iCloud sync stopped working between Mac and iOS devices

Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Syncing seemed to stop from Mac to iPhone?.

Comments

• UserError
    UserError
    Community Member

Having similar issue, using Mac with 1P 5.1 and iPad & iPhone with 5.2. I have 92 items in Mac and 76 items in IOS devices. Syncing via iCloud.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @UserError,

I'm sorry iCloud sync isn't working correctly! I moved your message to a new thread since you're having trouble with iCloud instead of Dropbox.

To help figure out why it's not working, let's try checking the sync settings:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with iCloud. If it isn't, set up iCloud sync by following the steps here.

On your iPad and iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service.
    • Make sure it shows the current sync method is iCloud. If it isn't, set up iCloud sync by following the steps here.

Let us know what you find in the sync settings on each one. Thanks!

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. Mac <> Mac (both 1P 4.4.3 10.9) works flawlessly via iCloud.

Always has.

But, although I get no error from 1P5 Pro on my iPhone 6 Plus (8.1.3), not only is the number of items between Mac desktops and iPhone different (fewer on iPhone), but also login items which I have entered on Mac desktops do not show up.

Any ideas, please?

(Have followed both sets of instructions as above.)

TIA…

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Mark Sealey,

Unfortunately iCloud sync won't work between 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac. This is because 1Password 5 uses Apple's new CloudKit technology for iCloud sync, which unfortunately is not backwards compatible with the older iCloud sync option in 1Password 4. We have more information about that in our iCloud in 1Password 5 FAQ.

In order to sync between 1Password 5 for iOS and 1Password 4 for Mac, you'll need to switch to Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync.

I'm sorry for the confusion about that! If you have any questions about that, please let us know.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks, Drew!

That's really helpful: I know I'm doing nothing wrong :-)

However, if I switch to Wi-Fi synch for/between my two remote Mac(s), I won't be able to synch between them, will I?

What are other users with similar combinations of hardware doing in such circumstances, please?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @brenty! :)

@Mark Sealey, brenty has given some great information. I wanted to add that Wi-Fi sync only works between a Mac and iOS devices, not directly between multiple Macs, so it's probably not an ideal sync solution for you. But Dropbox should work well for you - it's very similar to iCloud sync in that Dropbox will automatically sync your 1Password data in the background, so once you set it up it should just work. If you need any help to get that set up, just let us know!

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty and Drew! Will do :-)

Good luck…

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Or…

I'm actually planning to upgrade to Yosemite within the next few weeks - at home.

But staying on 10.9 at work

And of course iOS 8.1 for mobile.

But that doesn't gain me anything does it?

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Or - yet a again - if I may, please…

Could I actually switch synching systems - say once a week - regularly (but manually, not automatically) to catch my iPhone up?!

My reservation (forgive me): in the past - perhaps when 1P synching was not so mature as it must be now; I know how difficult the algorithms are - I've had duplicate data after synching.

What I have now works between my two iMacs (10.9); in a way I don't want to disturb that. Leave well alone and not risk losing/doubling Items.

Or am I worrying about nothing?

IOW could I 100% safely:

• keep work Mac on iCloud 1P synching
    • set iOS 1P synching to Wi-Fi (permanently)
    • alternate home Mac (10.9 then 10.10 soon) 1P synching between iCloud (for the work Mac, which is 10.9) and Wi-Fi (for my iPhone)?!!

Are there implications for the integrity of the data in switching/alternating?

Thanks so much!

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

brenty,

No - you were perfectly clear! Thanks much: your help really appreciated :-)

Yes, I've had the same trouble as it sounds you have (sorry to hear that). And - since 1P contains my… life (!) - I can't afford staleness or seeing double. (But then, Who can.)

I'm reluctant to go back to Dropbox. I love Apple systems too much. And it seems only a matter of time before DropBox gets 'Anthem-ed'.

But if I did - given that my data is only currently properly synched between my two Macs (iPhone is 60 Items out of date) - however could I get that data fully synched before switching back to DropBox on all three devices?

Thanks again :-)

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

brenty,

Sorry: this explains Anthem; I'd hate to lose certainty because Dropbox were.

If I do a one-time synch, home iMac <> iPhone - as you kindly suggest, is there no risk at all of losing data/data state(s) that exist as a result of my previous synch, home iMac <> iPhone?

Then, presumably, I'd switch all three devices to DropBox?

Thanks!

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks again, brenty! AFAIK our data was compromised in the Anthem hack - along with potentially everyone's. Real security and the implications for electronic open house is still massively misunderstood, I fear.

Good to be reminded about 1P and DropBox - thanks.

Is my scenario/sequence the correct or best one, please?

Your help much appreciated.

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

Thanks so much!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Mark Sealey, I'm so glad @brenty was able to help you out with all that! :) Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you have more questions.

@UserError, we got a bit off-topic here, and hopefully you've been able to sort out the sync problem you were having, but if you still need help with that, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.