Attachment not viewable on iPhone 6+, Wi-Fi sync

Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Attachment problems in 5.1.1.

Comments

• nefuchs
    nefuchs
    Community Member

MacBook Pro Retina, OS X 10.10.2, 1Password 5.1 (MacApp Store)
    iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3 , 1Password 5.2
    iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3, 1Password 5.2

I synchronise my single 1Password vault between the three devices via WiFi, and experience a variation of the problems desribed above.

I attached a screen-shot to a secure note on the MacBook where the screen-shot is properly displayed. Also on the iPhone 5 the screen-shot is properly displayed. However, on the iPhone 6 Plus there is only the name of the screen-shot, but no icon. When I click on this name or on the empty space of the icon the screenshot is not displayed properly. In the window that opens I only see its name, type and size.

I have the impression – but do not want to test this before I get your feedback – that attaching screen-shots to secure notes did not pose any problem when I synchronised via Dropbox.

• nefuchs
    nefuchs
    Community Member

Further to my message of 10 minutes ago.

I couldn't resist and switched back to DropBox synchronisation. Now it works : screen-shot attachments are displayed properly on all three devices.

This is a little disappointing since I'd prefer to synchronise via the much faster WiFi.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nefuchs ,

I split your post into its own thread so we can focus better on the issue that you're reporting.

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed report! I am glad to hear that you were able to get everything synced up, but I'd like to get a better idea of if there's a consistent problem here, or if perhaps the attachment hadn't fully downloaded when you tried to view it.

To that end, let's switch back to Wi-Fi sync, and create a new entry on your Mac, with a similarly sized attachment. If you re-create your steps above - does the attachment still not display on your iPhone 6+?

• nefuchs
    nefuchs
    Community Member

Hi Megan

Ok, I switched back to WiFi synchronisation, created a fake secure note, added fake notes and then attached a fake screen-shot.

The fake secure note was fully displayed – including the screen-shot attachment – on all three devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 Plus).

Next, I added the new fake screen-shot as attachment to the original secure note – in addition to the screen-shot I had added before and that could only be displayed when I had switched to DropBox synchronisation – and now I had the same situation as before, namely that on the iPhone 5 both attachments could be displayed, while on the iPhone 6 Plus only the old attachment was displayed while the new one was just a file name.

Thus it looks as if there is something fishy with the original secure note.

For the time being I stay with WiFi synchronisation.

Good night.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Hi @nefuchs ,

Thanks so much for testing that out for me! It sounds like there might be something wonky going on with that entry. We've been working on improving sync, Wi-Fi in particular lately, so we'd love to get a bit more information on where things got tangled up with that one entry.

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#mac4

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the Report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once the reports are generated, the 'fix' here will be to re-create that particular item (since it sounds like the item might have a few bit scrambled). If you don't mind, it could help to keep it around (just label it "old and busted" to keep it distinguishable from your new item) in case we need to take a close look while troubleshooting.

We really appreciate your assistance in tracking this down!

• nefuchs
    nefuchs
    Community Member

Megan

Sorry, but in this case I prefer not to cooperate since the faulty secure note contains highly sensitive information.

In the document "Sending a Diagnostics Report" AgileBits writes "We will use the information in the Diagnostics Report for nothing other than diagnosing the issues which you contacted us about.". It is not that I don't trust you, but I like to be on the safe side.

Here is what I did in the meantime:

• I continued to work with WiFi synchronisation
    • I created a new secure note into which I copied the information of the faulty secure note. There are no problems attaching a screen-shot to this new secure note, meaning that the screen-shot is correctly displayed on all three devices.
    • I retrieved the faulty secure note from 1Password's trash, and added a new screen-shot as attachment. Same problem as before: the attachment is not correctly displayed on the iPhone 6 Plus.
    • Thus the problem is indeed with the faulty secure note that I had created like all other secure notes via the menu File>New Secure Note.
    • I trashed again the faulty secure note.

Thanks for your help. Please excuse my failure to cooperate.

Norbert

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Norbert ( @nefuchs ),

Of course sending the Reports is completely up to you. The content of your Secure Note of course will not be included in the information that we get from the Report.

I'll tell you a bit more about what type of information is included in this Report, and why we request it. We go out of our way to remove as much sensitive data from the report as we can. For example, we get a system profile which includes processor type, amount of ram, but this request also returns the serial number of the computer. we remove the serial number before it gets entered into the report.

The only identifiable or even remotely sensitive information would be:

1) The username you use. If this contains your name (which we have from your email already) then we'd see that in the report
    2) The system.log, which I only get the last 4000 lines of, could contain some other slightly sensitive data, but most developers realize that the system log should not contain sensitive information. This is simply a possibility but it's extremely unlikely.
    3) The 1Password logs could contain sensitive information, but if they did they would be by sheer accident. We are very careful to make sure we are not logging sensitive information, however there was one point in the past that we logged something accidentally. It wasn't super serious but it was something we didn't want to log. We no longer log that information and make sure we don't do that in the future.

Now, that said, the rest of the report is really just overview information:

1) Dropbox path (not any files in Dropbox) - Could show listings of files, but none of their contents
    2) iCloud path (not any files in iCloud) - This shows listings of files, not their contents
    3) System information (less the serial number)
    4) Home folder path (again, no files)
    5) We gather information about Safari, Chrome, and Firefox (only important settings, whether they pass code signature verification, and the installed extensions)
    6) Installed applications (such as Firewalls, Security software, and other tools that have been known to interfere with 1Password. This is strictly whether they are installed or not and possible settings known to interfere with 1Password)
    7) 1Password settings (again, no sensitive info, just the settings you use as these can sometimes explain application behaviour)
    8) Running applications (this could be sensitive if you're working on a secret application that you want no one to know about as we'd see it this list. as a casual user, it's only going to tell us which applications are running. We use this only when #6 fails us as new applications are discovered regularly that interfere in some way.)
    9) Log files from 1Password (again, could contain sensitive info but it's really unlikely as we did a full review of this and found nothing to be worried about)
    10) System log (Could contain information about errors other applications are having. Extremely unlikely it would contain sensitive information)

What it does not contain:

1) Your master password. We do not log this anywhere and we do not store it anywhere. We will never ask you for it
    2) Your data. Again, we'll never ask you for your data file, or any data contained in it.

If you have specific concerns, please tell me and I'll explain in detail what we do and why. As a company that deals with security we take security seriously and I want to make sure you know what you're sending to us, but I also want you to know that we're not using this in any sort of malicious way. It's only to help you get things working, without it we're basically blind. It's comparable to asking a police officer to solve a crime without any evidence with which to solve it. The officer might stumble on the perpetrator of the crime, but it's extremely unlikely.

In any case, I'm glad to hear that you are sorted out. We would appreciate your help in figuring out where things went wrong so that we can fix things properly and avoid future occurrences, but I understand if you choose not to send in the Reports.

This discussion has been closed.