Multiple Vaults with seperate PIN

Options
DietrichFoerster
DietrichFoerster
Community Member

Hi,
I'm using two seperate Vaults for Web-Logons and other critical Infos like Creditcard PINs e.g.

My problem is, that the secont vault is automaticaly open every time when the primary vault is unlocked.
I prefer to open the second vault only in case that I really need the informations (95% I only need the primary vault)

Is there any way to configer 1Password in this way?
I'm using 1Password for MAC, Windows and IOS ....

Thanks - Dietrich

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The behaviour you're describing doesn't exist on the Windows version. Each vault is opened separately.
    As far as I know, there's no way to turn it off on OSX or iOS, but I'm not that familiar with those versions so hopefully someone else will confirm.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

In the Mac version, opening the Primary vault will also open any Secondary vaults. But you can open the Secondary vault without opening the Primary one.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DietrichFoerster ,

As Hawkmoth says, unlocking the primary vault will unlock all secondary vaults as well. This is to ensure that users don't have to remember the Master Password of each and every vault that they create. So far, I've collected 6 vaults for various groups of family and co-workers, and personally, I'd hate to have to remember all those passwords (this is 1Password after all! ;) ).

To get the behaviour you are looking for, I recommend storing all your high-security items in your primary vault, and your lower security day-to-day items in a secondary vault. When 1Password is locked, switching to the secondary vault is as easy as using ⌘# ( Command-'vault number' ), and entering that vault's Master Password.

I hope this helps!

• DietrichFoerster
    DietrichFoerster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan for your comment.
    This idea works and it seems to be the only way to build additional security in the second vault.

But now I need to change the vault name every time when I need to login. Also on iPhone, iPad. This is possible but not really user friendly ...
    Is there maybe a way to change the default startup vault?

Maybe this is is a possible feature request. New Checkbox in user settings:

• ON = starting 1Password with default primary vault
    • OFF = starting 1Password with the last used vault on this device (stored locally)
      Alternative: store the default startup vault name in user settings.
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DietrichFoerster ,

You're right, if you're unlocking directly to a secondary vault, you will have to switch to that vault when you unlock. Hopefully the keyboard shortcuts make this relatively painless on Mac. On iOS, the first vault that you set up is considered the primary vault. So you could simply set 1Password 5 for iOS up with the vault that you access most frequently. Some users have chosen not to sync their higher security vaults to iOS at all, as an extra line of protection.

Thanks for the feature request! Multiple vaults is a relatively new feature in 1Password, and we're still looking for ways to make it the most powerful and awesome tool for our users. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@Magan "Batvault".. awesome!!!!!

I wouldn't mind a "PIN" like on the iOS 1Password sometimes just for 1 vault. Thinking again, that might be useless.

• Hi @prime,

1Password on iOS already support both PIN/Touch ID for the primary vault, doing the same for each of the secondary vaults would add confusion to the overall experience.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

@miket I was think about it for the desktop 1Password.

• Ah, gotcha. I'm not sure we'd do that but we'll keep it in our mind as we work on 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.