1password Set-up

danterlep
danterlep
Community Member

I have a general set-up question. I own a Mac and a few Iphones. I also use a PC for work. I'd like to access and synchronize passwords from all places. Any recommendations on the set-up for 1password? What are the trade-offs with using Cloud Sync compared to Wi-Fi Sync?

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Cloud sync (and since we're including Windows, that means Dropbox sync) is so much easier than Wi-fi sync. If you use a decent master password then there really is little harm in using Dropbox.

Cloud sync is automatic. Wi-fi sync is manual.
    Cloud sync does not require the devices to be in close proximity.
    Cloud sync makes syncing more than 2 devices much easier.

The only read advantage of Wi-fi sync that I can think of is the case where your company blocks use of Dropbox and does allow you to use their wifi.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

While I don't demur from most of what @RichardPayne has said—it's good solid advice—my personal preference (using only Mac and iOS devices) is for wifi sync. I do not wish to use Dropbox or iCloud to sync my 1P data even though I accept Richard's comment that:

If you use a decent master password then there really is little harm in using Dropbox.

I'd just still rather that sort of information (i.e., my 1P data) is not in the Cloud. I accept that's not a completely rational view. It's nevertheless one that comforts me irrationally. :)

The one thing I would say is that, to the extent you have 1P unlocked on your devices. wifi sync is now completely automatic as between a Mac and an iOS device (providing you're using 1P5 on both).

Just another point of view...that's all.

Stephen

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

wifi sync is now completely automatic as between a Mac and an iOS device (providing you're using 1P5 on both).

So do the multiple devices detect each other as they join and leave the wifi network and trigger a sync when they join?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

So do the multiple devices detect each other as they join and leave the wifi network and trigger a sync when they join?

As I'm sitting at home with all my devices on the local wifi network when I sync I can't really answer that question. As I mentioned, 1P has to be unlocked on each so almost invariably I have to take the conscious step of unlocking 1P on any device I'm not using at the time I need to sync. However, once 1P is unlocked, assuming all are on the same local wifi network, they will sync happily whenever necessary.

As I understand it (simply from reading other posts) the devices initially communicate with each other using Bonjour in OS X. Sorry not to have more technical knowledge to answer your question. Maybe someone from AgileBits will chime in.

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Having to open 1Password to trigger a sync over WiFi isn't different from using a cloud-based solution. It syncs right after you open it, not while it's closed.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You're right for incoming changes, but outgoing sync immediately from the mobiles. Windows/Mac syncs immediately in both directions.

Frankly I've already requested automatic incoming sync in the Android forum. The Dropbox API supports it so there's really no reason not to have it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danterlep ,

There's been a lot of great discussion here, so I hope that your question has been covered already, but if you are curious about anything else, please do let us know - we're happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.