Lack of Move Option

My holiday task this year is to sort out my password mess, and 1Password was recommended, so I bought a copy and am learning. Unfortunately I am using a Windows PC, and it turns out that many features are not (yet, I hope) available in the Windows version. My frustration became manageable when I found, on this forum, various links to what is not available (Agile - should this be a bit clearer in the webpages for the products?Although having just checked, there is more there than I noticed when buying).

Anyway, I was most disappointed to find no Move feature, so I can't move the Wallet to my Dropbox folder and thus lose the passwords on the move feature. While this doesn't matter too much, the only time I really need this is when I really need it, so to speak.

Any idea when this will be available? If there is an obvious workaround, please let me down gently. Thanks.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    JRS-WB, welcome to the forum!

I got a little lost in the part about moving the Wallet to your Dropbox folder and losing passwords, but I can address the general issue of moving items.

You can definitely move items among the folders you create in 1Password; you cannot move items among the vaults built into 1Password.

Vaults represent the item types, and the ability to move an item from one vault to another implies the ability to change its type—to change a Credit Card to a Bank Account or a Software item to an Identity. We understand the value of such a capability, and it's something we'd like to be able to offer. Aside from the difficulty of implementing such a feature, just rolling it out would require a fundamental and simultaneous change to all our 1Password products for all supported platforms. We never say "never" but that's a huge task that just hasn't been possible, yet.

In case there's any confusion over vaults, folders, and the like, here's how I like to explain them.

• Every item in 1Password is always in exactly one of the following locations:
      • Logins vault
      • Wallet vault
      • Software vault
      • Secure Notes vault
      • Identities vault
      • Generated Passwords category
      • Trash

• Every item (unless it's in the Trash) is listed in the built-in All folder, which always lists all your 1Password items, regardless of type.

• Every item (unless it's in the Trash) can also be in a folder that you created; if it isn't, it's automatically listed in the built-in Unassigned smart folder.

I hope that helps.
  • Thanks to David. Even I haven't meet that problem but your post are very useful to me.
    I learned something for it to solve some problem that struggle in my mind.

Thank you
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forum, johando!

I'm glad the post proved helpful to you. As an archive of discussions with "real users," these forums can provide a useful resource to them and to us.

Thanks for joining us!
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    Thanks, David. Useful information, and I am sorry I failed to explain. Here is the prose I had seen in my initial investigation, which I now think only applies to the Mac version:

"... go to the 1Password > Preferences > General window and click Move. 1Password will ask you for the new location of the data file. Specify the Dropbox folder (or a subfolder within it).."

This allows the user to move the Keychain to a different folder on the computer, a folder which is part of the Dropbox setup.

This option does not appear to be in the Windows version, I don't see the menu items indicated above. So I can't make full use of Dropbox. Obviously I could, from time to time, copy the keychain manually.

Hope this explanation is clearer.

PS - I am not getting emails about replies here, even though that option is ticked. Perhaps you could shake the forum your end, thanks.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    JRS-WB wrote:

Here is the prose I had seen in my initial investigation, which I now think only applies to the Mac version:

"... go to the 1Password > Preferences > General window and click Move. 1Password will ask you for the new location of the data file. Specify the Dropbox folder (or a subfolder within it).."

This allows the user to move the Keychain to a different folder on the computer, a folder which is part of the Dropbox setup.

This option does not appear to be in the Windows version, I don't see the menu items indicated above. So I can't make full use of Dropbox.

On Windows, you can copy your Keychain from A to B using Windows Explorer. Make sure you close down 1Password before you do. When you re-launch 1Password, it should ask you where your Keychain is, and you can point it to B.
  • JRS-WB
    JRS-WB
    Community Member
    Fantastic, Stu, just what I wanted. Thanks to you and David for this. I also see that the link has various other useful tips for Windows which I will peruse another day. Don't know why I missed these earlier. Anyway, great customer support, thanks.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010

On Windows, you can copy your Keychain from A to B using Windows Explorer. Make sure you close down 1Password before you do. When you re-launch 1Password, it should ask you where your Keychain is, and you can point it to B.

Please follow the instructions in How do I move my 1Password data to a different directory? in the FAQ section of the user's guide.
This discussion has been closed.