How Do I Import Existing Password Into 1Password?

Options
ssharma
ssharma
Community Member

Hi,
I just started using 1password and am trying to figure out how to import my existing passwords into 1password. I am on OS X Yosemite and downloaded the trial version of 1password version 5. Thanks.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I think the key thing we need to know is where your existing passwords are. :) Do you use another password manager, are they in your browser or in your keychain?

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ssharma,

As Stephen explained, it will help if you can tell us where you want to import your existing passwords from. Also, in case it helps, we have some information about importing data here: Importing your data

If you need more help after taking a look at that article, let us know where you currently keep your passwords, and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

• ssharma
    ssharma
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, guys. My passwords are currently in the iCloud keychain.

• ssharma
    ssharma
    Community Member
    Options

Guys,
    I am not a technical person and have no experience in coding and scripting. So the step about opening the terminal and entering code is where I get stuck. Can someone give me a "coding for dummies" step by step process for exporting my keychain into a .csv or some other file? I'm surprised that 1password doesn't have this functionality built-in.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @ssharma,

The README file that comes with the convert_to_1p4 script package provides the Step-by-Step you are asking for, and there is no coding or scripting for you to do. Just follow the directions, step-by-step. In addition, there is a (hopefully helpful) video for you to see how it all works (using one of the password managers, as an example of how it works). Look under Extra Help where you download the convert_to_1p4 package.

I don't believe Apple makes the Keychain entirely available for other apps to simply read (and hence convert).

• ssharma
    ssharma
    Community Member
    Options

ok, I had a little success. I followed the instructions but the script only imported 11 records. However, I know that I have a lot more than 11 records in keychain. What did I do wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Your other records may only be in the cloud, and not local, so Apple's export tool does not have access to them. You need to copy those to a local vault. This relevant thread explains:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/163867/#Comment_163867

I have some more specific instructions sent to me by the user mentioned in that post. I can send those steps to you by private message if you want them (I don't want to post them here directly, since I haven't verified them myself yet). I still need to integrate these steps into the OS X Keychain-specific details in the README, but have not done so yet primarily because I have not setup that test environment.

This discussion has been closed.