Should I use the same master password as on the Mac I set up yesterday?

Options

Last night I installed 1Password 5 for Mac (iMac @ OS 10.10) and created a vault with several log-ins for my most used web sites. Also two Secure Notes. Easy. Impressed already.

Now I'm at work and I just installed 1Password 4 for Windows.

I am at the very first screen after startup on my PC which gives me the options "I am new to 1Password", "I have used 1Password before" and "Restore 1Password Vault from Backup.

I chose, "I am new to 1Password" and let it do its stuff.

Now I'm to the, "Enter Master Password" dialogue. Should I use the same master password as on the Mac I set up yesterday? Is that necessary to sync with the one vault I set up on the Mac?

Obviously I want the vault I created on my Mac at home to be able to sync and give me all my info at work. I have DropBox on both machines and I think I can get through that with the tutorial info.

Thanks!

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Did you setup Dropbox sync on your Mac? If not, you need to do that first:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-dropbox

Once the agilekeychain folder is in Dropbox then you use the "I have used 1Password before" option in Windows and point it to Dropbox. In fact, it might just find the vault automatically.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

@IndyDave, the "I am new to 1Password" option means you don't have a 1Password vault yet that you want to sync to, so 1Password creates a new vault for you.

That vault will have nothing to do with the one you created on your Mac.

You should probably delete that new empty vault on your PC.

Then follow the instructions in the Setting up Dropbox sync article in the 1Password 4 for Windows user's guide.

This discussion has been closed.