Export all data

Options

I don't have all the categories filled in yet in 1Password. So don't know how extensive this is. But I noticed something when exporting a CSV file. As I also like to keep a raw copy backup stored offline incase 1Password and/or vaults were to crap out or something. But I noticed it just exported the "Logins". I'd like for it to also export the "Software" licenses data as well as it doesn't export that. I don't know what else it doesn't export as they're not all filled in yet.

So I'd like it when exporting say a CSV file that it will export ALL of the data.

But I also know you can attach items inside 1Password as well like copy of a drivers license. So I wouldn't mind when exporting say a CSV file that maybe it would also give you an export option of exporting that CSV file to a folder that will also export a copy of your attachments as well. Reason for the option is some may not have any attachments, and so would only need to export the CSV data file.

As I believe you can copy and paste your vault where ever you want to have as an additional backup. But I also like the idea of exporting that raw data to offline source as well to have as additional backup that doesn't need the use of 1Password to look at.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

1Password Interchange Format (1PIF) is the only export option that includes types other than Login items.

Your data is backed up automatically (unless you disable that feature, which is not recommended).

If you use Dropbox to sync your data, there's a copy of it on your private dropbox.com web site and on every device associated with the same Dropbox account (unless you use Dropbox's "selective sync" feature to exclude your 1Password vault from one of the sharing devices).

If you have a computer backup regimen (which is recommended for anyone who depends on a computer), your 1Password data and 1Password's automatic backups are included in your backups.

You can also, if you like, create copies of your .agilekeychain folders (each of which corresponds to one of your vaults) anywhere you like.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Can you change that for the CSV export so it will export all the data? I believe the CSV export is the only thing that exports raw data that can be read anywhere. I like to also export the raw data to save as backup offline that doesn't need 1Password to read it. Call it a redundancy, but that is needed when you put all of your eggs in one basket. The 1PIF still needs 1Password to read it assuming there is no issues at a later date getting 1Password to be able to read that file. For example, I've had a program that got updated and couldn't open/read my old files that program had created anymore.

Besides if something happens to your main computer and you have to use an XP machine to temporarily get back up and running. 1Password isn't supported on XP, so having the raw data guarantees no issues getting to your data that you would need.

Yes, I understand it is backed up automatically on the computer. But in the past I've had three different hard drives running the OS that suddenly crashed and burned and thus the hard drive was dead unusable at least connecting the hard drive trying to get to the data as it sat. Luckily I regularly backed my data up to offline sources and didn't really lose much in those instances.

Though I backup offline every time I change something in 1Password. As I'm afraid that I update new online passwords with 1Password, then the OS hard drive crashes and burns before I got around to backing it up to an external source. Thus those new passwords would be unknown, and I'd have to rely on those websites recovery options if they are even available. If security questions were updated and lost due to a crash before a backup was made, then those accounts may be permanently locked up.

I don't use Dropbox, I don't even have a need for it. But I went with 1Password vs. others in order to keep everything off the net. Even though I know there is a risk of a special situation that could occur that causes you to lose data using 1Password when that probably wouldn't happen with an online password manager.

I use the new vault format, not the one you mention in your last sentence. What I've been doing to backup my vault. Is I copy the 1Password folder that the vault and backups save to. And then I paste a copy of that folder to storage that I remove and keep offline. I'm guessing that's what you are talking about in your last sentence.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

I know of no plans to expand delimited-text export to include other data types. For one thing, it would complicate the output extremely, requiring either multiple output files or columns to identify each row's "type," number of fields, etc.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@baker Export to CSV (or 1PIF) is not suitable as a backup copy, because CSV (and 1PIF) are unencrypted. This defeats the purpose of a password manager. Your password manager is supposed to store your passwords in a safe basket.

A couple of notes:

1. Export to CSV does not export your attachments. Export to 1PIF does.
    2. 1PIF is JSON, which can be read everywhere.

As I'm afraid that I update new online passwords with 1Password, then the OS hard drive crashes and burns before I got around to backing it up to an external source.

I'm afraid export to CSV (or 1PIF) is not going to help you here either.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch

Export to CSV (or 1PIF) is not suitable as a backup copy, because CSV (and 1PIF) are unencrypted. This defeats the purpose of a password manager. Your password manager is supposed to store your passwords in a safe basket.

