Login created on Windows doesn't show up on Mac and vice versa.

Manuel McLure
Manuel McLure
Community Member
edited December 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I have an interesting problem when

a- Sharing a keychain between Windows and Mac OS X using Dropbox.
b-Using Chrome (updated to the latest stable release) and the 1Password Chrome extension on both platforms.
c- Logging in to Livejournal.

The problem is as follows: I log into Livejournal from the Url http://foobar.livejournal.com/profile (not the actual URL, foobar is a placeholder for my Livejournal account name.)
The first time I logged in on Chrome for OS X the 1Password extension offered to save the login. When it did so it created a login with title Livejournal, location http://foobar.livejournal.com/profile and the correct form information to log in. Tests of logging out and coming back to the URL on Chrome for OS X worked fine.

After the keychain synced on my Windows box, I went to the same URL using Chrome for Windows. When I dropped down the extension, it did not show the "Livejournal" login. I used "All Logins" and clicked on the "Livejournal" login to open the URL in a new tab, and it correctly opened the URL and logged in. Immediately, it asked to save the login again! I accepted, and the extension created another login, this one title "foobar.livejournal.com". All other attributes of the login (location and form information) are identical to the "Livejournal" login.

Now, if I use Chrome on OS X, I see the "Livejournal" login, but if I use it on Windows, I see the "foobar.livejournal.com" login. Unfortunately this means that if I decide to change the password, I'll have to update two logins instead of just one.

I have already rebuilt the data file to see if that works.

Any ideas?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Manuel. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

Are you syncing your extensions between Chrome for Windows and Chrome for Mac? You can configure this in Chrome's preferences on the Personal Stuff pane (see screenshot of the sync customization screen).
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Manuel. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

Are you syncing your extensions between Chrome for Windows and Chrome for Mac? You can configure this in Chrome's preferences on the Personal Stuff pane (see screenshot of the sync customization screen).

I was not syncing them since I supposed that the extension was different for each OS. I'll turn this on and check again as soon as I can (unfortunately I can't get to my Windows machine for a few days.)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    My apologies. Please do not sync Chrome extensions. You are correct that the extensions are different for Mac and Windows. I hope this reaches you before you get to your Windows machine. :-)

1Password may be detecting a new password for the existing Login's domain. It may be that you have changed the password (on a different page) and not updated the existing Login yet—the solution to that, of course, is simply to let 1Password replace the existing Login with the updated information.

If 1Password continues to ask about saving a new Login, though, the site may be "hashing" the username and/or password before submitting the form. If that's the case, please disable auto-save for that domain:

1. On the site's login page, enter and remember your correct username and password for the site.
    2. Allow 1Password to replace the existing Login item.
    3. Launch 1Password, and select the updated Login item.
    4. Note the domain that is displayed in the Location column.
    5. On the Auto-Save tab of 1Password preferences, click the Add button.
    6. Enter the domain you noted above, and click the OK button.
    7. Confirm that the username and password are still correct as recorded in the Login.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

My apologies. Please do not sync Chrome extensions. You are correct that the extensions are different for Mac and Windows. I hope this reaches you before you get to your Windows machine. :-)

No worries. I got your message before I got to my Windows box :)

1Password may be detecting a new password for the existing Login's domain. It may be that you have changed the password (on a different page) and not updated the existing Login yet—the solution to that, of course, is simply to let 1Password replace the existing Login with the updated information.

Nope. I have not changed the password between creating the OS X login and the Windows login - in fact I can do them within minutes of each other and still have the same problem.

If 1Password continues to ask about saving a new Login, though, the site may be "hashing" the username and/or password before submitting the form. If that's the case, please disable auto-save for that domain:

I did this and it did not ask to create a new login on Windows, but the login I created on OS X still doesn't show up unless I press "All Logins". I reverted back and created the login again on Windows since I need to be able to log in on that platform as well.

