New iPhone, restored previous backup, lost all passwords!

Options
helmat78
helmat78
Community Member

Hi. I had 1password on my iPhone 4S (free version) and backed up the phone to iCloud regularly. I got a new iPhone 5S so set it up restoring the last backup I did from iCloud - I tried to log into 1password and had to set it up from scratch and now can't figure out how to access all my saved passwords that were on there! Please can someone help as Im not really a tech person......thanks

Comments

• Hi @helmat78,

Were you using version 5 on your iPhone 4s? If so, then you just need to setup iCloud sync on your new phone. When you launch 1Password on your new phone, choose the "Sync existing vault" option. Then choose iCloud and it should pull all of your information down. If it does not work, or you get an error message please let us know what error messa

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

It's set to sync to iCloud but there's no option saying 'sync existing vault'?

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

Ok I deleted app from phone and reinstalled it. On set up I clicked sync existing vault. It's asking for my vault password which I'm putting in but it's saying incorrect password. Now what do I do??! It's def the right one

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

I first used 1password on my iPhone 4s and only on that device. I didn't have the app on my Mac. My phone broke so I couldn't access anything on it so I got a new iPhone 5s. I restored the last backup from the old phone onto the new one which brought across 1password. When I tried to access my vault it wasn't there and stated I had to create new one or sync existing vault. I went through sync existing vault and sync with iCloud in the hope that my data is there and it states that the vault is there so....I say 'continue' and it's asking for my vault password. The hint is self explanatory to me yet the password is not working. I get incorrect password every time and have now exhausted all options for the password. I added 1password to my Mac and going through 'I've used 1password before' it gives me 4 options. I don't have Dropbox and there don't appear to be any files anywhere (including iCloud drive) for the 3 other options. I have read the guides online about syncing and setting up to iCloud and both iOS and Mac are set up correctly as far as I can see. My original vault is clearly in iCloud but I can't seem to get at it. I've gone into preferences on Mac and security and change master password and the following error comes up - 'not a primary vault - cannot change master password when a secondary vault is active. Please switch to a primary vault'. When I go into 'sync' in preferences on Mac there are no vaults showing. I don't know what a secondary vault is and I'm guessing the one stuck in iCloud is my primary one??! How do I access it and sort it all out? Please help

• Ben
    Options

Hi @helmat78,

To clarify: the only place your data currently lives is in iCloud (you do not have it on another device or in a backup: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios/5/en/topic/itunes-backups ) and when you try to sync a fresh install of 1Password with iCloud it tells you that your 1Password Master Password is incorrect (not your iCloud password). Is that right?

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that's right

• Hi @helmat78,

Did you change your Master Password previously? If so, please try entering your old Master Password, as it's possible the data in iCloud is still using the old one.

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried all passwords I can think of and its always coming up as incorrect password. I don't know what else to do - I had so many passwords saved in the vault and can't get at them :(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@helmat78,

In post #3 you said

It's set to sync to iCloud but there's no option saying 'sync existing vault'?

• Can I ask, when you had to start again did you create a new vault and sync that to iCloud?
    • If you did create a new vault when you first set it up from scratch did you reuse the old Master Password or did you set up a new one?
    • If you used a new Master Password does that one unlock the sync data in iCloud that you can't currently unlock?

I am sorry to hear you've been having all of this trouble.

I'm also curious about something else. Were you running iOS 8 on your iPhone 4S or were you running an older version? I'm assuming the 5S is running iOS 8 so I also wonder if you upgraded to iCloud Drive at the same time you set up the new 5S.

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

After I'd written that I realised where it said it and I do have that option so when I choose that option it has confirmed that there is data in iCloud. When I choose sync to iCloud it asks for the password but anything I put in it says is incorrect. I'm sure the 4s was on iOS 8 and my 5s is up to date. I think when I set up the new phone the 1password app went to first set up so I chose create new vault thinking it might pull all the info in my current vault into it but it didn't. I've since deleted the app and reinstalled it and I then had the option to sync existing vault and this is where I started getting the password issue. I've tried every password I can think of and nothing is working.

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Adding the 1Password people. Would it make a difference if you had the old iPhone set up to iCloud before and the new iPhone has iCloud Drive?

• Ben
    Options

Adding the 1Password people. Would it make a difference if you had the old iPhone set up to iCloud before and the new iPhone has iCloud Drive?

Yes. Data added to "original" iCloud sync is no longer available after upgrading to iCloud Drive. Upgrading to iCloud Drive is an irreversible account-wide change. This post has more info:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/28618/attention-all-icloud-users-important-changes-in-1password-5-os-x-10-10-and-ios-8#latest

Thanks.

• helmat78
    helmat78
    Community Member
    Options

Its recognising that I have 1password data in icloud but it the vault password it won't accept. It's displaying the password hint but when I put it in in any combination I can think of it says incorrect password.

• Ben
    Options

@helmat78,

Unfortunately (or, fortunately, depending on your perspective) it is impossible to unlock a 1Password vault without the correct Master Password.

Please see this guide:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience but unfortunately there is nothing we're able to do to unlock the vault.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.