iOS sync with dropbox not working, can't merge

Options
markwne
markwne
Community Member

Hi,
For years I have had an iMac, PB, iPod and iPad all synced up through Dropbax and working great. Now the iOS devices don't sync and with the iPad I get to the More Info / Don't merge box and can't choose the More Info option (I was able to the first few times but oit wouldn't sync but then lost that choice).
Ipad is iOS8, the iPod is iOS5. The iMac and PB (both OS 10.9.5) still work great. I think all my info is from the two computers so the Dropbox info is up to date. Should I just delete the app off of the iOS devices, reinstall and start over?
Thanks

Comments

• foovius
    foovius
    Community Member
    Options

You probably just need to change your sync method on your devices, then change it back to Dropbox to get syncing started again.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Or, slightly simpler, just try disabling then re-enabling Dropbox sync. If that fails try re-setting Dropbox sync as suggested in this post.

Stephen

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

I did a wi-fi sync with my PB, then tried to sync with Dropbox and got the same issue, vault mismatch and it would only let me choose the do not merge selection.

• If you are certain your info is all on your two computers, then you can do the following:

1. Make a backup on your iMac (or PB). You can do this in the Preferences under "Backup."
    2. In the iOS App, choose Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. This will erase all the settings in the app without you needing to re-download.
    3. The app will then quit. The next time you launch it, you can setup the sync again.

Remember, only do this if you are certain all of your info is on your iMac or PB.

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

It took awhile for me to try this. I erased the existing data on my ipad and then when I went to sync, I can not choose the Dropbox option, only the Wifi and icloud options. Any ideas?

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @markwne,

sorry for the troubles you are having with sync. Do you get any error messages when you try to set up Dropbox sync? What exactly is happening when you try to select the Dropbox option?

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

When I go to set up sync existing vault, while the choices are sync with iCloud, sync with dropbox and sync using wifi, I can only select icloud and wifi. If I try and touch the dropbox option, one of the others is chosen. I could just do the wi-fi sync but would rather do the dropbox as I always have. Ideas?

• Ben
    Options

Just to clarify: you tap on Dropbox and it takes you to iCloud sync settings? Or WiFi sync?

That would be very strange indeed.

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. As I go to tap on Dropbox one of the other two options is highlighted.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @markwne,

This is strange. Let's take a step back and clarify a few things to make sure that we're all on the same page:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password for all computers and devices running 1Password? I see that you've included your OS version numbers in your original post, and that's great! But we need to make sure that 1Password is up-to-date as well. The desktop version numbers can be found in the 1Password > About 1Password menu, and on iOS, look in the Settings screen, below the 'Recommend 1Password' option.
    • I'd love to see a screenshot of the setup screen that you're stuck on. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks for helping us to track this down!

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

My computers are running 4.4.3. The ipad has 5.2. I have not upgraded the computers to Yosemite yet. Do I need to go back to 4 on the iPad. (or perhaps go to Yosemite)?

I was able to create a new vault on ther iPad, however when I went to sync it on Dropbox, I was back in the same situation of choosing the 1pswd file in dropbox and getting a message that there is a mismatch and only being able to choose do not merge.

I have attached a movie of the issue with not being able to tap the dropbox sync. If that does not work I will send screen shots.

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I tried to post a movie but that would not work, so I posted a picture instead.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @markwne,

Can I ask, from that image it looks like you're holding the iPad in landscape mode. It's a bit of a long shot but does it behave in an identical manner if you hold it in portrait mode?

I don't know if it will have any impact at all but can I also ask, do you have the Dropbox app installed on your iPad?

Lastly, if you're happy to do so you could upload the small video you created to your Dropbox (space willing of course) and share that link with us.

Hopefully we can discover why this isn't working for you, it's very strange. You certainly shouldn't need to revert to an older version of 1Password for iOS or upgrade to Yosemite just to get this work, whatever is happening here is a quirk isolated to your iPad.

Can we also confirm exactly what version of iOS 8 you're running? we're now on 8.1.3 with a suitable number of bug fixes in all the versions released.

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

OMG!!! I tried it in portrait mode and it worked fine. I completely forgot to try the simplest thing. Thanks soooo much!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @markwne! I'm glad the suggestion from @littlebobbytables was so helpful. Thanks for letting us know it worked!

If you run into more problems or have any other questions, we're always happy to help! :)

• markwne
    markwne
    Community Member
    Options

I had also been running into problems trying to do the last update to the iOS. Swithced to hitting accept when in portrait mode, worked great. Must be some weird landscape mode issue.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @markwne,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out here! We are still working on polishing up landscape mode for 1Password ... clearly it needs a bit more work yet. :)

As Drew says, we're here if you have any further questions - have a great weekend!

This discussion has been closed.