Is it possible that the extension on Windows is using a slightly different interpretation of the URL? I noticed that if I look at the logins in 1Password native app on OS X, the "Livejournal" one created by OS X shows the thumbnail of the web page, but the "tww1fa.livejournal.com" one created by Windows does not have the thumbnail.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    If you create two differently named logins (one on each platform) do they have the same URL stored in them? It might not be a bad idea to move this into the Windows forum since it sounds like an issue in Windows. You will likely get a better response from Stefan or DB in that forum since I am not as familiar as they are with 1Password for Windows. (Stefan is the developer.) :-D
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

If you create two differently named logins (one on each platform) do they have the same URL stored in them? It might not be a bad idea to move this into the Windows forum since it sounds like an issue in Windows. You will likely get a better response from Stefan or DB in that forum since I am not as familiar as they are with 1Password for Windows. (Stefan is the developer.) :-D

As far as I can tell, everything except for the name of the login - URL, username, password, all other fields in the login - are identical between the two. I'm perfectly happy to move this topic into the Windows forum if you think that will help.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    You are right that 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac use slightly different algorithms for comparing URLs to the Location fields in your existing Login items.

What I have found is that 1Password for Windows doesn't always detect a matching Login item that was created in 1Password for Mac (thus offering to save a new Login item, even though you already have one that works on the Mac), whereas 1Password for Mac typically does detect a matching Login item that was created in 1Password for Windows.

You mention that your two Login items for livejournal.com both contain your correct login credentials, so I'd suggest deleting the one you created in 1Password for Mac (the one with the title "Livejournal") and see if the one you created in 1Password for Windows (currently with the title "foobar.livejournal.com") works on the Mac, too.

Based on my own experience as a 1Password user, the odds are that it will, and you'll be left with only one Login to maintain.

Please let us know how it goes, Manuel!
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:
    You mention that your two Login items for livejournal.com both contain your correct login credentials, so I'd suggest deleting the one you created in 1Password for Mac (the one with the title "Livejournal") and see if the one you created in 1Password for Windows (currently with the title "foobar.livejournal.com") works on the Mac, too.

I'm afraid this didn't work. The Mac doesn't see "foobar.livejournal.com" as a valid login for the site. It does work if I bring up "All Logins" and use go and fill, but it doesn't appear in the list of valid logins. Interestingly, this is the only site that I seem to have trouble with.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    That's hard to understand, if it's true that the URLs are really identical, as both programs use the URLs to detect "matching" Logins.

If you compare the two Logins in "edit mode," are the full URLs identical?
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

That's hard to understand, if it's true that the URLs are really identical, as both programs use the URLs to detect "matching" Logins.

If you compare the two Logins in "edit mode," are the full URLs identical?

The URL that appears in the "Location" field when I'm in edit mode is identical for both logins - "http://foobar.livejournal.com/profile". When I look at the two URL's in the Mac version of 1PW, I see the "livejournal.com" portion of the URL is bolded (on both logins.)
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the follow-up, Manuel.

I'm going to move this thread back to the 1Password for Mac forum, where someone with a deeper understanding of its URL matching algorithm might be able to shed some light on this.
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    Any ideas on this issue? It seems to be specific to the Livejournal site.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    What happens if you manually edit the URL to be:

http://livejournal.com/

• Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

What happens if you manually edit the URL to be:

http://livejournal.com/

The above URL works on Mac OS, but not on Windows. If I change it back to http://foobar.livejournal.com/profile on Windows, it works on Windows but not on Mac OS, and vice versa. It appears to work on whatever platform it was last edited on. On Windows, I can change the URL to something different (http://foobar.livejournal.com/profile1), save, change it back, save and test it and it will work on Windows but not Mac OS. If I do the same dance on Mac OS, it will work on Mac OS but not on Windows. The http://livejournal.com/ works on Mac OS only if I made the change on Mac OS, and does not work at all on Windows whether I changed it there or not.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I am extremely curious if the issue persists in a brand new data file. If you move your existing data file aside for a moment (perhaps to your desktop), create an empty data file, and then one single Livejournal login, does the issue persist? If not, consider exporting your data from your existing data file (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File on your Mac), and then importing it into the new data file.

It sounds rather insane, I understand, but it should only take a quick moment to test if you don't mind doing so.

