Autologin and creation of 1password items - how do I make it work?

Options
Seeker
Seeker
Community Member

I have 1password, and it is great if I enter everything myself.

But how does the "automatically create an item", and "autologin" work correctly?

First, if I go to any site where I've had Firefox (Mac) ever save my username and password, 1password is quiet as a mouse, and never offers to make an item for me. Second, even if I use "Submit Login" and even click manually, it doesn't seem to do anything. And if I somehow do manage to get an item made, it never works.
(Do I have to delete all cookies or something to make the browser extension kick in?)

Let's even take this very discussion site. I registered, and 1password did offer to make an item. But it doesn't work (maybe because it goes to the register area vs. login?) So I delete the new not real useful item, and let 1password create a new agilebits item for me. but it doesn't work either!
I click on it and it takes me to this site, but I have to still login manually.

What am I missing here?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @seeker,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'm glad that you're enjoying 1Password so far. Let's see what we can do to get this a little bit more automatic, shall we?

First, if I go to any site where I've had Firefox (Mac) ever save my username and password, 1password is quiet as a mouse, and never offers to make an item for me.

Please make sure that you have 'Automatically ask to Save new Logins' selected in the Preferences > Browser section of 1Password's preferences.

Let's even take this very discussion site. I registered, and 1password did offer to make an item. But it doesn't work (maybe because it goes to the register area vs. login?) So I delete the new not real useful item, and let 1password create a new agilebits item for me. but it doesn't work either!

The main discussion page here has a pop-up log in pane, which 1Password is not able to fill automatically - simply because the log in fields do not exist for 1Password to fill until the 'sign in' button is clicked to bring up the pop-up. Please go to this alternate page and Save a New Login Manually. This should work a lot better for you!

In general, there are instructions in our User Guide that can help you get the hang of 1Password's browser extension:

Have a read through these pages, and please let me know where in the process 1Password is getting tangled up.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    Options

I have Automatically ask to Save new Logins selected.

I tried multiple things to get 1Password to generate a "save a new item", but to no avail - I typed in username/password myself vs. allowing autofill, and so on. It only appears to trigger if I had never been to the site before (like this one).

Second item - got it, but interesting you use a password/login methodology your own software doesn't support automatically - must do it manually.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I CAN make it work if I do the "Save Login Manually Cmd-N" bit. But that's not the question - why won't it come up automatically?

Oh, and you can only save these to the Primary Vault? No option to automatically put it in a different vault? (Yes, I know how to manually move/copy it myself)

So, again - my first sentence - as long as I "enter all this myself", I have no problems - but I'm having lots of issues with automatic generation of new items and where they are placed.

Oh, if I haven't stated already: Firefox, on a Mac 10.10.2

More testing:

Cmd-N itself brings up a new Firefox session, not Save New Login - a keystroke conflict? I haven't changed any defaults.

Using Amazon login as my test bed: [Amazon falls into the "used this site before" category]
    If I login with a known autofill name, no automatic popup.
    If I login with a known autofill name, and before logging in, use the "Save New Login" - there is NO save login box generated. Basically, I don't even know how to create a new item this way with this scenario. This happens whether I allow autofill, or type it in deliberately by hand.

If I login with a new account I haven't used on this computer before, there is no automatic popup.
    If I login with a new account I haven't used on this computer before, and use the Save New Login - there IS a new login box generated. But only by manually asking.

This is more or less the same at any site where I've "been before" - no automatic items offered, and none offered in some cases even with Cmd-N (using the menu)

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    Options

tl:dr?

I can't make the automatic item creation work in many cases in Firefox. I tend to know how to do these things.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Seeker,

Second item - got it, but interesting you use a password/login methodology your own software doesn't support automatically - must do it manually.

We use a hosted service for these forums, so we're not able to control the details (such as how the sign-in prompt is displayed.) There's a whole lot of good things about the forums here, so it doesn't seem reasonable to search for an alternative simply so auto-fill will behave better. ;)

It only appears to trigger if I had never been to the site before (like this one).

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. 1Password will not pop up and offer to save your details if you already have those details saved in 1Password. The 'Save new Login' pop-up is for data that is not in 1Password.

I CAN make it work if I do the "Save Login Manually Cmd-N" bit. But that's not the question - why won't it come up automatically?

