Just upgraded from 1Password 3 to 5 - need help getting data into the new sandbox

jescaaustin
jescaaustin
Community Member

Hey guys. I just upgraded to 1Password 5 (for Mac), and didn't think before I let it sync with Dropbox. Since the version I had set up wouldn't actually sync with Dropbox, the info that's now in the new version is not correct. I've scoured the support and troubleshooting documents, and can't figure out how to fix this without enlisting your help!
Thanks,
Jessica

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015

Hi @jescaaustin,

Sorry to hear you ran into some trouble getting set up with 1Password 5! We can definitely help get this all sorted out for you.

First, if you don't want the older data you synced from Dropbox, you can reset 1Password 5 by following the steps in our Starting Over guide. Make sure you only remove the files/folders specifically mentioned in those instructions. When you're done with that, open 1Password 5 and set it up as a new user, and choose the same master password you used for version 3. You should end up with a new, empty vault in 1Password 5.

Next, follow these steps to get your data file from version 3:

• Open 1Password 3 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select the General tab
    • Right-click somewhere in the Data File path and choose Show In Finder
    • Copy the .agilekeychain file to the Desktop (or to the Mac with version 5, if it's on a different Mac)

Finally, sync that keychain file with your new vault in 1Password 5:

• Open 1Password 5 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select Sync, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose the .agilekeychain file you copied from version 3

You should now have all your data in 1Password 5. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks!

• jescaaustin
    jescaaustin
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

Thanks, Drew! That worked, and the switchover is complete. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I kind of got the feeling that Jessica had been syncing with Dropbox at some point in the past but they'd maybe stopped doing so for whatever reason, meaning Dropbox contained older data. We can see what @jescaaustin has to say and if you do have any questions @jescaaustin please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.