Flickering Screen - iMac, Yosemite and 1Password 5

Kin206
Kin206
Community Member

I updated my husbands iMac (less than a year old) to Yosemite. I then updated 1Password to v. 5. When I open 1Password the screen flickers incessantly. I can enter the master password and open 1 password. The screen continues to flicker, then slows down (now appearing like rapid windows refreshing) and then finally becomes stable. Once that occurs, it appears to function normally. Thoughts?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kin206,

That's very strange, I haven't heard of that happening before. Does this happen only with 1Password? Or have you noticed it when opening any other apps?

Have you tried rebooting the Mac to see if it makes any difference? If not, please try that. If it's still a problem after the restart, we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• Kin206
    Kin206
    Community Member

After turning off the mac completely, letting it sit and re-starting, the flickering screen went away. I suspect it was a Yosemite upgrade issue not a 1Password issue. Thank you very much for responding

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @kin208,

Thanks for updating us on this. I believe you would be correct on that it is a Yosemite issue.

I do know there are a few issues with the graphics system in Yosemite, sometime it will just glitch out and you have to restart the Mac to fix this. I've seen this myself a few time, especially when I disconnect and reconnect my external display to my laptop.

If you have a laptop, I strongly suggest you do a backup as soon as possible in case you might have a hardware issue.

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member

A belated addition here: I definitely have a minor issue with display flickering in Yosemite, and for some reason it's most pronounced with 1Password.

I have OS 10.10.1 on a Mac mini 2011 with a ViewSonic VX2453MH monitor. Display-wise, everything was mostly fine in Mountain Lion and Mavericks (just occasionally the whole screen would go magenta).

In Yosemite I see temporary glitches affecting individual windows – for example when opening a "file info" pane in Transmit. In my menu bar, Little Snitch's network activity monitor often flickers.

1Password (5.1 b29 currently) is especially noticeable. When I start to move the main 1Password window around, it "stutters" initially before usually settling down and moving smoothly. It's a minor thing, but no other app seems to behave like this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Charles Butcher‌ I'm sorry to hear of these issues that you're experiencing. Do you have another monitor at all to test with? I'm just wondering if the flickering is specific to a) the monitor or b) the specific interface you're using. I don't know why it should be more pronounced with 1Password and I'm assuming the latest release makes no difference.

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I didn't check back and am obviously not signed up for email notifications.

Good point about trying another monitor. I couldn't do that directly, but I did check my wife's Mac mini 2009 (10.10.2), which has a Dell P2412Hb monitor connected via a miniDP-to-DVI adaptor (my own monitor is HDMI). Similar issue of flickering when moving the 1Password window around, though possibly not as pronounced as on my system, whereas with Mail.app the window motion was smooth. As before, I'm sure this an Apple issue and not confined to 1Password. Mildly irritating, though.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Charles Butcher,

Thanks for letting us know about the results on your wife's Mac & monitor. It's strange that it happens for some apps and not others, although I agree it sounds like an Apple issue. Fortunately it sounds like it only happens when moving the window, so hopefully that means it's fine when using the 1Password app otherwise. If you haven't already done so, you may want to contact Apple about this, perhaps they can suggest a fix?

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member

Thanks Drew. You're correct that it isn't a big issue and doesn't affect our use of 1Password. I'm currently chasing more important bugs in three other programs I depend on, so I think I'll let this one lie. I just thought I'd record our experience in case anyone else comes looking for the same thing, as I did originally.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks Charles, we appreciate it! :) We'll also keep an eye out for this in case other users report a similar issue.

This discussion has been closed.