iCloud *and* Dropbox?

skomae
skomae
Community Member

Before this latest revision (and graphical overhaul) I was able to synch my password store to both iCloud and Dropbox at the same time. This was a great feature to me, as it meant all my iDevices could easily pick up my password store but I could still access it when I was on another (not mine) computer.

Now that I am looking to purchase 1Password for Windows, being able to again synch both iCloud and Dropbox at the same time would be fantastic. On that note, I understand that there could exist merge conflicts, but simply being able to denote one as primary or canonical and the other as a secondary or backup would probably be easy to implement. Any chance of this?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I was not aware that you could sync to two different clouds, but in any case, Apple doesn't allow iCloud for syncing by Windows software. In fact, they only permit that use for software that is sold directly by Apple from one of their app stores.

You could switch entirely to Dropbox and cover all your bases, though. You do not need to use iCloud in order to include your iOS devices in your solution. For example, I use Dropbox exclusively for a Mac, iPhone and iPad.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skomae,

There might be some confusion here, because it has never been possible to sync a vault simultaneously with iCloud and Dropbox in the Mac version of 1Password. (At one point, this was possible in early releases of 1Password 4 for iOS, but that was changed in version 4.5 for iOS because it could cause some problems.)

Is it possible you had multiple vaults in 1Password, and each vault used a different sync option? It's certainly possible to sync the Primary vault with iCloud, and a secondary vault with Dropbox. (Please note that you must have the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac in order to use iCloud sync.)

As hawkmoth mentioned, the Windows version of 1Password doesn't have iCloud sync. This is because 1Password 5 for Mac and iOS use Apple's new CloudKit technology for iCloud sync, and unfortunately CloudKit is not available on Windows. However, you can use Dropbox sync in 1Password for Mac, iOS, and Windows. Dropbox sync is easy to set up, and also gives you access to the 1PasswordAnywhere feature.

Sorry for any confusion about that! Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know.

• skomae
    skomae
    Community Member

@Drew_AG

Perhaps I was thinking about it being supported in iOS. The end result was the same, though. I had both Dropbox and iCloud attached to my 1Password, which was awesome. I don't normally have Dropbox installed on any of my machines, so I liked just relying on the internal iCloud stuff.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skomae,

In 1Password for iOS, you don't actually need to have the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device. However, you're correct that you need to have Dropbox installed on Mac or Windows in order for those versions of 1Password to sync with Dropbox. But although that takes a few extra steps than iCloud sync does, once you install Dropbox and set it up with 1Password, you shouldn't need to worry about it again (aside from installing it on another new computer/device, of course).

If you need any help setting up sync in 1Password on any of your devices, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.