WiFi sync between 5.2 on iPhone 6 and 3.8.22 under OSX 10.6.8

mr_manhattan
mr_manhattan
Community Member

I'm not seeing how I can use WiFi to sync 1Password 5.3 on my iPhone (running iOS 8) and a vault created by 1Password 3.8.22 running on my MBP under OSX 10.6.8. It appears there's no WiFi sync option available in 3.8.22. Does that mean I can't sync at all?

Thanks!

Michael

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mr_manhattan,

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 3 for Mac only worked with 1Password 3 for iOS. Starting in 1Password 4, there were major changes to Wi-Fi sync to make it more stable and secure while transferring your data, but the changes were such that the new Wi-Fi sync mechanism is not backwards compatible with 1Password 3. You would need to upgrade to 1Password 4 or higher on your Mac in order to use Wi-Fi sync with 1Password 5 on your iPhone, but unfortunately you won't be able to do that on OS X 10.6.8 (1Password 4 for Mac requires 10.8 or 10.9, and 1Password 5 for Mac requires 10.10).

In order to sync between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 5 for iOS, you can use Dropbox sync. If you have data in 1Password 3 for Mac, you should set up Dropbox sync on the Mac first, and then on your iPhone. If you need any help with that, just let us know!

• mr_manhattan
    mr_manhattan
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I assume that using dropbox mean I'm going to store a copy of my 1P 3/OSX database in a cloud folder and then have 1P 5/iOS sync against it. Elsewhere on this forum I have (since posting) read that there's significant differences in the format of the database file used by 1P 3 and 1P5. If that's the case, is it even possible to sync between these versions using anything but WiFi?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mr_manhattan,

In 1Password 3, the vault format used was called .agilekeychain. While it is true that in 1Password 4 we moved to storing all of your vaults in a single .sqlite database file we still use the .agilekeychain for syncing meaning that in terms of Dropbox syncing 1Password 3 for Mac is compatible with even the newest version of 1Password for Mac and iOS. At some point we will move to an alternative format but that day isn't today and we have people that still use 1Password 3 for Mac and keep it in sync with all their newer devices using this exact system.

Your understanding is correct, the use of Dropbox means a copy is stored on their server so that it is accessible whenever needed. on a Mac the Dropbox client keeps a local copy in sync with the server as long as there is access. In iOS we use a Dropbox API as mobile devices aren't designed to keep a copy of your entire Dropbox which can span gigs (depending on your usage).

If you have any questions do please ask.

• mr_manhattan
    mr_manhattan
    Community Member

Well, this was all a waste of time. I immediately ran into a problem trying to sync 1P/3 with Dropbox. Here's what what I found in another thread on this same forum:

"What version of 1Password are you using on your iOS devices? If you're using 1Password 3 for iOS, unfortunately it won't be able to sync via Dropbox because of changes Dropbox made to their API back in September 2013."

I have to say I am incredibly dismayed by the lack of backwards compatibility in this product. Basically I'm SOL as far as syncing between my phone and my desktop until such a time as I get a new Mac or choose to run Yosemite on an older MacBook Pro which otherwise suits my needs running 10.6.

• Hello @mr_manhattan ,

I think you misunderstood. 1Password version 3 for iOS won't be able to sync, but you said you were running version 5.3. 1Password 3 for Mac can still use Dropbox, so you should be able to use it to sync today.

This discussion has been closed.