Sync 2ndary vault from Mac -> DropBox ->iOS

tuni12
tuni12
Community Member

(Am using 1PW from MAS)
I thought I understood from previous questions/responses on 1PW Mac forum. However, when I go to my DropBox on my iPhone6, and check to see if the 2ndary vault I set up on my MBPro is on the iPhone Dropbox - is not. There is a shared vault on the DropBox entitled "shared vault with DH" and when I click on it I get: "Shared Vault.agilekeychain" which brings me to "1Password.html", or another file under it entitled "data". Clicking on the 1Password.html gives me: a an error message saying "problem loading 1PW data - a Key data file could not be loaded and 1PasswordAnywhere cannot continue without it " and a statement that this file was modified 5 months ago. Where is my new shared vault?

Or if I click on the "data" file mentioned previously, I see a folder labeled "default" and when I open that I get : .1pasword.keys, .password.hint, then a lot of 3Cf//////.1Password etc...files.....

Where is my new shared vault which only contained 9 items I set up to share with DH????? Why isn't it on DropBox - I have sync set up to sync to Dropbox for this vault only. I have Dropbox on my phone. Help!

I thought I had all this figured out, obviously I don't! :-(

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12 ,

It sounds like you're trying to access 1PasswordAnywhere on your mobile device. Do you have 1Password installed on your iPhone? The 1Password app will allow you to view your data as well as edit and fill in mobile Safari.

You can get 1Password 5 for iOS in the iOS App Store - it's a free download. Once you install the app, you can select the shared vault in Dropbox. See our User Guide for details on how to get set up. :)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Megan, I have 1PW5 for iOS from the App Store on my iPhone6 - that's why I don't understand the above???? It is set up to sync with Dropbox.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12,

Although you may have the 1Password 5 app installed on your iPhone, it sounds like you're looking through the .agilekeychain folder in the Dropbox app. You won't be able to view/use your secondary vault that way.

To sync your secondary/shared vault with 1Password on your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault > Sync with Dropbox. Tap on the name of your Dropbox account, then you'll be asked to choose a vault (you should see your secondary/shared vault listed there).

Sorry for any confusion about that! If you have any trouble syncing that vault, just let us know. :)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Drew: yes, I am seeing the.agilekeychain folder in DropBox.....Should I delete it from DropBox? and if I do, should I try to re-sync my secondary vault from 1PW on my MBPro to Dropbox again, after that? This is a mess. I though I had it straightened out a few days ago when I was working with y'all on the Mac forum for 1PW but obviously its still messed up. Can someone give me a step-by-step that will work with both vaults on both myMBPro andmy iPhone? I have read the User Guides again and again but can't seem to get this concept. Am so sorry to both everyone again..... :-(

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

Its the secondary vault that is the problem, that's the one I set up to share with DH ("B") a couple of days ago with "lottsa" help from the Mac Forum here. What I have in preferences for the secondary vault is: "my name->shared vault with B->shared vault.agilekeychain" At the top of this it ways: "also sync shared vault with Dropbox (this is in a dropdown menu). So before I go any further with your steps above, is this preference set up correctly? Its not the same as your image above. If not, how do I correct it?

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

In addition - on the iPhone, 1PW under settings/sync for this secondary vault it shows: current sync method with a check mark next to Drop box and then greyed out underneath I see this path: "Shared vault withB/Shared Vault.agilekeychain"

I believe the preferences path for syncing this 2cndary vault is loused up (by me) and I don't know quite how to fix it - hate to have to start all over for this vault....but sure could use some help to straighten out this mess. thx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@tuni12: Keep in mind that removing a secondary vault from the 1Password app on your Mac will not delete the datafile from your Dropbox folder. This way, if you have other devices (or are sharing it with others!) the data won't deleted just because you don't need to access it from your Mac, for instance. So be sure you don't have a stray or superfluous .agilekeychain lying around causing undue confusion! Here we go:

First, we need to locate your correct 1Password data (secondary vault, it sounds like). If you are trying to sync this via Dropbox, make sure it is within the Dropbox folder on your Mac; it isn't clear from the path you referenced above that this is in Dropbox:
    my name->shared vault with B->shared vault.agilekeychain

Locate the root of your Dropbox folder on your Mac. This should be
    [your_user_name]/Dropbox/, and within it should be any shared Dropbox folders that you...well, share with other people -- in this case 'B', it sounds like. :)

So once you've established that you have a folder within your Dropbox folder which is shared, make sure you place the appropriate 1Password datafile there, if it isn't already. There's an easy way to ensure that the datafile you're looking at is both the one you wanted and also loaded in 1Password: If you simply double-click on the .agilekeychain file it will either 1) open it in 1Password (if it was not already present there) or 2) notify you that it is already in use.

