1Password for Blackphone or other Android-Based Phones without Play-Store

kappuchino
kappuchino
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Android

Dear Support,

sadly it seems like I have to leave the ecosystem of 1Password because my current Phone - a Blackphone (BP1) - can run your app (transferred from a Nexus 5 with the matching Android Version, there I also bought the Pro Extension) but does not use license i purchased.

I need a password manager on my device, can't do without, but yours is the only that does not run with all needed functions (if you ignore the trial phase - I don't want to re-install/reset/... the app every month). On computers your 1Password is better then the rest, so thats a bummer.

The Blackphone as a secure phone would be perfect in combination with 1Password, but it seems the In-App Purchase is the problem. Other apps use a 2nd "Pro"-App you can buy, click once and with that activate the pro-version for the device. In these cases, all apps I transferred were activated and worked just fine.

Is there any way to use 1Password on a device like the BP1?

Thank you,
Seb

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

@kappuchino

Other apps use a 2nd "Pro"-App you can buy, click once and with that activate the pro-version for the device.

If you haven't got access to the PlayStore then how did you buy these other "pro" apps?

• Hey @kappuchino. I'll forward your request to sell 1Password in the Blackphone Store to our developers. For now, 1Password is only available through the Play Store. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for getting in touch! :)

• kappuchino
    kappuchino
    Community Member

@RichardPayne : I bought the apps regularly in the google-play store, then used a backup-software with over the air transfer to get them to the BP1. It works with 90% of the apps.

• Sorry there isn't much we can do about unlocking the premium features @kappuchino. :( Please do let us know if you have any other questions.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@saad are there any plans to expand past GooglePlay at all? I know that Kindle users want your to use the Amazon App Store. If not, why not?

• budmiller
    budmiller
    Community Member

I have just bought an Amazon Fire phone and would like to have 1Password running on it. I would hate to have to move to a different password manager for my Mac and iPad because 1Password is not available on the Amazon App store.

• @RichardPayne There are no immediate plans at this moment. We understand the Amazon App Store is among the top requested and we plan to revisit this topic in the near future.

• @budmiller Currently, 1Password Reader is available in the Amazon App Store.

1Password 4 has been developed for and tested on a variety of devices that natively run Android OS. Unfortunately, Fire OS has its differences from Android OS, and is not a perfectly accurate environment; therefore, 1Password will not work as intended. We will review adding support for Fire OS and the Amazon App Store in the near future, but there is nothing immediate I am able to share. Thanks for your feedback!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The other option is join the beta program! Beta downloads don't need in-app purchase to access premium features. The downside is that you'll be semi-regularly having to download and copy across new versions as they expire. You'll also be expected to report bug here.

• Thanks Richard! We always appreciate beta testers. :lol:

• mhagge
    mhagge
    Community Member

Amazon app store would also be very good for Blackberry10 user. There is the same problem with the Pro version of 1Password, no way to purchase the license

• Yes, we would need to alter how in-app purchasing works if we are to create a version that would support the Amazon App Store and Kindle devices.

This discussion has been closed.