Browser plugin functionality differences

Guido Kollerie
Guido Kollerie
Community Member
edited December 2010 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I regularly switch between browsers. Being a new 1Password user I was somewhat surprised that the browser plugins not only look very differently, but also function differently. Having imported a large number of usernames/password they do not yet allow me to log in automatically (because the form field details haven't been recorded yet). The Chrome plugin is very convenient in allowing me to search for the relevant username/password entry and click on the (>) icon next to the name of the entry to display the entry details (including the password). This allows me to easily copy the password, login and have 1Password created a new entry with form field details for automatic log in.

The Firefox plugin does not seem to have a way to display the entry details. Instead I have to launch 1Password to view these details. Is it your intention to have the plugins function similarly and can I expect the Firefox plugin to have the same features as the Chrome plugin?

See also screenshots:

Comments

• I regularly switch between browsers. Being a new 1Password user I was somewhat surprised that the browser plugins not only look very differently, but also function differently. Having imported a large number of usernames/password they do not yet allow me to log in automatically (because the form field details haven't been recorded yet). The Chrome plugin is very convenient in allowing me to search for the relevant username/password entry and click on the (>) icon next to the name of the entry to display the entry details (including the password). This allows me to easily copy the password, login and have 1Password created a new entry with form field details for automatic log in.

The Firefox plugin does not seem to have a way to display the entry details. Instead I have to launch 1Password to view these details. Is it your intention to have the plugins function similarly and can I expect the Firefox plugin to have the same features as the Chrome plugin?

See also screenshots:

Hi, Guido. Welcome to the forums!

The Chrome extension is definitely one-of-a-kind. Part of the reason is that the Chrome extension rules are different from other browsers, and part is that it is our newest feature and the future for 1Password extensions. It is somewhat like a trial ground. In almost every way, it functions differently than Safari or Firefox, but it is what we plan to bring to those browsers eventually.

Actually, Chrome is missing one feature available in Firefox and Safari, the ability to edit and delete logins straight from the extension. If you would like to view the details of a login from within Firefox, just click the 1P menu, hold shift, and select "Edit LoginName…". If you have to search for the login, then yes, you'll have to go to 1Password or Chrome to do that. Like I said, what we do in Chrome we'll be doing everywhere eventually. I hope you like what you see!
  • Guido Kollerie
    Guido Kollerie
    Community Member
    Hi,

Pleased to hear that you're planning to bring 1Password Chrome extension functionality to other browsers. And yes I do like what I see. Thank you!

--
    Guido

• Pleased to hear that you're planning to bring 1Password Chrome extension functionality to other browsers. And yes I do like what I see. Thank you!

Great! Thanks for the support!
This discussion has been closed.