What license do I buy?

cgagliardi
cgagliardi
Community Member

I've decided to move my life into 1Password. My wife and I are going to share a 1Password vault. Across our devices we have: my macbook, my 2 android tablets, my android phone, her macbook, and her iPhone.

I have already purchased the Android license on my phone. Will this work on my tablets as well? What about the other devices? Should I purchase the Mac and iOS licenses? Will the Mac license work for both laptops?

Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If you and your wife share the same Apple ID or have activated Family Sharing under Yosemite and iOS 8, you can share the same license for the Macs, if you purchase from the Mac App Store. You should buy it there if you want to use iCloud for syncing. (Although iCloud isn't going to work for Android, so you more likely will want to use Dropbox or WiFi syncing.) If you purchase the desktop version for your Mac directly from the AgileBits web store, a single user license can be shared by up to six family members in the same household. Note that these are the same terms as under Family Sharing from Apple.

The licenses are provided on a per user, per platform basis, which means that you will need to buy three versions, one for Mac, one for Android, and one for iOS. Again, if you share the same Apple ID, you would both be able to use the same license for iOS, although that may not matter to you, since you mention only one iOS device. I think the Android license should work for both your phone and your tablet, but I'm not an Android user, so you probably want to check the Google Play Store to find out for sure. The iOS version is universal - it serves iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask more questions if you need to.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

So long as all three Android devices are using the same GooglePlay account then you'll only need a single 1Password license.

• cgagliardi
    cgagliardi
    Community Member

Thanks everyone! I purchased the Mac license rather than trying to rely on the Apple Store Family Sharing.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No great loss since you can't use iCloud anyway, due to your Androids.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cgagliardi‌

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to find the license that best fits your needs. If you have any questions about setup, take a look at our User Guides and Knowledgebase, or let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

• dougkramer
    dougkramer
    Community Member

Thanks for the info.

This is a suggestion for your tech writer who updates this page:
    https://agilebits.com/store/licenses

I have a license for Mac, and my Android trial is coming to an end. I had a simple thought: I've already bought 5 licenses, so I'll use one for my Android. So I entered my address and was confused when the license I was emailed said "1Password5 for Mac".

So I carefully read that licensing page, read all the examples, and also read the License FAQ, looking to see if it I needed to purchase a license for Android. Nowhere does it explicitly say I need to purchase a license for my Android. Here's what it says:

Our software is licensed per person and per platform, not per device.
    Each user and each platform requires a license. Licenses can be shared
    by up to six family members living in the same household.

To me, it's not clear how I get an Android license. Can I assign one of my Mac licenses to my Android phone? It was confusing that it never comes right out and says I need to purchase it. So I searched the web and found this discussion page that you're now reading, where hawkmoth says very clearly:

The licenses are provided on a per user, per platform basis, which means that you will
    need to buy three versions, one for Mac, one for Android, and one for iOS.

This is crystal clear, and I don't have to deduce what "requires" means. So now I'm happy and will buy it.

ACTION ITEM: Would you please add hawkmoth's statement to the https://agilebits.com/store/licenses page? A good place would be in the Examples section, where you can distinguish between cases where someone needs to buy a license and when they don't. It will save others like me aggravation.

Thanks for listening.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

This is crystal clear, and I don't have to deduce what "requires" means.

While I certainly wouldn't object to a wording change, I do think you're being a little nitpicky. I can count on one hand the number of occasions I know of where "requiring a licence" does not equate to "purchasing a licence". All of those instances relate to Open Source software.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dougkramer ,

Thanks so much for the feedback here! We have been looking into how to improve our licensing and our website in general, and I'll pass your suggestions along to our team.

This discussion has been closed.