Based on @baker's comment:

I like to also export the raw data to save as backup offline that doesn't need 1Password to read it.

they already known that a csv is unencrypted. That was the point of what they are asking for. Also note that the backup is for offline storage. A valid example would be to print out the CSV and put it in your safe.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

@RichardPayne I think there are so many copies (on your drive, in the cloud, 1Password's automatic backups, etc) that we should advice our customers against this practice. Export to CSV is horribly insecure. If you really must print it out, then put it in a safe and swallow the key.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch,

What @RichardPayne said is correct. I backup the vault and plain text to an external storage device that is removed from the computer and stored elsewhere. I know plain text isn't encrypted. But using 1Password is a risk because there isn't a server out there with your data to be able to go back to if your computer was to crash and burn or if i was lost/stolen. So that's why I manually backup to an external source. Also backup plain text as a fail safe if 1Password quit working for whatever reason, or vault got corrupted and couldn't be used. Or if I needed to use an XP device if my main computer crapped out. I went with 1Password because I wanted nothing on the net and didn't want a password manager that could be accessed through an online server or something. Even though I think Lastpass lets you restrict to locations that are allowed to attempt to log into the account. The one advantage of something like Lastpass, is you probably wouldn't have to worry about losing data if your computer, etc. were stolen. Since your data is being stored on a server.

"I'm afraid export to CSV (or 1PIF) is not going to help you here either."

I don't know what you are talking about there. Fact is I've had hard drives that run the computer fail suddenly and become unusable. So all data on that drive was lost. If you have your vault and vault backups only on that hard drive that failed, then you are screwed.

The point I was making is I do an external backup every time I make a change in 1Password. Reason being is the time in between you make a 1Password change and do an external backup. You are at risk of losing 1Password data that could keep you out of accounts.

For example. Lets say right now you set up 50 new "logins" in 1Password. You DO NOT do any external backups. Then that hard drive running the computer suddenly dies not letting you pull any data off of it. Well guess what, those 50 new "logins" data is now permanently lost. It doesn't matter how many automatic backups are sitting on that drive if it is dead.

You will have to hope those online accounts have backdoors or password forgets in place to let you get into those accounts since the password and other data would be unknown due to the hard drive crash. Heck, you may not even know the usernames to be able to even try to get into the accounts.

I think people just need to go through several crashes and losing data to realize the importance of backing up externally.

What are good/safe programs to use to read the 1PIF file? I assumed it was a 1Password file, but looks it is just plain text that can be read by certain programs.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

there isn't a server out there with your data to be able to go back to if your computer was to crash and burn or if i was lost/stolen

Correct, but this is no reason for a non-encrypted backup. You can create an encrypted backup.

or vault got corrupted and couldn't be used

A plain-text backup can get corrupted for the same reasons an encrypted backup can get corrupted.

or if I needed to use an XP device if my main computer crapped out.

You can always use 1PasswordAnywhere from an XP device.

If you have your vault and vault backups only on that hard drive that failed, then you are screwed.

Correct, but assuming you sync your vault (via Dropbox, for example) then you always have a backup in the cloud.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t make any backups. You should. But you shouldn’t make unencrypted backups. This is not what export to CSV/1PIF is for.

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch

I've read XP isn't supported. And had read of people having some problems using 1Password on XP.

The reason I ALSO exported the plain text on backup was in case the vaults or 1Password were to crap out. Just another layer of redundancy.

But let me ask, has anyone here ran into a situation where your vault got corrupted and you lost your updated 1Password data? That's the reason I also exported the plain text data in case the backup vault got corrupted when I needed it. Just using that plain text as an extra backup option that is kept in a storage device that is kept offline.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

I've read XP isn't supported. And had read of people having some problems using 1Password on XP.

It isn't supported, but it still works. There are some problems, but they're minor; it still works.

But let me ask, has anyone here ran into a situation where your vault got corrupted and you lost your updated 1Password data? That's the reason I also exported the plain text data in case the backup vault got corrupted when I needed it. Just using that plain text as an extra backup option that is kept in a storage device that is kept offline.

If you're storing it in a digital storage device, even offline, then you might as well store the encrypted vault, alongside the installer for 1Password and a text file containing your master password (assuming you want someone else to be able to recover your data in the case of your death). If, post-disaster, you still have the capability to read the storage device then you'll have the ability to installer 1Password. Worst case scenario is that you can use 1PasswordAnywhere.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The reason I ALSO exported the plain text on backup was in case the vaults or 1Password were to crap out. Just another layer of redundancy.

