1 password 5 for mac

Options
lars639
lars639
Community Member

I would like to confirm that 1 Password 5 for Mac, will work on my Macbook pro (2011) with Yosemite and my iPhone 6.

The title of the product seems it only works on a Mac.

If yes:
1) how does it get installed on both items? Do I download on both the phone and MacBook for the same $49.95 price.
2) does the setup need to be individually or does iCloud sync this for me?
I assume there are step by step instructions provided.

If no, if i purchase Agile for the phone and the Macbook pro, can the two sync up so the same password is used on both?

Thank you.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

1Password will indeed work on both of your devices.

The licenses for OS X and iOS are sold separately.

You can buy the Mac version from the AgileBits web store or on the Mac App Store. If iCloud syncing will be important for you, however, you must buy from Apple, as the AgileBits version doesn't have access to iCloud for that purpose.

The iOS application is only available from the iTunes App Store, just like all othe iOS applications. It's free to download and use indefinitely in its basic version. If you find you want the advanced Pro features, that will require an in-app purchase.

There are very clear instruction for getting everything set up and coordinated from the AgileBits manuals site, here.

You will use the same master password on both your Mac and iPhone.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lars639,

It looks like hawkmoth has covered your questions but if you still have more please do ask.

• lars639
    lars639
    Community Member
    Options

I use Safari and there is an option called "passwords". When I visit a sight, sometimes the user name and password are pre-populated, and I just "log in" .

Will there be a conflict?
    (I plan to use the same log in name and password when I use your product)

Also, my credit union and a few other sites want me to enter a word or number, after i enter the site. Will that third log in step still be visible to me?
    Thank you

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You can continue to use the iCloud keychain, along with 1Password. I've stopped doing so, however, and use only 1Password.

I'm not certain I can answer your question about your credit union site. I regularly use a financial institution's site that asks for a PIN on the page following the one that accepts the username and password. I have a second 1Password record just for that page, and that's what fills in my PIN. I am not sure if you can get the whole thing into a single login record, though.

There are instructions for Creating a multi-page login in the knowledge base.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lars39,

I did use both for a very small period of time but I found the constant asking annoying. With Safari and keychain the issue is you can't use the password manager without having it pester you all the time, asking if you want to save. I believe there has been one instance where there was a timing issue of some kind but I'm a little hazy on the details at the moment. Normally though it's one of those things where you can probably safely use the two but I don't know of any advantage in doing so.

You can view which sites Safari has passwords stored for by viewing the Passwords tab in Safari's preferences. What might be the good way forward is to work on getting those sites into 1Password and then you can switch that one off and use just the one system. Of course it is completely your choice, whatever works best for you.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• lars639
    lars639
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. I am in the process of cleaning up the passwords in Safari, deleting what no longer needed.

After the cleanup, which is time consuming, I plan to only use 1Password.

• Glad to help. Please post again if you have further questions.

This discussion has been closed.