At this point, you should have the .agilekeychain you want to share in the appropriate shared folder in Dropbox, and then just open 1Password and go to the 1Password menu > Preferences > Sync and make sure that vault is showing and sync'ing using Dropbox. So far so good?

Then on your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync and make sure it is set up to sync using Dropbox. Then go to Settings > Vaults > Add Vault and set it up to access your secondary, shared vault in Dropbox as well. I hope this helps! :)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

I'm sorry,brenty, I appreciate your help and trying to explain this to me, however, its all totally beyond me. I'm just going to delete the DropBox sync with 1Pw. I've no problem with the icloud sync for my Primary vault, but this secondary vault and sync with Dropbox, DH's Mac, and my iPhone is obviously a process that I keep messing up. I think I'll just remove the whole thing....I do appreciate your efforts but I really don't understand what you are suggesting I do. :-(

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

ok - before I throw in the towel- I just want to add this: I can access the secondary vault on my iPhone utilizing 1PW. I cannot access the secondary vault on my iPhone using DropBox! When I click on the"Shared vault with B" in my list of items in Dropbox, (using Dropbox) I get a 5 month old file that I must have shared iwth DH 5 months ago. that's the one I don't know what to do with, and I don't know how to get the new vault (the secondary vault newly set up in 1PW) to the Dropbox app. list on my iPhone....when I click on the "shared vault with B" in DropBox on my phone, it takes me to "Shared Vault.agilekeychain", clicking on that gives me: 1Password.html (313KB modified 5 months ago) and under that a folder : "data" clicking on the data folder gives me"default" and clicking on "default" gives me a bunch of files such as ".1password.key, .password.hint, 3CF..........., 6B5.......etc....
    So that's no good. When I click on the 1Password.html I get an error message in red saying "Problem loading 1 Password data file - a key data file could not be loaded and 1Password Anywhere cannot continue without it. Please see the help guide for troubleshooting tips".

I am not using 1PW Anywhere to the best of my knowledge....(I think). However as you can see this is more than a troublesome situation that I've spent days (and you all have too) trying to fix, without any solution or plan that I am able to follow so far. Am extremely frustrated....(as you can tell)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tuni12,

I'm sorry this has been so frustrating for you! However, after reading (and re-reading) your last several messages, it actually sounds to me like you already have the secondary vault set up and syncing properly, and you might simply be confused about how to use that secondary vault. Let's back up a bit and go over a few things:

yes, I am seeing the.agilekeychain folder in DropBox.....Should I delete it from DropBox?

No, you should not delete the .agilekeychain from Dropbox. It's supposed to be there, that's how it syncs your data. Is there a reason you think you need to delete it from Dropbox?

Its the secondary vault that is the problem, that's the one I set up to share with DH ("B") a couple of days ago with "lottsa" help from the Mac Forum here.

I'm not sure anything is wrong with your setup. Are you having trouble with the secondary vault?

What I have in preferences for the secondary vault is: "my name->shared vault with B->shared vault.agilekeychain" At the top of this it ways: "also sync shared vault with Dropbox (this is in a dropdown menu).

That file path should include your "Dropbox" folder, but otherwise it sounds correct as long as that is the folder you shared with DH via Dropbox folder sharing. (If you're having trouble syncing changes to your secondary vault, we'll come back to this.)

on the iPhone, 1PW under settings/sync for this secondary vault it shows: current sync method with a check mark next to Drop box and then greyed out underneath I see this path: "Shared vault withB/Shared Vault.agilekeychain"

This seems correct - if I understand, that matches the file path from the sync settings on your Mac.

I believe the preferences path for syncing this 2cndary vault is loused up (by me) and I don't know quite how to fix it

I'm not sure I understand the problem, because it sounds like things are set up correctly. Can you elaborate on why you think there's a problem with the file path for the secondary vault? If you make a change to that secondary vault on your Mac, does it sync to the secondary vault on your iPhone?

I can access the secondary vault on my iPhone utilizing 1PW.

Great! That's how it's supposed to work. ;)

I cannot access the secondary vault on my iPhone using DropBox!

That's also correct - as I mentioned before, you won't be able to access your 1Password data directly from the Dropbox app.

