Cannot find license fee, have iPhone app & how do I get MAC version

juleshwright
juleshwright
Community Member

Hi there.
I have and use the iPhone app. I want to start using the desktop MAC version too and share with my husband on his iPhone and MAC. So my questions are:

1. How to I get my licence key? I have tried to retrieve through your website but it does not recognize any of my email addresses, I have also looked at purchases on my iTunes/app store account and 1Password is not listed?
  2. How do I add MAC desktop version / download etc? Does it cost anymore than what I have already paid for the iOS version?
  3. How do I then share with my husband?

Thanks Jules

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The first thing to make clear is that 1P for Mac and 1P for iOS are completely separate products. In other words, if you need 1P for Mac you have to buy it. The cost of it has nothing to do with whether or not you have 1P for iOS.

You can buy 1P for Mac either from the Mac App Store or direct from the AgileBits store. There are two things to bear in mind:

1. If you ever want to use iCloud to sync 1P data between your Mac and iPhone you must buy 1P from the Mac App Store because the version from the AgileBits store doesn't support iCloud sync (following changes made by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite). Both versions support sync of 1P data by either local wifi or Dropbox.
    2. If you have owned an earlier version of 1P for Mac you may be entitled to an upgrade discount if you buy from the AgileBits store. That discount won't be available if you buy from the Mac App Store.

As to sharing with your husband I assume, initially, you're talking about installing the app on his machine too, If you buy from the Mac App Store you can do that, at no extra cost, if you share the same Apple ID or you're using OS X Yosemite and have enabled family sharing. If you buy from the AgileBits store 1P can be shared by up to six family members living in the same household.

I hope that helps but do post again if you have more questions.

Stephen

• Hi @juleshwright,

In addition to what Stephen_C said, can you tell us more about what you'd like to do with your husband, do you guys want to share everything in the same database or do you want to split into vaults, one personal vault and one shared vault?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

can you tell us more about what you'd like to do with your husband

I don't think that would be appropriate! :tongue:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @RichardPayne ,

Thanks for a smile to start my Monday! I guess it's a good thing that Mike clarified exactly what he was asking for there. ;)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@Megan indeed, but it just wouldn't be the internet without a little quote mining. ;-)

• juleshwright
    juleshwright
    Community Member

Thanks for your replies, and I enjoyed the husband jokes.

Happy to share 1 vault of passwords.

So questions:

• if I buy the MAC version will it sync up with the iPhone version (pretty sure its sync'g through iCloud). My MAC to my iPhone?
    • if my husband also gets MAC version (through family sharing) will it sync with my data if he is primary account holder on the family sharing?
    • if we have family sharing can my husband download iPhone version for free - even though I cannot see any evidence in my iTunes / app store account that I purchased the iPhone app?

Thanks again
    Jules

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Jules ( @juleshwright ),

Thanks for getting back to us! :)

• if I buy the MAC version will it sync up with the iPhone version (pretty sure its sync'g through iCloud). My MAC to my iPhone?

If you want to use iCloud sync, you'll want to be sure to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store, but yes. The Mac version can sync with the data you already have stored in iCloud. Just be sure that you are logged in to both your Mac and your iOS device with the same AppleID. (Please note that iCloud sync requires OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and iOS 8 - it is not cross-compatible with older versions of the OS.) There are instructions for setting up iCloud sync in our User Guide: Sync with iCloud.

• if my husband also gets MAC version (through family sharing) will it sync with my data if he is primary account holder on the family sharing?

Sharing your 1Password data is a bit different than sharing your apps. To sync your 1Password data via iCloud with your husband, you would both need to share an iCloud account. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide much of a mechanism for sharing this data between two iCloud accounts. If you both have separate iCloud accounts, it might be worth looking into Dropbox sync, which is more flexible for multiple users.

• if we have family sharing can my husband download iPhone version for free - even though I cannot see any evidence in my iTunes / app store account that I purchased the iPhone app?

Your husband can download the iOS app for free, because 1Password 5 for iOS is a free download. There are Pro Features within the app that can be unlocked for a one-time in app purchase. However, Apple has determined that in app purchases do not fall under family sharing, so you and your husband would have to purchase the Pro features separately.

Whew, there's a lot of detail there. I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.