Bug: AlertMe website crashes 1Password

m_w
m_w
Community Member
Hi - every time I'm trying to log into my AlertMe website (https://secure.alertme.com/) I can see the login page loading but before the credentials are filled in 1Password crashes.

BTW, I have the same login setup under SplashID and it works fine there.

Cheers
Michael

PS: What's the best way of reporting bugs?

Comments

• m w wrote:

Hi - every time I'm trying to log into my AlertMe website (https://secure.alertme.com/) I can see the login page loading but before the credentials are filled in 1Password crashes.

I can't seem to reproduce this in Safari. Using a dummy login item, I was able to successfully fill and submit the form (obviously I could not get in without a real account). What do you mean by 1Password crashing? Did the main application crash, the browser extension, or something else? Also, which browser are you using?

Sorry for the interrogation, but for something like this, we've got to know what we're dealing with before we can even try to fix it.

m w wrote:

PS: What's the best way of reporting bugs?

The best way is right here, or you can email us at support@agile.ws.
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    edited January 2011
    Hi Rob - I should have been more specific.

I'm running 1Password for iPhone v3.5.4 on my iPod touch (2nd gen) which runs the latest 4.2.1 iOS and I'm connected through my WiFi router at home. I open the 1Password app, enter my unlock code, open the AlertMe record, enter my master password, and then click on the URL. At this point, 1Password loads the AlertMe login page for a few seconds before the app terminates (crashes) and I return to the iPod app menu. This happens every time.

Cheers
    Michael
  • m w wrote:

I'm running 1Password for iPhone v3.5.4 on my iPod touch (2nd gen) which runs the latest 4.2.1 iOS and I'm connected through my WiFi router at home. I open the 1Password app, enter my unlock code, open the AlertMe record, enter my master password, and then click on the URL. At this point, 1Password loads the AlertMe login page for a few seconds before the app terminates (crashes) and I return the iPod app menu. This happens every time.

<smackhead /> Actually, that's completely my fault for not paying attention to what forum I was in (the 1Password for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad forum). :-)

So, back to the issue (now that I've sufficiently bruised my forehead), I can't reproduce it on my iPod either. With my dummy login, I tapped the arrow next to the URL field. It took me to the AlertMe website, filled in my dummy details and just sat there (which is expected) until I pressed "Sign In".

Try creating a new login from scratch, and see if that produces the same issues.

Thanks for putting up with my brainlessness. :-)
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Hi Rob - hope your forehead is feeling better now ;-)

I created a new record and it worked. But then I also copied the notes from the original record over and it crashed again. The note has 923 chars but this doesn't seem to be the issue as I changed the note to contain a dummy Lorem ipsum text of the same length and it didn't crash. I have a modified a version of the note that is a lot smaller than the original one but is still crashing the app (see attached note.txt.zip).

Cheers
    Michael
  • rob
    rob
    edited January 2011
    m w wrote:

I created a new record and it worked. But then I also copied the notes from the original record over and it crashed again. The note has 923 chars but this doesn't seem to be the issue as I changed the note to contain a dummy Lorem ipsum text of the same length and it didn't crash. I have a modified a version of the note that is a lot smaller than the original one but is still crashing the app (see attached note.txt.zip).

I copied that note to my item, but still could not get 1P to crash. Could you send a cleansed version of your login (one that still crashes but doesn't have valuable information) to support@agile.ws? Include a link to this forum thread in case someone gets it before me.

Thanks for helping us diagnose this issue!

Edit: I forgot to mention how to do that. Export your cleansed login item as a 1Password Interchange file. Then open the file that you exported (data.1pif) in a text editor and make sure that no sensitive information (like password history) remains. Then attach that data.1pif file in an email to us. Thanks!
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Done - email sent.
  • m w wrote:

Done - email sent.

Thanks, Michael. That definitely helped. I'm not sure why yet, but it's the first two blank lines in your note that are causing the problem. If you need them there, try deleting them, saving, and then adding new line breaks back in. For some reason, they were not converted to appropriate line breaks. I'll see if we can figure out more.
  • OK, found out what it was. It's name is "LINE SEPARATOR" and is Unicode 2028. I don't know where you got that character from, but it's the culprit. Like I said above, though, if you delete the first two lines, and add two new lines, 1Password should add two normal line breaks (\n\n).

Thanks again!
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Hi Rob - the original notes text came from an AlertMe web page (maybe a PDF) and it quite long. There's a lot more text before the 2 empty lines. I left them in deliberately in the test version as I had feeling it had something to do with non-printable chars. Anyway, I'm glad you found the root cause and it's easy to clean up the line breaks.

Cheers
    Michael
  • m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Success - I cleaned up the line breaks and now the AlertMe login is working fine on my iPod. Thanks Rob :-)

Cheers
    Michael
  • rob
    rob
    edited January 2011
    m w wrote:

Hi Rob - the original notes text came from an AlertMe web page (maybe a PDF) and it quite long. There's a lot more text before the 2 empty lines. I left them in deliberately in the test version as I had feeling it had something to do with non-printable chars. Anyway, I'm glad you found the root cause and it's easy to clean up the line breaks.

m w wrote:

Success - I cleaned up the line breaks and now the AlertMe login is working fine on my iPod. Thanks Rob :-)

No problem. I'm glad you got it working finally! Let us know if we can be of further assistance.
This discussion has been closed.