shared vaults opening but frozen/not usable

Options
Pete_G
Pete_G
Community Member

Newest version installed, 2 shared vaults created, everyone has dropbox and agile keys correct, passwords works, vaults open, left side bar is viewable and folks are able to click on and view a test page I put in notes. Other than this they are unable to do anything with the vault. They can not add or edit or create anything. Obviously they are opening the vaults via 1PasswordAnywhere in Safari (all machines are brand new Macbook Pros, I am the owner of the 1Password App via the MAC App store). The folders in Dropbox have edit permissions on them. I can't figure out why the vaults are not usable to them????? Any insight appreciated.
TY!

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pete_G,

1PasswordAnywhere is a feature that gives you basic, read-only access to your 1Password vault in Dropbox. It's a convenient way to view your 1Password data from a web browser on a device or computer that doesn't have the 1Password app installed, but it is not meant as a full password management solution.

In order for others to share your vault and make changes (as well as use the 1Password browser extension), they will each need to install 1Password on their Macs (or other computers/devices), and add your shared vault via Dropbox sync. We have more information in this user guide article. (You've already done most of the work there, so scroll down to the Access a shared vault section.)

I hope that helps, but we're here for you if you have any questions about that!

• Pete_G
    Pete_G
    Community Member
    Options

Well Drew this is pretty deceptive. See the section below from the users guide. Particularly the line starting with "Who?" Sound pretty straight forward to me "Everyone with access to a shared vault can make changes to it."
    Furthermore Drew, in this section "1PasswordAnywhere Wherever **you go, there you 1Password", it says nothing about the "read only" status.

I find this troubling that this information is not presented to the buyer before the purchase (or even after). I would have looked into multiple licenses had this been evident. I am very disappointed in the way your company is conducting business and at the very least I would request you take a look at your users guides and website. People are willing to pay for a quality product, there is no need to use deceptive practices. I hope you see my point in the information I have presented.
    Thanks for your quick response,
    Pete

1PasswordAnywhere
    Wherever you go, there you 1Password"Since 1Password is available for and syncs between Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android, you can always have your data at hand. If you happen to be an international man (or woman) of mystery, though, you may have the need to access your data in a web browser at some point in your globetrotting. 1Password has you covered."

Share a vault

We see them come; we see them go
    You’ve had a chance to create a new vault, switch to it, and add items to it. (If not, now is your chance! Don’t worry. These instructions will still be here when you come back.) Once you’ve done that, you can begin to enjoy one of the most powerful aspects of having multiple vaults: vault sharing.

Just the facts, ma’am

Before diving into any endeavor, it’s a good idea to get the facts straight. With a little help from the Five Ws (and that perpetually lonely H), we’ll get through this quickly.

Who? — Everyone with access to a shared vault can make changes to it. Changes made to a shared vault will sync with everyone else using that vault.
    What? — Shared vaults have separate Master Passwords and data. Changes made to a shared vault only affect that specific vault.
    When? — While future updates to a shared vault can be revoked, the secrets it already contains can’t be unshared.
    Where? — Your shared vault must be located somewhere that is accessible to those with whom you wish to share.
    Why? — Sharing a vault will get you a promotion at work. It will spice up your marriage. You will be admired by your peers.
    How? — Good question. We’re getting to that now.

• Hi @PeterG,

We apologize for the confusion. I'll ask our docs team to update the guides to remove the misleading statements and the link to 1PasswordAnywhere, which has nothing to do with a shared vault. We were only trying to be useful by mentioning about 1PasswordAnywhere for situations where you might be on a computer without 1Password installed.

1PasswordAnywhere and shared vaults are two different features and I can see the confusion from the last paragraph in the article, where it talked about how you can access your vault from anywhere in the browser.

We do offer a 30-day money back promise and if you'd like to get your money back because of our mistake here, please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com with your purchase information.

• Pete_G
    Pete_G
    Community Member
    Options

Mike its a good product. I don't need my money back. Thank you for taking a look and for your willingness to make improvements.
    Pete

• Ben
    Options

Thank you for the kind words and feedback, Pete.

This discussion has been closed.