Typing too fast when using search via browser extension menu gives erroneous result

When pressing ALT + backslash in e.g. Chrome and typing to search for an account it sometimes misses several letters when building the search result. E.g. typing in 'cloud ' searches for 'clod' thus not displaying what I wanted to look for.

It seems this problem is getting worse when I get more and more logins, currently I have 134 Logins and still increasing. I guess the extension or 1Password cannot keep up with the typing rate because it is still searching and building results. Maybe caching in memory also has to do something with it because the second, third, etc time it can keep up with my typing for the same word.

Comments

• It also has something to do with decrypting your data/information on the fly. However this has a lot to do with the performance of your machine.

For example: I run a Windows 8.1 virtual machine off of a very fast USB3.0 flash drive quite often for testing. There, and on PCs with harddrives, I sometimes experience this issue. Running Windows 8.1 on a SSD-equipped, regular PC, this never occurs for me.

I hope this helps!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It also has something to do with decrypting your data/information on the fly. However this has a lot to do with the performance of your machine.

With the agilekeychain format, as I understand it, the title and url are unencrypted so why would there be a decryption related delay. For opvault it would be understandable but not for agilekeychain.

• That is correct Richard, in the case of an .agilekeychain it's most likely related to the responsive of the UI on the user's machine.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

With the agilekeychain format, as I understand it, the title and url are unencrypted so why would there be a decryption related delay.

@RichardPayne Multiple URLs are encrypted. We do not decrypt them unless "Lenient URL matching" is ON.

@admxnl Here is something you can try:

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Turn ON this setting: Help > Advanced > Tune 1Password for max performance
  • admxnl
    admxnl
    Community Member

I've noticed this disables 'Lenient URL matching', maybe this has to do something with this delay?

I remember I needed to enable this option to match some URL's but will test for a while with this disabled.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@svondutch frankly, this is just an example of why the current search implementation is a bit of a kludge. The search retrieval code should not be running on the UI thread.

• admxnl
    admxnl
    Community Member

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/35362/1password-4-does-not-match-filter-subdomains#latest

Found my previous post about 'Lenient URL matching', this gave problems for some logins with subdomains. Enabling this option solved this problem for us. I will still try without this option to see if performance improves.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I've noticed this disables 'Lenient URL matching', maybe this has to do something with this delay?

@admxnl Correct. Decrypting every item slows the 1Password popup menu down. This is why we won't do this unless "Lenient URL matching" is ON.

This discussion has been closed.