1Password syncing across different versions and multiple devices over Wi-Fi

s7000
s7000
Community Member

Hi,

I have a multitude of Mac and iOS devices, running different versions of 1Password, iOS and Mac OS X.
In general, which are the version requirements for Wi-Fi syncing?
For example, does 1Password 5.2 on iOS 8 sync to 1Password 3.8.22 on Mac OS X 10.7?
(Obviously I am asking this because I cannot make it sync…)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• s7000
    s7000
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for clarification.

I was aware of Dropbox Sync, but I thought I would never, ever, use Dropbox to store sensitive data.
    But well, trusting in 1Password's end-to-end encryption, I gave it a try, and actually it works well, particularly resolving the Sync issue between different versions.

There is one drawback though:
    The Dropbox client needs to run on the Mac in order to sync (in contrast to iOS, where there is no client required, right?).
    Dropbox being a constant issue of data security, I don't like this setup. This may be OK for personal use, but I cannot allow this in the office, enabling users to place unencrypted documents in the cloud.

Are there any plans to integrate the Dropbox API into the Mac version just as it has been done with iOS version 5?
    This would avoid having the Dropbox client running on OS X in order to sync with Dropbox.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

The Dropbox client needs to run on the Mac in order to sync (in contrast to iOS, where there is no client required, right?).

That is right. I can't comment on any future plans, since I'm a just fellow user like you, but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone from AgileBits come along and record your feature request. I also don't know if what you want is even feasible on a Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@hawkmoth: Indeed. It seems like it could add unnecessary complexity to 1Password to have it treat your data differently based on the sync/storage method, but you never know; it may prove to have enough advantages to be worth it in the future.

Honestly though I wouldn't be surprised if 1Password just let Dropbox handle sync'ing itself as well on mobile too...if it weren't for OS limitations there. As it stands, both 1Password and Dropbox have access to the filesystem on the desktop, so they make a happy couple. After all, 1Password has to store your data somewhere anyway. ;)

@s7000: I just wanted to note that Dropbox encrypts your data; but more importantly, your 1Password data is encrypted before Dropbox ever sees it, so even a Dropbox breach wouldn't leave your 1Password data vulnerable. Just make sure you're using a long, strong Master Password that doesn't leave you open to 'brute force' attacks on your data, were it to fall into the wrong hands through data theft of any kind.

And you can always use an alternative sync method on the Mac if you wish, whether it's Wi-Fi Sync or Folder Sync, which give you more control over when and where your data goes, especially in a work environment. :)

• s7000
    s7000
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty and @hawkmoth for further clarification.

Without shifting the conversation off-topic, I do agree for 1Password to use Dropbox as a cloud storage provider, but only for data encrypted end-to-end.
    Dropbox staff is known to have access to any user data which is stored there unencrypted. So I'd rather not like to have the Dropbox client installed on any of my devices. If you use their API internally, that's fine, but please do not consider requiring the Dropbox client on any future iOS versions of 1Password.

Thanks for your support!

• ag_kevin
    edited March 2015

Hi @s7000,

We will consider your request to not require the Dropbox client, but in the meantime, unless there is some horrible bug in their desktop client software, their staff can only access data that you put in the Dropbox folder, and no other files on your desktop. On iOS, sandboxing ensures that the Dropbox app can not access any other data on your iOS device, except what you explicitly put there. So Dropbox staff could only ever access data you put in the Dropbox app. This does not mean we will not consider your request carefully; I'm just mentioning this to allay some concerns.

• s7000
    s7000
    Community Member

Thanks @hayesk to consider my request.

The Dropbox client could be a huge security risk, particularly in a work environment - not because of malfunction but because of its ability to upload any confidential file to the cloud, rendering any IT security policies useless. This is why I'd rather not have the client installed there - and this constrains the well-designed Sync functionality of 1Password.

But this discussion drifting off the initial Wi-Fi sync topic, I'll have a look at another thread focusing on Dropbox Sync.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@s7000: Excellent point! I must admit that the egress of other files isn't a particular I had considered in the context of this thread, for whatever reason. :blush:

I guess the takeaway is that each sync solution has it's pros and cons, and there isn't one in particular that can recommend itself fully for any given situation. Definitely see if Wi-Fi Sync is something that you can fit into your workflow, since it sounds like limiting transfers to the local network is key in your case. And don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or feedback! :)

This discussion has been closed.