Password just like what it did with my license.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ItsAdventureTime,

I can certainly ask and see :smile:

This discussion has been closed.