I can't figure out how to use 4.2b7 in-app filling

timtrueman
timtrueman
Community Member

I've enabled the keyboard, and turned on 1Password in accessibility (both the items in the settings checklist in 1Password say disable) but I see nothing when I go to an app with a login that worked in 4.2b6. Switching to the 1Password keyboard doesn't seem to do anything either. I tried clean starting apps and rebooting.

What am I missing?

Nexus 6 running 5.0.1.

Comments

• fatboyw
    fatboyw
    Community Member

I am on Kitkat 4.4.4 and I am excited to see this feature coming to Android 4.1+. I did exactly the same procedure and tried a few web sites in Chrome. The 1Password icon on the keyboard is always grey. Doesn't seem to be working.

Another comment is related to the keyboard. Over here in the Asia Pacific region, there are people that use a combination of English and CJK keyboard or there are people that use CJK keyboard exclusively. With this feature only working with 1Password keyboard, it is very limiting for users in the AP region.

• laestrella
    laestrella
    Community Member

I'm having issues as well. I can't even log in after I click on the 1password icon. It says unlocked and the asks for my password again.

• MrCippy
    MrCippy
    Community Member

+1

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member

force quit the app and then start it again...

• Mossop
    Mossop
    Community Member

Yep this new beta has completely broken password filling. How can we go back to a previous version?

• byronbrewer
    byronbrewer
    Community Member

Lollipop autofill is busted for me too in b7. Thankfully I saved a copy of the b6 APK. If anyone wants it send me a DM.

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

this beta is god awful I'm uninstalling it and switching back to the regular app it's just not worth it...

I don't know where to begin...from the lag in the browser,the overheating of my device, the battery drain or the fact that app filling is not working...for me honestly this is a step back...

• byronbrewer
    byronbrewer
    Community Member

I just read the FAQ they posted about the new keyboard and I'm a little confused. Are they forcing people to use the 1Password keyboard if you want access to autofill or was this unintentionally broken in the b7 build? Hopefully it's the latter.

• timtrueman
    timtrueman
    Community Member

@byronbrewer even using the keyboard I can't figure out how to fill in passwords. It's just a keyboard, there's no unlock or fill options visible.

• byronbrewer
    byronbrewer
    Community Member

@timtrueman you're not missing much. Honestly, I can't imagine there are many Android folks who would be willing to give up their keyboard of choice just to get autofill. Especially when there are alternatives out there that give more attention to Android development and have autofill working without a clunky keyboard implementation. I purchased an annual LastPass Pro subscription this morning and migrated all of my data to put it through the paces. Really frustrating to think about all the money I have invested in 1Password licenses (OSX, iOS and Android) but oh well.

• First of all, thank you all for being part of our beta family. We really appreciate the feedback you have given us and I will pass them on to our development team.

Just to clarify, the previous implementation where the 1Password icon would hover above the password field no longer exists. Instead, we implemented a custom keyboard for filling and the accessibility service for detecting login fields. The accessibility service is now supported on Android OS running 4.1 and later and is used in combination with the keyboard to perform automatic filling.

After enabling the accessibility service, the 1Password icon on the keyboard glows blue when login fields are detected. Tapping this icon will allow you to select the login you want to perform filling with. If you prefer keeping this service disabled or 1Password did not detect login fields correctly, the 1Password icon will remain grey. This means you can long press the 1Password icon and select the login item to perform manual filling using the options available just above the keyboard.

We also recently posted a sticky with answers to some of the questions that you might have. It includes the reasoning behind this approach and what advantages this keyboard implementation brings for our users. Please do have a read through our sticky! We love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks!

• byronbrewer
    byronbrewer
    Community Member

Just to clarify, the previous implementation where the 1Password icon would hover above the password field no longer exists. Instead, we implemented a custom keyboard for filling and the accessibility service for detecting login fields.

@saad This is the final straw for me. As a former iOS 1Password customer I know how much work goes into the 1Password apps for iOS. Sadly the Android product doesn't get the same amount of attentional and/or resources. I've been using LastPass all day today and while it's not as pretty as 1Password their implementation of credential filling is spot-on. No half-baked keyboard solution required.

We also recently posted a sticky with answers to some of the questions that you might have.

@saad Not sure if you guys are doing it on purpose or not but from my side of things it looks like you're being intentionally vague about ditching the old filling method and that your new implementation will require using the 1Password keyboard if you want support for credential filling.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I've been using LastPass all day today and while it's not as pretty as 1Password their implementation of credential filling is spot-on. No half-baked keyboard solution required.

I'd been thinking about that was for while. How can LastPass do it and 1Password can't?
    Your post prompted me to try it out and you know what, it seemed really flakey to me.

You should also note that it only seems to work in Chrome as Agilebits found. LastPass do have a Firefox for Android Add-on but it is both clunky and didn't seem to work very well. Pro tip for LastPass: testing on Facebook is generally a good idea.

• byronbrewer
    byronbrewer
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

I'd been thinking about that was for while. How can LastPass do it and 1Password can't? Your post prompted me to try it out and you know what, it seemed really flakey to me.

What version of Android? I'm on 5.0.1 and I haven't noticed any strange behaviors with filling.

You should also note that it only seems to work in Chrome as Agilebits found. LastPass do have a Firefox for Android Add-on but it is both clunky and didn't seem to work very well. Pro tip for LastPass: testing on Facebook is generally a good idea.

I only use Chrome so that's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I've just been really unimpressed with the Android devs at 1Password. The version that's in the Play Store has a bug that I (and others) reported over a month ago. That same bug has reared it's head in at least 2-3 other releases in the past year. Having been a 1Password iOS customer previously I know how diligent they are about getting things right for iOS and I don't feel the Android app gets the same treatment. So for me it's less about their decision to drop filling support for non-1Password keyboards and more about a year long subpar experience.

• Fidler
    Fidler
    Community Member

Dude awesome post...you nailed it....

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

What version of Android? I'm on 5.0.1 and I haven't noticed any strange behaviors with filling.

• Mossop
    Mossop
    Community Member

Having to switch to custom keyboard to auto-copy logins into fields doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. The bad thing is that I also have to use this custom keyboard to enter my master password to access the logins in the first place. With none of the layout and features of my default keyboard entering my long password is very frustrating to put it mildly. Why can't I unlock my vault with my own password then use the 1password keyboard just for pasting login details?

• @byronbrewer I apologize if we're coming off as being vague-- that's not our intention. On the contrary, we posted the sticky in order to be open about the choice we made and why we made it. Quite simply, there were certain situations where in-app filling would not work--on sites with WebViews, for example. So our options were to go ahead with the release knowing that we wouldn't be able to fix those issues, or go with a different implementation. We chose the latter.

Technically, there is a third option, which other password managers employ as a workaround for those issues--clipboard automation. Being a security company, we just do not see putting our users' secure data onto the clipboard as a viable option. If there's a choice between convenience and security, we will choose security. That's our job.

That said, we fully appreciate all of the feedback we're getting with regards to the new keyboard, and hoping to improve it's usability soon. :)

@Mossop you should be able bypass having to enter your Master Password with the 1Password keyboard by enabling a PIN code. That way, you'll be able to enter your Master Password with your preferred keyboard, and then only have to enter the PIN using the 1Password keyboard.

Please let us know if you have further feedback or questions! Also, please make sure to update to the latest beta (4.2b9). Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.