Shared 2ndary vault not sharing

tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

Finally decided to create 2ndary vault to share with DH. Set it up on my MBP, 1PW (MAS) no problem. My DropBox shows the title "DHsharedvault" - for the agilekeychain and it has a green check next to it.

DH's Dropbox (his iMac - also MAS) doesn't show the shared vault at all. I've been flailing about all day and probably have totally messed things up now - have somehow even gotten into "iPW anywhere" which I don't want.

just want to share this 2nd vault with DH on his iMac. I have gone to your support site, read the instructions, I think have followed correctly but still no joy. His DB does not show the "DHsharedvault" or the .agilebitskeychain. When setting up the vault, I set up this new vault to sync with DB, the primary syncs with iCloud as instructed. No problem there.

I did read something about the 2 of us having to be on the same DB account - does that mean we should be using the same e-mail address and/or password for Dropbox in order to make this work?

Am so confused.....can use some really simple guidance for help here....

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12,

So the green tick means the folder is currently syncing to your Dropbox account. If you were to log into the Dropbox website you should see the folder plus whatever is inside it. Now, if you and DH are sharing a single Dropbox account, which you can do if you want, then the folder should be present on his iMac too if you have also set up Dropbox on the iMac. So if both of you have Dropbox installed and both are using the one Dropbox account and only you can see the DHsharedvault folder then yes, we do have a problem.

Now if you each have your own Dropbox account there is one more step to do. Having added the folder to Dropbox you now need to go through the steps to share the folder between the two Dropbox accounts. Here's a link to Dropbox's article on How do I share folders with other people? That should help I believe and you only need to do this once.

If you're still having problems do please let us know.

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

no joy - still no sync from 2ndary vault to DH's drop box. Will try to get rid of 1P

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

sorry, hit "send" before I finished my comment. I'm going to try to remove 1PW Anywhere since I don't really know what I did to get it. I will then try to start the whole process again to sync from my 2ndary vault (it does show in MY Dropbox) to Dh's iMac.....I'm afraid I tried so many things yesterday that I really gummed things up. Will try to find "square one" :-(

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Just found More info from MY DropBox - when I click on this in DB: "vault.agilekey.chain",
    I get the message "This file is in use. The file is already being synced with the "shared.vault.vault"
    - does anyone have any idea what I've done or how to fix it? :-(
    I simply want to sync my secondary vault (created yesterday) in order to share with DH's (1PW on his iMac) from my Dropbox to his and then to his 1PW. It shouldn't be this difficult..... Note: my primary vault is syncd via iCloud NOT DropBox. Help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12,

I'm sorry you're having trouble sharing a secondary vault with DH!

Before getting into some troubleshooting, I wanted to clear up a couple things to avoid further confusion:

I'm going to try to remove 1PW Anywhere since I don't really know what I did to get it.

1PasswordAnywhere is a feature that allows you to view your 1Password vault from your account on dropbox.com from a web browser. That feature is available when you sync a 1Password vault with Dropbox, but you don't have to use 1PasswordAnywhere if you don't want to. It doesn't have anything to do with sharing your vault, so you don't need to worry about 1PasswordAnywhere.

when I click on this in DB: "vault.agilekey.chain",
    I get the message "This file is in use. The file is already being synced with the "shared.vault.vault"

• does anyone have any idea what I've done or how to fix it?

Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong, this is actually correct behavior. Normally, when you double-click a .agilekeychain file, 1Password will prompt you to create a new vault from that keychain (this is how DH will add the shared vault on his Mac once he has access to it). However, that vault already exists in 1Password on your Mac and syncs with that .agilekeychain file, which is why 1Password gives you that message when you double-click it. In other words, you don't need to double-click that keychain file.

Now, to get back to the problem:

I simply want to sync my secondary vault (created yesterday) in order to share with DH's (1PW on his iMac) from my Dropbox to his and then to his 1PW.