Could you please provide a few websites where 1Password is failing to prompt you to save a new Login? I've tested a few sites just now, and I am getting the pop-up reliably. Here are the steps that I've taken:

• Go to Twitter.com
    • Enter bogus username and password (I'm using bogus information, because my existing accounts are already saved in 1Password)
    • Hit 'Enter' to submit the details
    • 1Password pops up and offers to save the details

The same is true for Facebook and Amazon.

I'd love to know the exact steps that you're taking so I can re-create them here.

Oh, and you can only save these to the Primary Vault? No option to automatically put it in a different vault? (Yes, I know how to manually move/copy it myself)

You can change which vault a Login is saved to by using the keyboard shortcut for the vault: ⌘# ( Command-'vault number' ), or clicking on the vault icon in the 'Save new Login' dialogue box.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Again - tl:dr - this is about userids stored as cookies/autofill/saved passwords in Firefox, not new ones.

Ok, am continuing my research, and will try to be clearer.

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. 1Password will not pop up and offer to save your details if you already have those details saved in 1Password. The 'Save new Login' pop-up is for data that is not in 1Password.

I understand this. What I am testing does not exist in 1Password.

Could you please provide a few websites where 1Password is failing to prompt you to save a new Login? I've tested a few sites just now, and I am getting the pop-up reliably. Here are the steps that I've taken:
    Go to Twitter.com
    Enter bogus username and password (I'm using bogus information, because my existing accounts are already saved in 1Password)
    The same is true for Facebook and Amazon.

I'd love to know the exact steps that you're taking so I can re-create them heres.

What you do will work every time, I agree. If you reread my messages, it is logins that exist as saved passwords or autofills or cookies (or whatever it is) in Firefox that don't work. What you are doing is creating brand new stuff, and that's not the topic at hand.

Based on later post: Some of the quoted text below is inaccurate once you turn off "remember passwords" in firefox. The point is that this info is already in my Firefox.

So, let's stick to Facebook and Amazon, since that's where I'm testing. Create or use a real login, that is NOT in 1Password, and Firefox will come up with "save this password for future use" or something like that. [Note: I turned this off at some point, but the problem remains]

Given for YOU, this will be brand new, 1Password will probably also offer to create an item. SAY NO. (Actually, you can probably do bogus as long as you follow these steps, the point is to get SOMETHING into Firefox (saved password, autofill, something...)

From that point forward, you will not be offered by 1Password to create a login. You might say "well, I DID say no to 1Password!"___

But for me, I NEVER GOT OFFERED a new item, because for me the "Firefox saved info" already existed. So, now as I move to 1Password, I cannot get 1Password to create logins automatically. As I stated in the very first line of this thread, "if I do it manually, it's ok".

What compounds this is I cannot even use "Create New Login" - that won't pop up an offer either.
    And to even go further - I have deleted the saved password, deleted the cookies, exited Firefox, and 1Password will STILL not create an item. At this moment, I suspect autofill, because, even when I type userid in by hand, Firefox suggests the full login userid. But that's why I'm asking here - I shouldn't have to spend hours trying to figure this out.

You can change which vault a Login is saved to by clicking on the vault icon in the 'Save new Login' dialogue box.

Ok. Got it! Wouldn't have thought to click the icon, especially given the dialog box acts as if only Primary exists.

• Ben
    Options

it is logins that exist as saved passwords or autofills or cookies (or whatever it is) in Firefox that don't work

As part of our user guide we explain that we recommend disabling your browser's auto-fill when using 1Password:

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

bwoodruff, I agree, and have disabled NEW creation of passwords. (I do realize, however, that my statement of "do you want to save this password" by Facebook in my message above would belie that - I've changed a few things over the hours I've worked on this)

That said, I also was following this:

Note: You might not want to clear the list of saved passwords in your browser until you’ve created Logins in 1Password for the corresponding sites.

Ok, problem still not solved. I am deleting passwords that remain in the list individually (as the note says, I don't want to wipe them all if I can avoid it), but that doesn't help either. I FINALLY got one of the ids in facebook to trigger the login prompt - so it is fixable, but with all I'm trying to do, I'm in the "too many things changing at the same time to realize what finally worked for one item".

I do have one question: I found one item indeed in 1password from an import - but it was in a vault called - "Old Stuff to move around" - does 1Password search across multiple vaults to decide whether to pop up the "Save Login" - you can't search across Vaults, so was wondering. Again, this is just more detective work. Other than this one item, most of the things I'm testing are not in 1Password at all.

