Touch ID freezes UI if touching home button during launch

124»

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @face,

Our developers have been working on one aspect of Touch ID, which is to fix a rare bug where, if you clicked the home button right after launching 1Password, and the Touch ID prompt appeared over the springboard, and you authenticated against that Touch ID prompt, that 1Password could open up in an unlocked state.

• face
    face
    Community Member

I've spoken too early ... unfortunately this 'damn' bug is still there.

Hope that Apple will fix it with next major sw update.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @face,

Thanks for updating us. Keep in mind that these Touch ID issues arises over time and use. So, a reboot, a reinstall, and updates will temporarily resolve the issues until it eventually becomes a problem again.

That's why it is so difficult to reproduce it and how to explain the issue to Apple.

• Abdiel Ortiz
    Abdiel Ortiz
    Community Member

I have doen further testing on this. I have found that this most likely will happen if the App takes too long to load and you have your finger on the home button. Does not really happen when the App loads fast.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @Abdiel Ortiz,

Thanks for your reports, we appreciate your help. I believe we are already aware of this, it tends to happen more often if iOS terminates the app in the background.

So, if you do this:

1. Kill the 1Password app in the background, and with your finger resting on home button, open 1Password, this should trigger the issue more often
    2. After unlocking, switch out to a different app, and double-press the home button, with your finger on the home button, select 1Password to switch back and it should not trigger the issue

Would that be accurate for you?

• Abdiel Ortiz
    Abdiel Ortiz
    Community Member

@miket I use siri to force crash the App when that happens. I say for example "Siri… Open Twitter". That is how I fix the problem.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @Abdiel Ortiz,

I don't understand, you are saying you can use Siri to crash the app or do you mean you can use Siri to switch to a different app when 1Password is stuck?

• Abdiel Ortiz
    Abdiel Ortiz
    Community Member

@miket When 1P is stuck, you can't go home. The only way to re-enable your abilities on your device is to use siri to switch to another App and force crashing 1P.

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Ah, the "crash" feeling is because of our code of quitting the app when you press Cancel on Touch ID. Leaving Touch ID via Siri or sleeping/waking is the same as pressing Cancel, which is why it looks like it is crashing but it is really our code forcing the app to quit itself.

I don't use Siri myself, so I didn't know you could do that. Thanks for that tip. I'll try to share that for users who are dealing with this.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I am brand new to the beta as of today. My iPhone 6 displayed this problem once since I installed the beta. I've been trying to figure out how to reliably reproduce the problem since befor I installed the beta. I had thought for awhile that it happens more frequently when you rest your finger on the ID sensor, then launch 1Password, and then keep the finger on the sensor for a couple of seconds after 1Password opens. Then close it, got to a different application (Reminders in my testing), and then reopen 1Password. But that hasn't been a reliable trigger after all. I think it might increase the odds of the problem happening, but I can't be sure. I do know I've seen it more often since I started fiddling like that.

• Hi hawkmoth,

Thanks for the details, yea it is more linked to resting your fingerprint on the sensor. It also tends to happen more often if the app was terminated in the background by iOS or if you remove it from the background and open 1Password from the home screen.

This discussion has been closed.