Lost Master Password

fbrkic7
fbrkic7
Community Member

Hi All,

I have unfortunately forgotten / lost my master password. I keep using the app as the touch ID works. Is there a way to reset the master password?

Thanks again

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

You won't be able to change your master password unless you know the current one. Also, if you ever reset you iPhone, you will have to enter the master password to regain access to your data. Since you do have access now through Touch ID, perhaps there is a way to move your data to an new vault with a new password, but I'm afraid I don't know how to approach that and I'm not sure it actually can be done.

It's a good idea to opt to require the master password once in awhile to refresh your memory of it.

• Good morning @fbrkic7‌. I'm sorry for the trouble you've run into. Unfortunately there is no way to reset your Master Password without knowing it in the first place. There are a couple of guides that may help try and remember it

1. https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/forgot-master-password
    2. https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/master-password-not-accepted

Note that the second guide is Mac-based, but it has some tips that pertain to iOS as well. If you input your Master Password incorrectly three times you should see a password hint appear. Does that help you at all?

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

Found this from the link above, wouldn't this be a major security flaw? Why would anyone do this, or why would 1P allow this?

Search the login keychain

If you selected the Remember password in login keychain option in an older version of 1Password, you might be able to use Keychain Access to view your password.

In Finder, choose Go > Utilities; locate and launch Keychain Access, and search for 1Password Master Password. Double-click on this item, click the show password option, and provide your system password at the Mac OS X prompt.* *

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@safety1 for detailed, technical reassurance please take a look at this knowledge base article.

Stephen

• safety1
    safety1
    Community Member

Read it 3 times, I think i need the dumbed down explanation. Is the master password retrievable or not in some circumstance? Sorry i'm just not that technically knowledgeable.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

No one can retrieve your master password without knowing before hand what it is. In other words, if you forget your master password, no one can get to your 1Password data, including you, the 1Passowrd people, and anyone else. So be sure you construct a strong master password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

and repeatedly use it too so you don't risk forgetting it!

This discussion has been closed.