1PasswordAnywhere without using Dropbox?

I would like to be able to use 1PasswordAnywhere at work on Windows devices.

The challenge is that our corporate policies exclude using Dropbox or any other type of cloud sync service. So, my plan was to use a thumb drive to house the html file to use with 1PasswordAnywhere at work. I know I need to get the html file first though.

At home, I'm using Mac and IOS devices that are syncing via iCloud, so I have some questions.

1) Are there any negatives to temporarily switching from iCloud to folder sync on one desktop machine, create the files in the designated folder, obtain the html file, then switch the desktop device back to iCloud syncing?

2) Would it be OK to leave the **other **devices on iCloud sync during this time, or would I need to disable all then re-enable all?

3) Anything other negative outcome here that I haven't asked about? I realize that I will periodically need to refresh the html file, but anything else?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Switching to Dropbox on all your devices is probably the best solution. At your work you can open the Dropbox website (no need to actually install Dropbox) and navigate to 1PasswordAnywhere.

• Alex161
    Alex161
    Community Member
    edited June 2014

Sounds like you are able to sync the iPad and Windows, as I was recently. I am not very knowledgable myself, but have learned that if both Windows and the iPad are linked to Wi-Fi, they will chat to each other very quickly.

Try opening up iPad then 1Password in the iPad and enter something, or edit something. Then close the iPad and look at 1Password in your PC and the edited or newly entered info should be on your 1Password/PC almost immediately. If that's not the case, then someone else need to offer help. Good luck
    Alex

• landcruisers
    landcruisers
    Community Member

I was really hoping for a solution outside of Dropbox. At work our content filters prevent us from even visiting the Dropbox website. Thanks svondutch for the suggestion though. Alex161, I've never actually used the Windows version yet. I'm new to 1Password, so I was looking for a way to be able to use it on our Windows platforms at work.

Are there any risks associated with switching the sync methods then switching back? I'd need to do this with some frequency to update the html file on the thumb drive.

• MikeT
    edited June 2014

Hi @landcruisers,

We generally do not recommend constantly switching the sync services like that as you can get it out of sync with mixed up data or create unintentional duplicates.

While we do have an extensive system in place to prevent them, it may slip through. When you disable the sync and re-enable, every item has to be checked and merged in if it is slightly different and it'd do this on all devices and computers.

If you keep creating backups before switching sync, you should be okay to do this.

1. When disabling the iCloud on the Mac only, don't let 1Password delete the data on the iCloud, leave it be. You do not need to disable it on the iOS devices if you just want to grab the agilekeychain file with its HTML file. After that, you can switch it back to iCloud without any issues.
    2. Yes, it'll be okay to leave the iOS devices syncing to iCloud. You do not need to disable the sync.
    3. I already mentioned above that you might see unintentional duplicates and mixed up data like newer changes may be replaced with older changes. As long as you create backups before doing this, you'd be okay.

We do plan to find a way to embed 1PasswordAnywhere for the iCloud sync, especially as the new iCloud Drive is coming out later this year on Yosemite/iOS 8.

• landcruisers
    landcruisers
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT‌, that's what I was hoping to hear. In reality, I would probably only go through this process about once a quarter. I was also thinking that some of the iCloud functionality would allow this to occur more seamlessly in the future. Thanks for your feedback and also the items I need to be mindful of with this workaround process. Greatly appreciated.

• You're absolutely welcome, I'm glad it is what you needed.

• alan2461
    alan2461
    Community Member

I have the same question as the OP, but I am not following the answer.

I am not allowed to use dropbox on my Windows PC at my job.

I do currently use 1password on my iPad and iPhone and mac at home, and they sync via Dropbox.

Since I cannot use dropbox on my work PC, I emailed Agilebits customer service and they suggested I sign up for windows beta 4.3.2, and maybe 4.3.2 would allow wifi syncing. But i haven't received a link to download 4.3.2 yet to try it out.

I also don't understand the following statement from MikeT: grab the agilekeychain file with its HTML file.

When I look in dropbox when I am on my mac I see 1Password.agilekeychain. Then if I look at show package contents, I see a whole bunch of file called 1Password.html, some with numbers in parentheses (xx) but none with a current date.

Where do I find the correct file? If I do find the correct 1Password file, how would I use it on my PC at work?

I was permitted to download 1Password for Windows on my work computer, but when logging in it asks something like "where do I want to look for the existing data"

How do I set this up?

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

-Alan

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

On your work, please log into the dropbox.com web site. Navigate to the 1Password.agilekeychain folder. Inside this 1Password.agilekeychain folder you should see a file named 1Password.html. Click on this file. From here, you can unlock your 1Password data.

• MikeT
    edited June 2014

Hi @alan2461,

In addition to what Stefan said on how to find the 1Password.html file on Dropbox, you should delete the 1Password (date).html files, just leave the 1Password.html file alone. Those are conflicts that 1Password should've resolved for you but it didn't.

It is safe to delete these conflicts on 1Password.html, you can do so on Dropbox.com if you want to do it there or via your Dropbox folder at home.

• Sir_Mustardly
    Sir_Mustardly
    Community Member

is there still no workaround for this? I just don't like or trust dropbox and don't want to upload my keychain to them. I would like to be able to just carry a thumbdrive with me.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

It doesn't have to be Dropbox @Sir_Mustardly. All you need is a webserver to host the keychain and make it "non-local".

https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @Sir_Mustardly,

is there still no workaround for this?

This is a restriction placed by the browsers, they have the right idea that no local-file Javascript files should run by default, which is what 1PasswordAnywhere is right now in its current form.

As RichardPayne suggested, you can work around this by running your own web server and instruct your browser to run 1PasswordAnywhere from that server. However, keep in mind that we cannot be responsible for what happens with that setup, it is not something we support or recommend. You have to make sure you don't leave the server running all the time and such.

It is possible we might even do the same thing, offer 1PasswordAnywhere with a bundled web server to run from the USB drive but it is not in our current plans at the moment. I'll add your vote to our tracker to consider this.

This discussion has been closed.