Can't paste password into iTunes

Case Mundy
Case Mundy
Community Member

Every time I go to download an app or do anything related to the iTunes store on my iPhone or iPad it asks for my password and it won't let me paste a copied password in the field. Is there a workaround or do I have to use 2 devices (one to see my long password and the other to do the logging in) every time I need to do something in iTunes, which is basically daily?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Case Mundy,

What happens when you try to paste a password when making a purchase in the iTunes Store? I just tried this on my iPhone and had no trouble pasting in the password field. The tricky part is that iOS won't let you switch to another app when that dialog is asking you for your Apple ID password, so you'll need to make sure you copy that from the 1Password app right before you initiate that purchase in the iTunes or App Store.

The other thing to keep in mind is that 1Password might be set to clear the clipboard after a certain amount of time. You can check that in the 1Password app by going to Settings > Security > Clear Clipboard. If the problem is that you aren't pasting the password before the clipboard is cleared, you can set that to a longer time period (or to "Never").

Does that help? If you're still having trouble pasting your password in the iTunes Store, please let us know and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• Case Mundy
    Case Mundy
    Community Member

Had my clipboard set to clear after 30 seconds. That must have been it. I've moved it up to 3 minutes.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Case Mundy, That's great to hear @Drew_AG helped discover the cause of that. It's a tricky one, I have mine set for 1 minute and I haven't bumped into many instances where I've been caught out with it being cleared. You can experiment with the time that works best for you. I do appreciate the feature though as otherwise I'd probably have my Apple ID password permanently stored in the clipboard - not ideal :wink:

This discussion has been closed.