When I click on the"Shared vault with B" in my list of items in Dropbox, (using Dropbox) I get a 5 month old file that I must have shared iwth DH 5 months ago. that's the one I don't know what to do with, and I don't know how to get the new vault (the secondary vault newly set up in 1PW) to the Dropbox app. list on my iPhone....when I click on the "shared vault with B" in DropBox on my phone, it takes me to "Shared Vault.agilekeychain", clicking on that gives me: 1Password.html (313KB modified 5 months ago) and under that a folder : "data" clicking on the data folder gives me"default" and clicking on "default" gives me a bunch of files such as ".1password.key, .password.hint, 3CF..........., 6B5.......etc....
    So that's no good. When I click on the 1Password.html I get an error message in red saying "Problem loading 1 Password data file - a key data file could not be loaded and 1Password Anywhere cannot continue without it. Please see the help guide for troubleshooting tips".

Yes, that's exactly what will happen if you try to access a 1Password vault from the Dropbox app. As brenty and I have mentioned, that's not how you access your 1Password data. So, to put it simply... don't do that! :) To view your 1Password data, you'll need to use the 1Password app, not the Dropbox app. For now, just pretend the Dropbox app doesn't even exist on your iPhone - you won't be using it for this.

To view the data in your secondary vault, follow these steps:

• Open the 1Password app on your iPhone, and tap the Settings icon at the bottom.
    • The top of the screen should say "Settings" (if not, tap the Settings icon a second time).
    • Tap Vaults, then tap on your secondary vault (a check mark should appear next to it).
    • Tap the Categories icon at the bottom.
    • Tap on one of the categories to see your items from the secondary vault.

Does this work?

I am not using 1PW Anywhere to the best of my knowledge....(I think).

Sorry about that, I think we made things confusing by mentioning 1PasswordAnywhere. It's nothing you need to worry about at this point.

However as you can see this is more than a troublesome situation that I've spent days (and you all have too) trying to fix, without any solution or plan that I am able to follow so far. Am extremely frustrated....(as you can tell)

Again, I'm not sure there's anything that needs "fixing" because it sounds like things are set up correctly. But if you're having any trouble using your secondary vault in 1Password, please describe what's not working correctly for you, and we'll take it from there. Thanks! (And sorry this turned out to be such a long message!)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

ok Drew, we have it resolved. The issue was/is that I was trying to access the secondary vault in 1PW on DropBox on my iPhone and wasn't able to - I didn't understand that this was a no-no and couldn't be done.. I guess I really didn't understand the function of DropBox.

Prior to hearing from you in the most recent message (above). I was frustrated enough to remove everything re. .agilebits from the DropBox, removed the secondary vault etc....on 1PW which, of course, deleted the 2ndary vault from DH's iMac, my iPhone, and Dropbox on my MBPro - then started the process all over again. You are correct, in that I really had the vault set up correctly and just didn't know how to access it (or didn't know I couldn't access it) from DropBox. Now I do have everything set up again on all 3 devices - his iMac, my MBPro and my iPHone.

What really caused the confusion (besides my ignorance) was the fact that the .agilebits sharing option on DropBox on my MBPro (and my iPhone) always led me to an HTML & data file that I had created in October 2014 not the one I created a couple of days ago to share the secondary vault with DH. I still don't understand this? Why would that .agilebit s file be dated October 2014...I expected it to be labeled February 24, 2015 or something like that. What is that old file, what is its purpose, and why is it there and why doesn't it get updated? ':-D

BTW, I did find the help section for DropBox and started reading it - should have done that ages ago....I am so appreciative of all your help and the time taken to set me straight on this. I think I've taken up way too much of all of your time and am so pleased that you didn't give up on me. When you have a chance, if you could please just explain that older .agilebits file (mentioned directly above) I might be finally able to leave you-ALL in peace.

many thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tuni12: Ah! That explains it! I am sorry for the trouble, but am relieved that you got it sorted. :)

As for the other confusion, the HTML document is 1PasswordAnywhere, which is a legacy feature aimed at getting 1Password access on devices (or in situations) where the application is not available. Similarly, it and the rest of your 1Password data are actually composed of a 'bundle' of individual files -- one for each item in your vault, along with others. Each of these files (and folders) will only have their timestamp modified if and when they change, which is why yours says October 2014: the folder itself hasn't been modified since then, only the files within it. And, being a folder, it will likely only be modified (and therefore have the timestamp updated) if it is moved, renamed, or has some attributes changed in some way.

And finally, I feel comfortable saying that both the AgileBits folks and the community at large are happy to be of help. So no need to leave us 'in peace'; better to leave with a little more knowledge than when you came, knowing that 'the door is open' if we can be of help in the future as well! ;)

• tuni12
    tuni12
    Community Member

I believe I have some understanding of the whole process now, sure didn't before....and I thank you one and all. :-)

• Thanks for the update @tuni12. Glad to hear you're up to speed now. :)

This discussion has been closed.