1PW 5 update and extension issues [following up through email]

ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I upgraded from 1PW 3 to 5 and see that 1PW3 is still in applications. Should it be deleted? Also the 1PW extension is installed in Safari, but when I try and use it I get an error message that says it is not available. I have OS 10.10.2.
Thanks.

Comments

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

How do I uninstall 1PW 3 after installing 1PW 5 upgrade?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

What about deleting the 1PW 3 extensions for Safari and Chrome? How would you do that and should they be deleted before or after dragging version 3 to trash?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

You can keep 1Password 3 in your Applications if you wish but once you're happy that 1Password 5 is running and contains your full vault there probably won't be many instances where you want to keep 1Password 3 around. You can safely remove it if you wish and this page, How do I completely uninstall 1Password? may prove handy when you do.

Now as far as the extension goes are you still running the old one? A lot changed when we rewrote 1Password 4 including a complete rewrite of the extension. So the old extension isn't compatible with 1Password 4/5. What you will need to do is download the newer one that is available at https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

What you can do is disable the old extension (not uninstall) and again, once you're happy everything is as it should you can uninstall.

If you have any questions do please ask :smile:

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

If you are confident that your data are safely imported into 1Password 5, just drag the version 3 app from the Applications folder to the trash. Empty the trash. You're done.

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

What about getting rid of the old extensions for 1 PW 3. Isn't that necessary?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

You know, I'm not sure about those extensions. If you choose the menu option to install extensions from the 1Password 5 menu, it may overwrite the old one. I truly can't remember what happened when I updated from version 3 to version 4. I think it automatically sorted itself out, but I'm not 100% sure anymore. I'm sure I didn't do anything special about extensions when going from version 4 to 5.

Every browser has a way to turn off and uninstall extensions. I'm sure you won't have any issues if you uninstall them from your browser(s), and then reinstall them from the version 5 option to do so. Even if the extension have already been updated, it won't hurt anything to do it over.

But if this sort of vague advice makes you at all uncomfortable, you may want to wait for someone from the AgileBits team to weigh in.

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

Hawkmoth said just drag version 3 to trash. Please clarify, drag to trash, or do complete uninstall? And why am I getting different advice?

I downloaded the new extension, but it is not working. Before you wrote back I googled the question about uninstalling the 1PW 3 browser extension and was lead to an agilebites online topic that said when upgrading from 1 PW 3 to the newest version, "be sure to remove the old version (3.x)..." So again, I am reading 2 pieces of advice on this issue as well, You say disable, the online guide say uninstall. Which one is it, and if the official advice now is to disable, please provide the link for instructions.
    Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

I've merged the two threads given they relate to the same topic.

You will want to follow the guide for removing 1Password 3. For example, there is something called 1PasswordAgent that you will want to remove and dragging the application to your Trash won't cover those. We improved on this in 1Password 4 when we incorporated 1Password mini into inside the app so dragging the application removes all the executables. If you follow the guide you won't have to worry about remnants.

My specific advise regarding the 1Password 3 extension was to disable at the start, make sure everything is okay and then feel free to uninstall. You can uninstall straight away if you wish, all I was doing was airing on the side of caution. The 1Password 3 extension maintains its own database and disabling the extension (so it can't interfere) won't delete that database while uninstalling will. So Safari will behave the same whether you disable or uninstall but with the disabling the database is retrievable.

Now, can you describe in what way the new extension isn't working please, lets see if we can resolve that. The cause won't directly be the 1Password 3 extension as my test machine often has both installed.

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

If I click to unlock master password to save login I get this message: "Extension database not available. Please press Command-Option-Q to restart your browser and discard invalid state." I have done that but it does not help.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t - I didn't realize that you already had your answer in a parallel thread when I answered. Sorry to create unnecessary confusion. I'll remember for the next user that just dragging the app to the trash won't do the whole trick with version 3.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Take a look at this knowledge base article, which tells you how to delete the 1P3 browser extensions. (You'll see you should do that before deleting 1P3—but there's a link provided to re-download 1P3 if you need it.)

Stephen

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@ivj2Rap2Kusj8t please also see my answer just posted here in what is effectively a duplicate thread. I did not see this thread at the time I posted. Please do not post the same problem in duplicate threads: it's extremely confusing for those giving support (as well as for you—because you never know where the answer is).

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

I've merged more of your posts as even I'm getting confused now.

If you could post back just here please with what your current issues are and we'll do our best to assist.

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

If I click to unlock master password to save login I get this message: "Extension database not available. Please press Command-Option-Q to restart your browser and discard invalid state." I have done that but it does not help.
    Is that a message from version 3?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

I'm not an expert with the 1Password 3 extension as I was an Opera browser fan at the time and couldn't use the extension. It certainly does sound like it. Saying that, you shouldn't be getting any errors at all relating to the 1Password 3 extension if it's disabled. Have you done so or is it still active?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

I think it is the 1PW 3 extension, I was confusing it with 1 PW 5 when I 1st installed it. I have not had a chance to disable it yet, but will check back about that if I have problems when I try to, thanks.
    But now I have another problem. When I go to the Logins list on 1PW mini and scroll down to the end of the list at the bottom of the screen, I cannot go any farther. I get as far as my logins starting with "D", but cannot access logins beyond that. Not sure what I am missing about this.