It sounds like you've already done everything correctly in 1Password: you created a secondary vault, and you set up Dropbox sync for that vault. The keychain file for that vault in Dropbox is fine. The problem is that the keychain file isn't showing up in DH's Dropbox account. Basically, that means either you haven't correctly shared that vault with DH's Dropbox account, or Dropbox is not working correctly to sync/share that keychain file with DH.

So let's start by making sure you've shared the vault correctly. To share the vault/keychain file with another Dropbox account, you need to share the folder that contains the keychain file. We have steps to do that in this User Guide article. You can find more information about sharing a folder in Dropbox in this Dropbox Help Center article.

If you've correctly shared it with DH, that folder (and the keychain file it contains) should show up in DH's Dropbox account, and should sync to his Dropbox folder on his Mac. If so, he simply needs to double-click that keychain file on his Mac and 1Password will prompt him to add it as a secondary vault.

However, if you've correctly shared it with DH but it doesn't show up in his Dropbox account/folder, you can try creating another folder in your Dropbox folder, adding a random file to that folder, and sharing that folder with DH. If that doesn't work either, there's a problem with Dropbox.

Please let us know how it all goes up to this point, and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

that did it, Drew - I just didn't recognize that I had done it correctly - this time when I went to DH's DB file it was there, I clicked on the icon and it showed there was a shared vault, used the same password for each (is that correct?) anbd now he has the secondary vault too - Hooray!!!!!! Many thanks for all your help and patience - all of you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12 ,

Whoo! I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out - thanks for letting us know!

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Well, now you've brought up an interesting question in my mind - (sorry to be such a pest). Now that I (kind of) understand about 1PW Anywhere, if I took a trip out of the U.S. I could use it to access my passwords, right? But, in order to do utilize that, I would have to sync with DropBox?

My primary 1PW vault syncs with iCloud (its the MAS version).
    So I would have to change the sync process for the primary vault too? And then both vaults would sync with DropBox and I could access both of them when traveling?????

That's an interesting thought - I guess when I'm traveling I couldn't use 1PW because I couldn't access the iCloud???? That's another question...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12,

You're certainly not a pest. We're here to help you with all kinds of questions ... particularly interesting ones!

if I took a trip out of the U.S. I could use it to access my passwords, right? But, in order to do utilize that, I would have to sync with DropBox?

1PasswordAnywhere was designed to work within Dropbox's special ecosystem, so to speak, so it will not work with iCloud. We have instructions on how to switch to Dropbox sync if you do want to change the syncing of your primary vault for any exotic travels that you have planned!

I guess when I'm traveling I couldn't use 1PW because I couldn't access the iCloud???? That's another question...

It sounds like you're travelling without your computers, is that correct? I notice that we haven't talked about mobile devices in the previous thread. If you have an iOS or an Android device, we have 1Password available as a free download on both platforms (with some premium features available as an in-app purchase.) That would give you access to your 1Password data on your device, wherever you should roam. ;)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

I have 1PW (purchased) on my iPhone - don't like to take a computer too (even a MBPro ) phone is more convenient, smaller etc....

So whether or not I could access my iCloud while traveling out of the country, I don't know? Would I be more likely to access my 1PW via the iCloud or DropBox or vice versa?

So, if your answer is "easier/more available" to utilize DropBox - then I would probably be best changing my 1PW sync to Dropbox????

And, I would have to enable 1PW Anywhere (when out of the country) to be able to do this, right? (never a simple 1 part question with me, is it Megan?)

• Hi @tuni12,

If you have 1Password for iOS on your iPhone, then you'll have full access to all of your data while traveling regardless of which sync method you use. 1PasswordAnywhere is primarily for times where you don't have access to any computers or phones or iPads that have the actual 1Password app on them. When syncing in 1Password, the device itself always has a full copy of all of your data. You don't need an internet connection available to use it.

I think you could stick with iCloud, unless you envision yourself without your computer or your phone.

I hope this helps.

Rick

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

ok - I'll stay with iCloud sync on iOS for my primary vault...the secondary vault now syncs with DropBox however I also have that info on the primary vault. The secondary was just to share with DH so he could access specific info. thx

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, @tuni12! If you have more questions, we'll be happy to answer them. :)

This discussion has been closed.