Please let me know.
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

I am extremely curious if the issue persists in a brand new data file. If you move your existing data file aside for a moment (perhaps to your desktop), create an empty data file, and then one single Livejournal login, does the issue persist? If not, consider exporting your data from your existing data file (File > Export All > 1Password Interchange File on your Mac), and then importing it into the new data file.

Just tested this (creating a new data file and only creating a Livejournal login) and the same problem persisted. I created the login on the Mac, and it didn't work on Windows until I edited the URL on Windows.

It sounds rather insane, I understand, but it should only take a quick moment to test if you don't mind doing so.

As a software developer (and 13 year tech support veteran before that) I understand exactly what sort of scenarios make apparently insane solutions actually sane :lol:
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Testing the URL http://www.livejournal.com, here's what was auto-saved by 1Password for Mac (left) and by 1Password for Windows (right):

auto-saved_Mac_vs_Win.png

In addition to 1Password for Windows storing a "checkmark" as the value of the remember_me field, it has correctly ignored the unnamed field with the value Log in.

The first thing I tried was deleting those "extra" fields, leaving only the user and password fields in both Logins; but 1Password for Mac still couldn't detect a match in the Login created by 1Password for Windows, or vice versa.

The next difference I found was that the Display field defaults to For Web Pages Only in Logins created by 1Password for Mac, whereas the default value of that field is Always in Logins created by 1Password for Windows. I tried changing the Display setting in both Logins, though, and it still didn't help 1Password for Mac detect a match in the Login created by 1Password for Windows, or vice versa.

Then I wondered whether the new "domain matching" feature, currently exclusive to 1Password for Windows, might help.

1. On the Logins tab of 1Password for Windows preferences, I clicked the Domain Matching button.

2. In the Domain Matching dialog box, I clicked the upper Add button and typed www.livejournal.com in the dialog box that appeared; then I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain dialog box.

3. Back in the Domain Matching dialog box wiith the new www.livejournal.com selected, I clicked the lower Add button and typed livejournal.com in the dialog box that appeared; then I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain dialog box:

00000174.png

4. Finally, I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain Matching dialog box.

I launched Firefox (Windows) again, and there was my ~auto-saved_on_Mac Login item, listed right alongside the ~auto-saved_on_Windows Login item!

That meant I could delete the one I'd created on Windows and have just the one Login to maintain.

Note: 1Password for Mac currently doesn't recognize this domain-matching information, so it still won't recognize a match of that URL with my ~auto-saved_on_Windows Login. I don't know why not, but it may have something to do with the different values shown in the Location column of the list area:

00000173.png

I don't know how that display value is calculated, but the difference seems to be significant. Remember, the Login items show the same URL in the Location field. :blink:
  • Manuel McLure
    Manuel McLure
    Community Member
    DBrown wrote:

Then I wondered whether the new "domain matching" feature, currently exclusive to 1Password for Windows, might help.

1. On the Logins tab of 1Password for Windows preferences, I clicked the Domain Matching button.

2. In the Domain Matching dialog box, I clicked the upper Add button and typed www.livejournal.com in the dialog box that appeared; then I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain dialog box.

3. Back in the Domain Matching dialog box wiith the new www.livejournal.com selected, I clicked the lower Add button and typed livejournal.com in the dialog box that appeared; then I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain dialog box:

00000174.png

4. Finally, I clicked the OK button to dismiss the Domain Matching dialog box.

I launched Firefox (Windows) again, and there was my ~auto-saved_on_Mac Login item, listed right alongside the ~auto-saved_on_Windows Login item!

That meant I could delete the one I'd created on Windows and have just the one Login to maintain.

Just tested this and it would appear we have a winner! I did have to enter foobar.livejournal.com since that's the URL I use to log in under, but I'm now seeing the login created on the Mac on my Windows box. Thank you very much! I'm still curious as to why the logins don't work as expected in the first place, but the workaround makes me a happy panda.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We will work on improving the URL matching across all platforms, but I am glad that everything is working well for you in the mean time. That is always great news! :-)

Thanks for updating the thread.
This discussion has been closed.