Highly unlikely. Do you really think this is worth the risks that come with plain-text export?

Let's assume a bomb drops on Toronto and everyone in AgileBits dies. Including everyone who works for us abroad.

Our data format has been documented in great detail. There are no proprietary technologies; we use industry-standard encryption. We do NOT roll our own crypto because that would be insecure.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2013/03/06/you-have-secrets-we-dont-why-our-data-format-is-public/

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

If you're storing it in a digital storage device, even offline, then you might as well store the encrypted vault

@RichardPayne This is the point I have been trying to make in this discussion.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Let's assume a bomb drops on Toronto and everyone in AgileBits dies. Including everyone who works for us abroad.

If a bomb that impressive is dropped anywhere on the planet then I suspect that the integrity of your 1Password vault will be the least of your worries! ;)

• baker
    baker
    Community Member
    Options

Like I said. My backups were saving externally a copy of the vault/backups AND also exporting plain text copy to a dedicated external source that is removed from the computer. I was doing BOTH. I also did plain text just as a redundancy.

Please explain how it is risky if I export a plain text with vault into an external storage that is securely stored off the computer and that storage device is not used for anything else? I may not in the future keep exporting plain text. I just started, and also did that for data loss protection since I'm new. Later on instead of also exporting and storing plain text, I may just print the plain text off every once in a while and store that. Though I don't know how you consider it to be a risk to export plain text.

The reason I decided to also export plain text as a backup offline, is when searching around about 1Password. I had read of some having a problem of a corrupted vault. So it's happened. And that was why when I signed up for 1Password decided to also export plain text as added assurance for data loss.

Though looks like 1Password does vault backup once a day at minimum. Would be nice if it also did vault backup every time you saved the vault as well.

If you're storing it in a digital storage device, even offline, then you might as well store the encrypted vault, alongside the installer for 1Password and a text file containing your master password.

@RichardPayne

Yes, I plan on keeping a copy of the MP offline too. Probably keep a copy on two separate small dedicated storage devices that doesn't get used for anything. i.e. make a copy and store them and not mess with them again unless I change my MP. And also do a printout. That way small to no risk of intrusion on that storage device. Also good idea to also store the installer as well. I didn't think about that. But I probably wouldn't have the MP and installer/vault on the same device. You can get cheap small USB or whatever storage devices that you can format and put the MP on and then store it in your safe or somewhere. Then you can store your vaults and/or plain text to a separate external device.

I also looked at getting a Yubikey. As you can use that to supplement your MP with a bunch of gibberish. That gives you a really strong MP that you don't have to remember the whole thing. I've read a few articles of people doing this with 1Password. But I guess it's not official here to use those things with 1Password MP.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Please explain how it is risky if I export a plain text with vault into an external storage ...

Every time you export into plain text, you make the file readable in memory and to any present malware so interested in reading the data. Doing this once might be necessary (for conversion or import purposes). Doing this repeatedly increases the number of exposures with each occurrence.

You must also manage how and where those exported files are stored initially. You must make sure there are no temporary copies, or that your backup software does not attempt to store the file. You probably want to make sure the file system is not shared. And there are other things you might need to do - all combined, placing the burden of security on you the user who must understand the entire computer system and its operations VERY well.

Folks often devise solutions to perceived problems, and challenge experts to explain why the solutions are problematic. It is generally more effective to focus on the actual requirements, and in your case this is how to ensure your secure backup data is readable in the future. The answer, like all backup strategies, is to test it periodically.

I'll agree with the others that have suggested your constructed failure scenarios are unrealistic. If you suddenly woke up and found yourself in the year 2090, it might be safe to assume 1Password is no longer functional. But in day-to-day living, the likelihood of being unable to import your secure backup data (which you've tested periodically, right?) is likely nil.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@svondutch wrote:

You can always use 1PasswordAnywhere from an XP device.

@baker wrote:

I've read XP isn't supported.

1Password for Windows isn't supported on XP (though, as others have noted, it works to some extent).

1PasswordAnywhere is browser-based read-only access to your 1Password data stored in an encrypted form on your private dropbox.com web site. As far as I know, it has nothing to do with the operating system on which the browser is running.

This discussion has been closed.