Using 1Password on my work computer where I cannot install browser extensions and on my iPhone.

I just recently purchased 1Password, so I am still learning how the entire 1Password process and system works.

I installed it on my home, Windows computer, and have captured most of my passwords there and installed the browser extensions for both IE and Chrome (I use both browsers at home), so that I can use 1Password on my home computer. That seems to be working OK.

But, I also have a "work" laptop (also a Windows machine)., but I cannot install software on it (admin rights are locked) on it.

How can I access my 1Password passwords if I am on my work laptop, which is probably 80% of the time (I travel a lot for work, so I am always travelling with it). I need to get access to my web sites while traveling and can't wait to get home to use my "home" computer.

In addition, I also have an Iphone and sometimes that is all I have on me, so is there a way to also use my iPhone to access my websites and use the 1Password system?

Sorry if this is simple stuff.. I'm still trying to figure out how all the different pieces of this system work..

Thanks.

Michael

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

How can I access my 1Password passwords if I am on my work laptop

You can use 1PasswordAnywhere.

I travel a lot for work

Have you considered installing 1Password on your iPhone or iPad or Android Phone? This alternative is nicer (and safer) than 1PasswordAnywhere.

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member

OK.. Thanks. I will look into configuring 1PasswordAnywhere.
    Looks like I need to somehow configure it through my dropbox account?
    The concern about the iPhone is that I may not have my iPhone on me but may still need to get onto an account.
    What is the concern with 1PasswordAnywhere?? Is it not safe, or is it just that if someone gets into my dropbox, they can get all my passwords??
    Michael

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I will look into configuring 1PasswordAnywhere. Looks like I need to somehow configure it through my dropbox account?

Correct. 1PasswordAnywhere needs your 1Password data in Dropbox.

The concern about the iPhone is that I may not have my iPhone on me

I always have my phone on me :)

What is the concern with 1PasswordAnywhere? Is it not safe

It is safe, but it is theoretically vulnerable to a MITM attack. The powers to be (for example: Dropbox itself, or the NSA) could trick you into giving them your master password.

if someone gets into my dropbox, they can get all my passwords?

No they cannot. Your 1Password data is protected by your master password. Someone who gets into your Dropbox has your 1Password data, but they do not have your master password.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No they cannot. Your 1Password data is protected by your master password. Someone who gets into your Dropbox has your 1Password data, but they do not have your master password.

Unless, of course, they corrupt your 1password.html file and you're using 1PasswordAnywhere.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Unless, of course, they corrupt your 1password.html file and you're using 1PasswordAnywhere.

@RichardPayne that is the MITM attack that I talk about here.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I know @svondutch. I was just joining the dots for @einstem.

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member

OK. Thanks. I'm reading the instructions around the 1Password and dropbox, and I honestly find them pretty confusing.
    I logged into my 1Password program on my Windows computer, and there seems to be an option to move my password file to my dropbox folder.
    Is that what I select to do?
    Presume that somehow copies my password file to my dropbox account, so that I can then access my passwords from anywhere as long as I can get to my dropbox.
    Don't want to mess things up and lose my passwords somehow.
    Thanks.
    Michael

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@einstem Please read our 10-minute quick start. Then read all about Dropbox sync.

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member

OK.. I think I have made progress. I set-up my 1Password on my home computer to use Dropbox, and now I have 1Password on my iPhone and I can also get to the "1Password Anywhere" by accessing the "1Password.HTML" file that is in a subdirectory on my Dropbox.

But now I have a few questions/issues with using the interface that I get with the "1Password.HTML" file:

1) I see all my passwords from my vault, but I don't see any of the "categories" that I have created to organize them. Is the "categories" feature not supported on the HTML version of 1Password? Its just a big, alphabetical list of my passwords with a "Search Box", but I lost all the great categorization I had set-up at home. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not supported?

2) There is a URL displayed, but I can't click on it to go to that URL ?! Should the URL be "live" so I can click on it??

3) The username and password can be "revealed", but there is no "copy" feature to copy them to my clipboard. You have a little "Reveal" button to reveal the password, but why don't you have a "copy to clipboard" button for the "username" and the "password". Otherwise I literally have to use my mouse to "highlight" the text and copy it myself. Not easy or friendly at all.

4) The HTML version seems to be automatically "locking" in about 60 seconds! Is there a way to make it stay unlocked for a longer period of time?? I often have a few sites I need to access from work, and this is the only way I can do it.. and constantly typing in my long password is making me nuts....

5) I don't quite understand why, but my "username" and "password" appear to be duplicated for almost every entry in the HTML file list. There is a 'username' and 'password' up at the top of each entry, and then there are all other types of weird fieldnames displayed next, but always seems to have the username and password again, although sometimes with different fieldnames such as " uname" or "login_pass" or "ATM_Cardnumber".. What is all this other stuff?

Sorry so many questions, but trying to get this working.

Thanks.

Michael

• einstem
    einstem
    Community Member

thanks so much for the info.. I'll check on the categories on a different browser...

• Please let us know if you have more questions.

Kind people like brenty are always here to help, so is the AgileBits crew.

This discussion has been closed.