PS - turning off "save passwords" in Firefox not disable autofill, so wondering if that may be where the problem resides. I have had many theories over the last couple days.

At this point, it probably would have been easier to do it all manually. Sigh.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Ok, now I strongly suspect this. (Which, Megan, makes you correct)

I do have one question: I found one item indeed in 1password from an import - but it was in a vault called - "Old Stuff to move around" - does 1Password search across multiple vaults to decide whether to pop up the "Save Login" - you can't search across Vaults, so was wondering. Again, this is just more detective work. Other than this one item, most of the things I'm testing are not in 1Password at all.

I found a bunch of ids buried in my wife's similar "Old stuff" import vault, and when I carefully went through and deleted all of one facebook item, 1Password offered to create a Login id for me. Could this be it? Seems like it.

If so - strange that 1Password searches across all vaults to determine "create Login" but doesn't search across all vaults to find items. I mean, I understand the logic not to put duplicates in the Primary, but given that, is there a way to search/find an item in any vault vs. "knowing" where they are and picking the correct vault?

Did I miss this in the documentation as to level of searching for items?
    Now that I think I understand, I guess I'm asking for a Cmd-0 option to search all vaults, given it appears 1Password already does this in deciding whether to pop up the create Login window.

Guess if I want automatic logins created, I have to delete the "old stuff" vaults, or disengage them somehow. Right?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Seeker,

It's taken a while to get to the source of your issue for which I apologise although I hope you can see why it took a while given the root of the cause.

I've created a bug report based on your findings which I too can reproduce. The decision to ask if a login should be saved is currently based on the URL and password while you would expect it to be based on the username/login ID too. This behaviour is inconsistent with how you would expect it to work.

So thank you for continuing to post and drawing our attention to this.

ref: OPX-845

The ability to search all vaults is something a good few users would like to see so I'm going to add your voice to the feature request. At the moment there isn't a way to search multiple vaults but if you open the main 1Password window and perform a search on your Primary vault, quickly switching to each secondary vault in turn will perform the same search without any additional input from you. For example, knowing the password is what is stopping the 1Password Save Login window from popping up you could searching your primary vault for the password in question. It won't return any results as we don't search the password field by default. First click the Expand Search to All Fields button in the Item List section of the window. Then use ⌘2...⌘9 to search each secondary vault in turn in at least a relatively quick manner. This won't work if you try searching from 1Password mini and it's more a workaround until we get global search.

ref: OPM-1644

As for your "Old Stuff to move around" vault. It would seem you have two options that I see at the moment.

1. Delete the vault (obviously ensuring you still have access should you need it later). This would allow you to save Login items as you've discovered.
    2. Keep the vault and if you find a site where you're not asked you can search for either the password or URL in each vault until you find the culprit. It might also prove a good time to change the password possibly?

Neither solution is ideal obviously. I've submitted the bug report so hopefully we'll get some form of resolution there. I do apologise your introduction to 1Password has had a couple of bumps in the path but hopefully once it settles down you will see just how useful it can be in helping you stay secure.

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for submitting the bug report, and adding my "multiple vault search" vote.

Thanks also for the workarounds, I'll think about which one(s) will best enable me to both incorporate old stuff, and create new/redone stuff. As you correctly surmise, a lot of my passwords (for different login ids) are indeed the same, that's one of the reasons I decided to move to 1Password, so that it would be easy to manage different passwords.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hopefully once you've had a little time to get everything sorted @Seeker you'll see the advantages of 1Password. Now reusing your password is a common occurrence but at least you've made the transition from knowing it leaves you vulnerable to actively doing something about it :smile:

I started with strong, unique passwords and then upped my game a little once spam started annoying me. Now each site gets a unique email address too so if I start seeing spam one very particular site will receive a mouthful of abuse. Of course this is most easily done if you register a domain and are will to take control of your email so not for everybody. Still, 1Password is the perfect companion as I can recorded who uses which address and when I make up new ones I check my vault to see if it's already present.

So I hope 1Password runs smoothly for you but if it doesn't you know where we are and we'll do our best to help. Once again, thank you for highlighting that behaviour which I would have never noticed based on my own vault so cheers :smile:

This discussion has been closed.