MacBook WiFi Sync with new iPhone 6 Plus

fred6
fred6
Community Member

Had an iPhone 6, but decided to buy me an iPhone 6 Plus. I remember getting 1Password to work on my iPhone 6 was a pain in the ass, so I hoped for a smooth situation on the Plus. Unfortunately, it's the same pain in the ass...

Some specs:
The vault is on my MacBook Pro (late 2013), OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 running 1Password version 5.1 (510027).
The device I'd like to sync to is an iPhone 6 Plus 64Gb running the latest 1Password version.

What I already tried:

• Opened 1Password on the iPhone 6 Plus
  • Chose "Sync existing vault"
  • Chose "Sync using Wi-Fi
  • Followed the instructions to open 1Password for Mac and selected File > Wi-Fi Sync
    (my iPhone and MacBook Pro are connected to the same Wi-Fi network)

Then, the strangest things happen:
1.) nothing happens
2.) after restarting both devices my MacBook shows up in the list on my iPhone, sometimes, when I'm lucky
3.) and if my MacBook finally shows up in the list and I click quickly (before it disappears again), enter the secret code and hit Sync Now...
4.) I get an error: connection refused, domain errors and what not...

Been trying this several times now, I am probably busy getting 1Password to work for over 3 hours now. Annoying, because the app and the desktop software are quite expensive and time consuming getting it to work every time you like to install the software on a few devices.

If it all works, it works great. But to get it to work...is a whole different story.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fred6,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with Wi-Fi sync!

You mentioned getting a "connection refused" error, which is sometimes related to the OS X firewall. Can you please check a setting on your Mac:

• Open the System Preferences app on your Mac
    • Select Security & Privacy
    • Choose Firewall

Is this enabled? If so, please try temporarily disabling it, then try setting up Wi-Fi Sync again. Does it make any difference when the firewall is off?

If that doesn't help, can you please let us know the exact error message you're getting? The next time you get that error, please write it down or take a screenshot. If you take a screenshot, you can include it in your reply by clicking the document button in the top of the comment field, and selecting the file you wish to share:

Thanks!

• fred6
    fred6
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Thanks for replying. While waiting for your help, I kept trying to get the devices synced. I managed to do so.
    The steps I followed, described in my first post, I followed again, and again, and again. It felt like gambling a bit.
    For awhile I got the following error messages:

Sync Problem
    Incorrect secret. Please make sure it matches the secret shown on the computer.

Sync Problem
    The operation couldn't be completed. Connection refused.

Sync Problem
    The operation couldn't be completed. Operation timed out.

The error messages above I got several times. I didn't change anything, the secret code was correct all the time, both devices were on the same network. I truly have no clue why it all of a sudden did work.

So, I was gonna leave a comment here to tell the readers I managed to get the devices synced and then found your comment.
    I did check on my Firewall settings anyway to check if the problem could've been there, but my Firewall is turned off. It always is.

Anyways, thanks again for your reply. I won't buy me a new iPhone no more. ;-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fred6,

That's really strange, but I'm really glad to hear it started working for you! Thanks for letting us know the details. I do hope Wi-Fi sync continues to work correctly, but if you run into more problems, we'll be more than happy to help, so just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.