1Password for iOS 7? [If purchased, it is available via Updates > Purchased or Purchases]

lolajl
lolajl
Community Member
edited September 2014 in iOS

My husband has an iPhone 4 and we won't be updating to iPhone 6 until we have the financial resources to do so. He tried to download 1Password but was told that he would need iOS 8. Is this app indeed no longer available for iOS 7?

Comments

• Hi @lolajl,

If you purchased 1Password 4, it is available to download via the Update > Purchased tab in your App Store app on the iPhone. When you get to the Purchased tab, scroll down the top to get the search bar and search for 1Password. Tap on the cloud icon next to 1Password to download it.

If you didn't buy 1Password 4, unfortunately, there is no way to get 1Password at the moment unless you use a different device to purchase 1Password 5 with, it should then give you the iOS 7 compatible update on the iPhone 4 from the Update > Purchased tab.

• lolajl
    lolajl
    Community Member

Well, then, I guess my husband will have to use a competitor's password manager product for his iPhone, since he has NOT purchased 1Password 4 (that I have on my phone/iPad). Thank you for your answer.

• @lolajl‌

You may be able to accomplish the same thing by logging into his device with your Apple ID.

Thanks!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@MikeT or @bwoodruff—

I am about to school an older gentleman on password management. If he “purchases” 1Password in iTunes on his Mac can he then use the Update > Purchased trick to put it on his iPhone 4? I am wondering whether there might be a problem on account of the fact that 1P5/iOS is freemium whereas 1P4/iOS was a paid app. (He would also need 1Password 3 for his old 17" iMac, which I imagine can still be purchased on the website.)

• @benfdc‌

Reports are that unless you had previously purchased 1Password 4 for iOS you will be unable to download it.

A 1Password 3 for Mac license is included with any 1Password 4 for Mac purchases.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@bwoodruff—

Thanks for confirming what I believed to be the case w/r/t 1P/Mac.

Back to iOS. Are you questioning @MikeT’s answer in #2? If not, what is the distinction? Is #2 correct if and only if one makes the in-app purchase in 1P/5 to upgrade to the Pro version?

• @benfdc‌

The reports I'm hearing from customers do seem to conflict with our previous assumption.

It does seem 1Password 4 for iOS must've been previously purchased in order to download it.

Thanks.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited September 2014

Thanks, @bwoodruff. I hope that AgileBits is looking into work-arounds for legit users (that is, work-arounds which do not violate the EULA). Would it be possible for AgileBits to sell special license codes via the website that, when "redeemed" in the iOS App Store app, will download 1P4?

• Unfortunately that is not currently possible with the options presented to us in the App Store. The only option the App Store gives us is to allow folks who had purchased the previous version to continue to download that version. We have enabled that option.

Even our own employees who did not previously have 1Password 4 for iOS cannot get it.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification, Ben.

—Ben

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

Do the App Store rules allow AgileBits to sell a new product that is not iOS 8-compatible? If so, perhaps it would be possible to release a version of 1Password for separate purchase for older iPhones and first-gen iPads.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @benfdc‌

I'm glad Ben's answer helped! We're always here if you have further questions or concerns ... but you probably know that by now. ;)

• lolajl
    lolajl
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation of how it works on the App Store. Hopefully within 6 months we'll be able to upgrade to iPhone 6 and then he will be able to purchase 1Password for his phone.

• Thanks for the update, @lolajl‌

@benfdc‌ I'm honestly not sure about the technical ability to do that, but from a customer support perspective it would be a nightmare.

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member

@bwoodruff—

Understood.

It would be nice if there were a way to give your user base some advance notice about these things. Something along the lines of:

Last chance to purchase 1Password for older iPhones and iPads.

• Thanks for the feedback. :)

• gerbenvandijk
    gerbenvandijk
    Community Member

I have to say that I'm also pretty frustrated about this. I own a family pack, and had an old iphone4 that my spouse had been using for a while, so I decided to set the phone up correctly with her own icloud data etc. So I had set it all up; and as expected I had to redownload all apps etc.

The fact that before doing this - I had a phone running 1password and could access all my data; and half an hour later not being able to login to anything without my laptop next to my phone (!) boggled my mind. Figuring out that the app can't be purchased anymore on ios7 a forum post is quite a disappointment.

Any app should support the previous major OS version, and If not then it should have been way better communicated to existing customers before users are past the point of no return (refund, anyone?).

I also tried setting up family sharing, but this also did not give me the ability to restore a purchase from the main account onto the other one. Seems like a good way of getting this mess sorted out 8-)

• gerbenvandijk
    gerbenvandijk
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Allright, while I still think that it is not communicated clearly enough - it seems to be possible to get it installed on your ios7 device.

I do not know in what order it all turned out like this, but these are the steps i took:

• Opened itunes on my spouses mac, went to the purchased section on the itunes store. Next to the main title of the page ("purchases" or so, mine is in Dutch) is a dropdown containing all the members of the family you have set-up with family sharing. Selected the main account of the family there.
    • On the same page, went to apps (right top), selected "all" from the dropdown in the middle, and searched for 1password in the list - looked like I could download it from there but didn't seem to work.
    • After doing this, I went and connected the iphone to the computer, and looked for 1password in the app store's purchased section, wasn't in there.
    • Somehow for me the download didnt work before, but I noticed me the option to download it from the itunes store (on her mac) so I went ahead and downloaded it on there. I navigated to the iphone on itunes on the mac, and went to the apps section there. Marked 1password for installation, and applied settings. It started downloading it, but then game me the dreaded this app doesn't work on ios7 notice.
    • I opened the purchased section on the app store on the iphone; and all of a sudden 1password was in there. I hit it and I got the notice that I could only download an older version - jay!

Again, I'm not sure what exactly did it (i've tried all of this a couple of times) - but I managed in the end. So - if you want to install a previously purchased 1password, on an older iphone, on another icloud account - setup family sharing and click everything related to it - it somehow will work :pirate:

• Hi,

Until Apple allows Family Sharing to work with in-app purchases, it will not be possible to provide it in the new version. But thanks for your feedback regarding OS version support. Every time a new OS comes out, every software vendor has to make a decision on whether their customers want backward OS compatibility or take advantages of new features in the OS. Sometimes it's possible to do both, but other times it's not. We certainly consider it every year when a new iOS version is announced.

• gerbenvandijk
    gerbenvandijk
    Community Member

At the very least - I would expect it to be possible to access my passwords on ios7.

I managed to get it installed following the steps above; on an apple account that did not have 1password on there before.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gerbenvandijk,

I'm happy you were able to get 1Password 4 installed on your iOS 7 device, although I'm sorry you had trouble figuring out how to do it. Family sharing isn't necessary for that, so perhaps that made it more confusing? In case you're curious, we have steps to install 1Password 4 on iOS 7 in this knowledgebase article.

I would expect it to be possible to access my passwords on ios7.

Do you mean you're unable to sync your 1Password data from another device? That should only be a problem if you're trying to use iCloud sync between 1Password 4 and 1Password 5 (it won't work because version 5 uses Apple's new CloudKit technology for iCloud sync, which unfortunately isn't backwards-compatible with the previous iCloud sync). But you can use Dropbox sync, or if you use 1Password for Mac or Windows, you can use Wi-Fi sync. If you're having trouble syncing your 1Password data, please let us know and we'll be happy to help with that. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.