New User - syncing issues

huang
huang
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I just bought 1password seems great, but I just though of a possible down side. The IT guys at my office will not allow administer privileges to us mortals. I have started generating good strong passwords,which there is no way on this earth I will ever remember. Suppose I want to buy something from Amazon while I'm at work. I can't install dropbox on their PC. How do I surmount this without insecurely creating a document with some of my passwords on it.

Ric

Comments

• As long as you can log into the Dropbox website you can make use of something called 1PasswordAnywhere. It'll allow you read only access to your vault from any browser. So while you won't be able to add entries at work, you will be able to look up your Amazon password from a machine where you're not the administrator.

The other option depending on your situation is 1Password for your mobile device. 1Password is currently available for both iOS and Android so you could make that purchase or log into that site on your phone or tablet too - whichever works for you really.

• huang
    huang
    Community Member

Thanks I have the iOS version and was trying to get it going, but the mac an the phone gave me secrets for wifi secret

• Okay, I'm struggling a little with understanding your issue there.

To sync via WiFi you need to open up the Wi-Fi Sync window in 1Password OS X and leave it open. Then on your iOS device you select the Sync using Wi-Fi option, select your mac (it will only appear in that list if the Wi-Fi Sync window is open) and then enter the secret so the two devices know they should 'talk'. You only need to enter the secret once as 1Password iOS will remember it.

Saying that, if you're syncing your vault via Dropbox already why not just use that?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @huang,

I'd be happy to help you out here, but like @littlebobbytables‌ I'm not quite sure I understand where things are getting tangled up. In order to get this sorted out, I'll need to know a little bit more about your 1Password ecosystem:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system for all computers and devices running 1Password?
    • What are you using to keep things in sync?

The more detail you can provide, the more quickly we'll be able to get you sorted out! :)

• huang
    huang
    Community Member

Wow I must have been really tired when I typed the above sorry. I have 1Password 4 on my mac and iOS 5.2.1. I use dropbox sync. I have everything the way I like it on the Mac an phone. I have unique master passwords on each device. I'd like to have a unique master password for my iPad too, but when I go to into settings it looks like a change on the iPad will effect the master password on my Mac. Am I correct?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @huang

We've had a couple of Master Password sync issues that we've been working on recently. The intention was always that all devices and machines syncing on a Primary vault would use the same Master Password and that changing it in one location would change it in the others. We would recommend changing all devices to use the same Master Password to eliminate any possible confusion in the sync data.

Unfortunately to benefit from all our recent efforts it would mean running 1Password 5 everywhere. On the Mac that means running Yosemite. If you're already running Yosemite then you should know that 1Password 5 is a free upgrade for all 1Password 4 customers so you can use it at no additional cost. If you're running Mavericks or lower though then sadly 1Password 5 isn't compatible.

If you have any further questions do please ask :smile:

• huang
    huang
    Community Member

I currently am running Mavericks, but I have a pretty complex PW so it is quite handy to have a different PW on the phone, and I wanted to bring the iPad into the mix. So will I have problems when I go to Yosemite on the mac?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The next releases of 1P5 for Mac and 1P5 for iOS will resolve many of the master password sync issues, I believe, so it's going to become increasingly hard to fight against what AgileBits intends: i.e., that master passwords should be the same on all your devices. :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @huang,

Complex passwords are wonderful ... except when you have to type them frequently, particularly on the iOS keyboard. As Stephen_C says, our developers are working to resolve the issue of Master Passwords not syncing across all devices, so unique Master Passwords for each device will soon not be possible.

Have you heard anything about Diceware passwords? These passwords are easy to remember, and pretty simple to type ... with the added bonus of being really secure, even if you don't toss in any special characters that force you to switch keyboards. If you haven't heard about Diceware, have a read through our security guru's blog post: Towards Better Master Passwords.

I hope this helps!

• huang
    huang
    Community Member

Megan,
    My PW started with a Diceware PW and then I added some other stuff. I will have to revisit that I guess.

Steven C.,
    I kind of feel like a victim of the Borg!! :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @huang‌

To cope with how tricky Master Passwords are on iOS devices you do have a couple of options available for making it easier. At the moment it works like this.

If you have a Touch ID iOS device and it is enabled you can use TouchID to unlock your vault. If you fail to authenticate yourself using your fingerprint or you reboot your phone then it will require your Master Password once again.

If you do not have a Touch ID compatible phone but do have a PIN set up on your iOS device then you can use a PIN to unlock your 1Password vault. Like Touch ID, incorrect entry of the PIN or a reboot of the phone will force the requirement of your Master Password.

Does that help at all?

• huang
    huang
    Community Member

Thanks for all the help. I went to a Touch ID phone.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @huang,

Great, that should definitely make things a bit easier for you! :)

If you need help setting up the Touch ID feature in 1Password, we have steps here. We're here for you if you have any questions about that!

This discussion has been closed.