Thanks.

• Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t ,

If you place your mouse cursor just above the bottom of the menu (not the bottom of the screen) does it scroll then?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

If I bring my cursor down to the end of the list of logins, the list ends there (in the letter "D" range) and I cannot access any logins beyond that. The end of the list is towards the bottom of the screen, but the cursor is still on the list.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

If you're trying to scroll by hovering your mouse cursor at the bottom of the list but it doesn't automatically scroll, that's actually an issue our developers solved in a recent beta version, so that fix should be included in the next update for the stable release version. I apologize for the inconvenience!

In the meantime, you should be able to use other methods of scrolling, such as using a mouse wheel, swiping with two fingers on a track pad, using the arrow keys on your keyboard, etc.

I hope that helps, but let us know if you also have trouble using a different method to scroll, thanks!

ref: OPM-2088

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

Hi Drew,
    Thank you for the explanation. When I use the mouse wheel, it works for a few seconds, then 1 PW crashes. Dave Teare wrote in his welcome newsletter: "1Password mini will always hold a special place in my heart as he ties everything together, and the web browser extensions wouldn’t be possible without him." That sounds great!
    I would to have the same fully functional, stable version that is working so well for Dave, and as it is apparently currently available.
    Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

That's strange, I'm not able to reproduce that. Can you please let us know the exact version of 1Password you have installed on your Mac? From the 1Password app, go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password. You can click the Copy to Clipboard button and paste that here.

Also, does it matter which browser you're using when this happens? I believe you mentioned you're using both Safari and Chrome. What exact version of the 1Password extension is installed in each one?

Thanks!

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

I am using 1PW version 5.1 (510035) from Agile web store. Not sure how to find which exact extension version, but can try and find it if you tell me how to. I have it only on Safari. 1 Password Mini crashes every time I use it with my RollerMouse scroll wheel and does not scroll at all with cursor. When it crashed again tonight, a 1 PW box appeared on my desktop asking for an error report, so I sent it, along with my email on record.
    Thank you.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Not sure how to find which exact extension version, but can try and find it if you tell me how to. I have it only on Safari.

Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions and you'll find it there.

Stephen

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

OK, I have extension 3.9.20

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

Actually, just realized I have extension 4.2.5 which is used for 1 PW 5.1. The 3.9.2 extension goes with 1 PW 3 which I have not gotten around to removing yet.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

Can I just ask, is the issue reproducible after these steps?

1. Uninstall the 1Password browser extension (4.2.5) from Safari
    2. Reboot your Mac.
    3. Install the 1Password browser extension again.

Like @Drew_AG I've been unable to replicate this either using two-finger scroll on my trackpad or the scroll wheel on my rubbishy (yet still serviceable Microsoft mouse from many moons ago).

Please do keep us informed, it certainly shouldn't be crashing. If you find it is still crashing, instead of using a mouse to navigate you were to try using the arrow keys on your keyboard, I assume that also crashes it?

• ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

OK, I uninstalled extension 4.2.5 and reinstalled it on Safari. When I use the scroll wheel on my RollerMouse, 1 PW 5 still crashes. The arrow keys and rollerbar do not work at all, which would be ok, if the scroll wheel would work without 1 PW crashing. I have sent 2 Problem Reports from the crashes today. Were they helpful?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ivj2Rap2Kusj8t,

I believe only developers can access the crash report if you're referring to the crash report window OS X displays after an application has terminated unexpectedly. Did you also send it from the same email address you use here in the forums as I'm unaware of another way to link the two.

The last thing to try is downloading a fresh copy of 1Password 5 and see if that makes any difference.

1. Quit both 1Password and 1Password mini. You can do this with the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q when 1Password is open (it doesn't have to be unlocked).
    2. Drag the 1Password application from your /Applications/ folder to the Trash.
    3. Reboot your Mac.
    4. Download 1Password again from the same place you purchased it. So via Apple's App Store application if you're a MAS user and from our AgileBits Download page if you're a Agile Web Store (AWS) customer.
  • ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    ivj2Rap2Kusj8t
    Community Member

I did that and got this error message.
    What do I do now?

"The system launched an incorrect version of 1Password mini.
    Instead of '/Applications/1Password 5.app/Contents/LoginItems' it started '~/Downloads/1Password 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems'.
    Please make sure you have only one copy of 1Password on your Mac."

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Do as requested by:

1. dragging the 1P app from your Downloads folder to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep); then
    2. emptying the trash and rebooting.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.