Office Scenario

Options

We have three computers with three unique users total. I understand that we must all buy a license and that is fine. The question I can't seem to find an answer to is that we are all using pretty much the same sites and some of them need/require frequent password updates. So if we each have a unique 1Password "account" and one of us goes to a site and updates the password, will it automatically update the other two people's 1Password accounts as well? I need to figure this out before I buy.

Comments

• This scanario is best solved by using 1Password's support for multiple vaults.

Essentially 1Password 4 for Windows lets you access and manage a database—which we call a 'vault'—that is independent from the actual application and can be shared with other people.
    This is good for you because in 1Password you can switch between multiple vaults.

A likely scenario would be that every person in the three-person team can have a personal/work vault that they use to store information only relevant to themselves and the three of you can have one additional vault that you share using Dropbox for example.
    Each person will have access to that vault and changes made by one person will show up for the others once they open that shared vault again.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers!

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

Does the shared vault have to be on dropbox or can it be stored on a shared drive on our own network?

• Hi @jaylundgreen,

It does not have to be in your Dropbox folder, you always have the power of choosing where your vault is stored in.

However, we do not recommend storing these vaults directly on a network drive. The reason Dropbox is more solid in terms of syncing is because it doesn't work on the files directly, it stores a copy in its local Dropbox folder and then sync from there. If you put it on a network drive, there's no local copy 1Password works on, it will be working on a single copy from the network drives, which is not always stable. That's why we cannot recommend this setup and recommend Dropbox instead. We are looking into better solutions that works better for office setups like yours in the future but for now, Dropbox is your best option if you can use it.

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

Sp just to be clear. Dropbox needs to be installed on each machine and signed into the same dropbox account/ID? The set 1Password to store the vault in dropbox?

• Hi @jaylundgreen,

Dropbox needs to be installed on each machine and signed into the same dropbox account/ID?

No, you do not have to use the same Dropbox account, we don't recommend you reuse the same credentials. Each person in your office will have to set up their own Dropbox account and then share the same Dropbox folder with each other. You then set 1Password to open the vault file from that shared Dropbox folder.

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

So, I have tested and it isn't working. I installed dropbox on my computer, moved the vault there as well as the backup directory to there. I Installed dropbox on a second computer in the office and signed into the same account. Immediately the 1password files transferred to the second computer's local dropbox folder. I then installed 1password on the second computer and upon install had it restore from back up from the dropbox backup. The vault was then the same on the new computer. Awesome! However. I went back to my computer, changed a password to one of the sites we visit with the same login info, had 1password update that site's info, then went back to the second computer, tried to go to that site and it failed. Am I doing something wrong?

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

I will try that subtle change and let you know what I get.

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

Boom! It's working just like you described. That seals the deal. Thanks so much.

• You're welcome, I'm glad everything's working now.

If we could be of further assistance, reach out to us here.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

moved the vault there as well as the backup directory to there

@jaylundgreen One more thing. Please do not store your 1Password backups in your Dropbox. Yes you can store your 1Password data in your Dropbox, but you should store your 1Password backups elsewhere. They can quickly fill up your Dropbox.

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

I am not too worried about that. We won't be using Dropbox for anything besides 1Password, plus they are only 200 kb per backup and we have it set to 50 backups max. But I appreciate the heads up. I will watch for it becoming a problem.

• jaylundgreen
    jaylundgreen
    Community Member
    Options

So set each computer to backup to a unique location?

• That would be a smart move, because this will essentially give you multiple redundancies of backup files in case anything goes wrong.

• Yep, @brenty is correct. One of the most common rules for backups is the 2-1 rule, two local copies of your backups and one remote. You could put a copy on your local drive, one on external drive, and one copy on a trusted backup provider. Some users do this by automatically syncing the external drive to the remote backup service, so that can fit two rules at once.

This discussion has been closed.