Updating Login

SecretSquirrel
SecretSquirrel
Community Member
edited February 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm comparing password managers.

In 1Password, let's say I enter a username/password at a website. 1Password saves it for me. I go into the site, change the username, and log out. Now I go back to log in. I manually enter the username/password, but 1Password fails to spot the change; that is, it does not ask me if I want to update the existing username information it has on file.

However, let's say I enter a username/password at a website. 1Password saves it for me. I go into the site, change the password, and log out. Now I go back to log in. I manually enter the username/password, and 1Password does spot the change and asks me if I want to update the existing password information it has on file.

Am I doing something wrong? Why will 1Password properly update a changed password, but not a changed username?

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@SecretSquirrel @brenty I'm afraid 1Password's auto-save feature does not look at your username. It looks at the domain+password combo. Please see this discussion where @dteare explains how it works, and why it works that way.

That being said, here is how you can update your username in 1Password:

1. Start 1Password
    2. Unlock
    3. Locate your Login item
    4. Click on the Pencil button (or press Ctrl+E)

At the bottom of the edit window, you see all your fields. One of them should have the "username" designation. Double-click on this field. Change your username, and press OK (twice).

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @Secret_Squirrel,

but I think that customers would be better served by giving them the option to have 1password to check domain with the username and/or password instead of just the domain/password.

In a perfect world, we agree but the problem is that it is never really this simple as Brenty wrote. Our algorithms are very complex and by adding another option in the mix will further that complexity to the point that it might actually break things for more users than we'd like to see. One example is that there are many sites that does weird things to the username/email addresses such as masking them before 1Password can get to see the username. That'll result into 1Password prompting to auto-save your data each single time you use the site.

Since we made this change, the auto-save prompt became far more accurate and less noisy compared to the previous setup that resulted into many inaccurate prompts.

However, we never say never to anything. Our algorithms are constantly improving over time and there is a good chance in the future that the ability to look at the username would be included.

• Hi @Secret_Squirrel,

It seems that this feature was removed because it was problematic, but I would suggest the better solution would be to fix the algorithm so it works properly, and then allow the user to choose which method they want to use. The default could be domain/password, with the option of username/password. The program is stronger and fits more user' needs.

As mentioned in my post above, we always are working on improving our algorithms but right now, it's not that level that we can do this as an option. We will not offer an option when it is not ready and proven to work on all sites we have tests for.

My preference though is to have software that allows a user options and more customization

Unfortunately, 1Password is not that software. We will be reducing options over time to simplify the operation and will not offer options to try to accommodate all users. We might offer hidden options if we believe it is safe to do so but we want our app to be simple but powerful to use, not powerful but complex to use.

This discussion has been closed.