1Password 5 IOS8 ok to sync with Mac v4.4.2 on OSX 10.8.5?

Options
occamsrazor
occamsrazor
Community Member
edited January 2015 in iOS

Quick question. Spent an hour searching and not found the answer.
Currently running v4.5.3 on iPhone 5S running IOS8.1. This syncs via Dropbox to appstore v4.4.2 on Mac OSX running 10.8.5.
I cannot upgrade beyond 10.8.5 due to my company policy.
I would like to upgrade the IOS version to the latest 5.2, but I need to know if IOS v5.2 will continue to sync perfectly via Dropbox to v4.4.2 on Mac 10.8.5, or if there are any issues with this combination.
Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Yes, 1Password 5.2 on iOS can sync with 1Password 4 on OS X, using DropBox. It's WiFi sync and iCloud sync that require 1Password 5 on OS X and iOS.

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, will give it a try now...

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. :)

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Actually now I look further into it, they are not syncing properly at all. Changes to existing items are not getting synced. And if I create a new test item on each device, neither gets synced to the other. Current status has 525 items on one and 527 items on other. Changes I made to one item on Mac not synced through. This is syncing via Dropbox. This was exactly what I was hoping to avoid....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @occamsrazor ,

I'm so sorry to hear that things are working as smoothly as you'd like. Don't worry! We're here to help you get it sorted out. Since your test items aren't getting through, I'd like to reset sync here, just to be sure that everything is looking at the same sync file. Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On the Mac, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Please let me know how this goes!

• occamsrazor
    occamsrazor
    Community Member
    Options

Well I did that and at first it seemed to have synced up fine. But then I started getting some Dropbox conflicted copy errors. Then they seemed to go away. But now when I have both IOS and Mac apps open and tried to change the details of the notes section of a Secure Note, I am getting duplicate entries in the note field of BOTH the old and new field entries, one above the other separated by a line that looks like this "===".
    Frankly this is a big mess and precisely what I wanted to avoid by asking the original question. Yes the Touch ID is nice, but if it means I'm corrupting an unknown number of some of my hundreds of entries, then it's just not worth it frankly. Please advise how I can revert to the old v4.4.2 IOS app....

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I am getting duplicate entries in the note field of BOTH the old and new field entries, one above the other separated by a line that looks like this "===".

Those are not duplicates. They are entries where 1P has detected a conflict when you have sync'd 1P data between devices. Both entries are left so that you can choose the correct one to keep.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @occamsrazor,

We are aware of a bug regarding editing Secure Notes in the iOS version that can cause a conflict to be recorded, this bug isn't limited to version 5 of iOS though and my understanding is the next point release will resolve this. Now this bug was specific to iOS so whether it fully explains what you discovered would depend on the precise details of the situation you experienced.

If you were trying to edit the Secure Note on your iOS device alone then that is probably covered by above. The conflict was recorded (incorrectly we agree) on your iOS device and then synchronised correctly to your Mac. The poor Mac doesn't know any better as it's simply seeing data with a newer timestamp than its own.

If you only edited the Secure Note on your Mac we might need to investigate a little closer to discover if it's related or not.

If you were trying to simultaneously edit the note on both devices then we would strongly recommend not to. It's much safer and neater to ensure any changes made on one device have fully synced over before you start editing the same item elsewhere. Edits in two place will at best lead to conflicts because 1Password and Dropbox simply can't tell what is correct and what isn't.

Can you revert to the old 4.4.2 iOS app? If you have a copy of that .ipa file then you can yes but the bug this relates to I believe also affects that version. To better answer your question though. If you sync your iPhone with iTunes on a regular basis and it keeps a copy of all of your apps then you may find your Trash contains a copy of something like 1Password 4.4.2.ipa. If you do you can close iTunes, move the 1Password 5.2.ipa file aside and replace it with the 4.4.2 one. You would then need to remove the app completely from your iPhone and instruct iTunes to install that version. Apple don't make it easy to revert to old versions I'm afraid.

While I won't fib and say any piece of software is perfect, I'm not aware of any significant sync bugs specific to 1Password 5 for iOS, in fact we've been working hard to remove a number of them. We even have people syncing 1Password 5 for iOS with 1Password 3. It might be worth giving it a chance but ultimately that choice is yours (as long as you still have a copy of the 4.4.2.ipa file anyway).

If you have any questions please do ask.

This discussion has been closed.