Don't understand how to create vault on android phone

jkeehn
jkeehn
Community Member

Sorry, this probably a very basic question.
I have 1Password for for my Mac, and that works fine.
I also downloaded 1Passowrd for my Android phone (Samsung4) but can't seem to set it up.
Should I select:
1. I'm a New 1Password user (since I don't yet have it on my phone)
OR
2. I've Used 1 Password before (since I have it on my mac)
I assumed choice 2, but when I do that, and select: Sync using local storage, it says it can't find my vault on my phone (which makes sense, since I have not created it on my phone before).
But if I select: I'm a new 1 Password User, do I have to create a new master password for my phone?

Thanks
I'm sure this is a simple question, but I'm stymied.

Thanks
Joel

Comments

• peri
    edited February 2015

Hi @jkeehn! Thanks for being an awesome 1Password supporter! I'll be glad to help you get 1Password rockin' on your Samsung. :)

Selecting 'I'm a new 1Password user' will allow you to set up a new, empty vault on your Android, which doesn't sound like what you want to do. Since you already have a vault on your Mac, you're going to want to pick 'I've used 1Password before.'

However, you'll need to sync your data to your Android before 1Password will recognize your vault. There are currently two options for syncing on Android; Dropbox and local storage. I recommend using Dropbox, which has built-in support on Android.

Here are a couple of guides to get you set up with Dropbox on your Mac and Android:

Mac: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/sync-dropbox

Android: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-android/4/en/topic/settings-sync

If you prefer to use local storage on your Android, you can manually transfer the 1Password.agilekeychain via USB onto your Android's local storage, and then sync from there. Please keep in mind that this will be a one time data transfer, and will not sync any changes. To sync changes, you'll need to transfer the .agilekeychain as you make changes (or at least semi-regularly).

In order to copy your vault (.agilekeychain) to your Android, here's what I recommend:

• Connect your Android to your Mac with a USB cable
    • Copy the .agilekeychain entirely into your Android's local storage
    • Open 1Password on your Android and choose I've used 1Password before
    • Choose Sync using local storage and locate the .agilekeychain you transferred

Please let me know if that helps or if you have further questions! Thanks! :)

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member

Thanks.
    I'm getting closer, but maybe my Dropbox is not working properly.
    I was able to choose Dropbox through 1password preferences. And in my local Dropbox folder I now see the agilekeychain thing in the dropbox folder. But when I try to sync up to Dropbox through 1password on my android, it says it does not find the agilekeychain thing in my my dropbox folder. And when I look in my dropbox folder online (through my mac) I don't see it there, either. In otherwords, in only shows up on the dropbox folder on my mac.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Joel

• Hmm. I'm not sure what's going on there. I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports from your Android and Mac:

---Android---
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#and4

---Mac---
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/diagnostics-report

Then attach the files to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member

Two questions:
    1. I can't Create Email Message, so I understand I am supposed to drag the report icon to my desktop, and then attach that to an email. But I don't see the report icon on my computer. Where would it be?
    2. I presume I am supposed to run the android diagnostic from my phone, but how do I get the link to my phone? Email or text it to myself?

Thanks
    Joel

• peri
    edited February 2015
    1. I can't Create Email Message, so I understand I am supposed to drag the report icon to my desktop, and then attach that to an email. But I don't see the report icon on my computer. Where would it be?

Once you drag it to the desktop, the icon is no longer visible. Instead it will be a .zip file called 1PasswordDiagnostics--2015-02-21_xx-xx.zip

You can send it in a separate email from the Android Diagnostics Report to simplify things. Just make sure to put a link to this discussion in the body so that I can find it.

1. I presume I am supposed to run the android diagnostic from my phone, but how do I get the link to my phone? Email or text it to myself?

You don't need to download the troubleshooting tool onto your Android--it's built in to 1Password on the device. Open 1Password and tap Settings > Advanced > Email diagnostics and then tap Send mail.

That should do the trick! Let me know if you have further questions.

• jkeehn
    jkeehn
    Community Member

Ok, I e-mailed you the diagnostic report from the Mac. Let me know if you get it.

But still stuck on the android. I have not yet been able to fully load 1password onto my Samsung, cuz I can't get past the Storage & Syncing screen on setup (cuz I can't sync with Drop box). I think that is why I can't open 1Password settings, as you directed: Settings > Advanced > Email diagnostics and then tap Send mail.

I'm sure I'm doing something very basic, very wrong, so sorry for my denseness! :)

Joel

• Hey, I just found your Diagnostics Report and I'm looking into it now. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.